2018GT - A10 acceleration issues

Hardk0re

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Recently bought a 18 GT with the 10 speed auto. While it’s anything but the smoothest transmission I've driven, it seems to work ok from a stop. Many times when I'm in traffic around 30-40kph if I drop the hammer to accelerate when there is an opening it drops to a lower gear and simply redlines, tach turns red and flashes. I expect it to drop a gear and accelerate....not make a bunch of noise and look like an idiot. I've taken it to ford and they simply say things are normal and it drives fine and there are no issues. This seems to only happen when I'm in Sport or Sport+. This is totally not something I expected from a "performance" vehicle.

So I'm really asking if this is simply normal behaviour? or should I be taking it in to another dealer? Haven't seen any threads with other people having similar issues.
Sponsored

Assh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red GT
I'd get rid of it, obviously a lemon.

Mine has never done that!

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
What's your redline set at?

Assh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red GT
I'm pretty sure he was being facetious,

I know I was.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
If you are in Sport mode and made any shifts with the paddles, it will not shift by itself, so of course you will look like an idiot redlining in whatever gear you were in until you either paddle up or shift it back to D.

Also, try pulling the battery overnight to make sure to clear all the memory out and let the trans relearn.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
If the shifter is in S position and you activate paddle mode by using the paddles atleast once, it wont shift by its self you need to upshift and downshift with paddles (it will auto downshift if you go below a certain speed in each gear). If this is happening when the shifter is in D, then you have some type of issue.

Personally I love paddle mode and use it most of the time but you can hit the limiter on accident if you dont shift soon enough.

Also Ive noticed weird high rev neutral feeling behavior when using sport mode before the trans is warmed up. I leave the transmission in Drive and normal mode until its warm.

Last edited:

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Once or twice I've had a problem with the A10 just redlining and hanging there at the rev limiter, but it was probably because I accidentally or unknowingly had gone into the manual shift mode. I say probably because I can't duplicate it, and I don't know for sure that I didn't hit the paddles by mistake.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you are in Sport mode and made any shifts with the paddles, it will not shift by itself, so of course you will look like an idiot redlining in whatever gear you were in until you either paddle up or shift it back to D.

Also, try pulling the battery overnight to make sure to clear all the memory out and let the trans relearn.
If the shifter is in S position and you activate paddle mode by using the paddles atleast once, it wont shift by its self you need to upshift and downshift with paddles. If this is happening when the shifter is in D, then you have some type of issue.

Personally I love paddle mode and use it most of the time but you can hit the limiter on accident if you dont shift soon enough.

Also Ive noticed weird high rev neutral feeling behavior when using sport mode before the trans is warmed up. I leave the transmission in Drive and normal mode until its warm.
The above is absolutely 100% correct.

If the trans is in “S” OR you have used the center stack toggle for Drive Mode “S+” - the moment you touch a paddle on the steering wheel, the transmission reverts to full manual mode. The transmission will not upshift at all and it can and will redline until the driver uses the paddle to shift again.

Maybe you are unaware of how Trans Mode “S” or Drive Mode “S+” functions.

OP
OP

Hardk0re

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I guess it IS possible I hit the paddle. But since it downshifted redlined then I let off the gas and back on it then things go back to normal.

I did pull the battery overnight and that did make the car drive ALOT better and I haven’t been able to reproduce since.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Glad the battery pull worked to clear up drivability issues. I have not had to do that myself but it would be the first thing I do if I ever have issues.
Sponsored