What is this on my deck lid panel?

mikgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT California Special
I would start off with waxing it like others have commented. At the very least it won't do any damage, and is quite good at cleaning stains.
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Taking the panel off isn't difficult, just watch some youtube videos to see how it's done. I replaced my OE gloss black panel with pre-painted one in ingot silver from AM. Looks much better and is a lot easier to keep it looking clean.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I’ve never used a polisher before. What specific polishing compound would you recommend? Looks like I can get a polisher on Amazon for 50 bucks.
Here’s everything you need. As you can see with a little time and patience you may be able to bring it back..

So everyone knows the rear deck lid (trunk lid) center section (appliqué) is EASILY scratched on the 2018+ S550’s, more easily than the prior 2015-2017’s.

Shit, you look at it and it scratches...

I decided to give a product a try that I’ve used in the past on other vehicles. I figured what’s the worse that happens, I F-it-up more?

I used the following:
1) Porter Cable 7424 polisher
2) Griot’s Garage 3” adapter plate
3) Griot’s Garage 3” pad kit (only used the ORANGE pad and the BLACK microfiber).
4) McGuiar’s PLASTX (Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish)
5) Microfiber hand towel (contaminant free)

STEPS:
A) Mask off the emblem

B) Open trunk lid (best way for me). Some may prefer it to be closed. If closed, be sure to mask off top of bumper cover and edges of taillights closest to appliqué to avoid hitting them with polisher.

C) Apply PLASTX to the ORANGE pad

D) Porter Cable setting for me, I used (6).

E) Apply pad to decklid, rub pad and product onto decklid, THEN turn it on. ONLY DO SIDE TO SIDE passes, don’t go in circles, don’t go up and down. Do a total of (6) passes.

F) Use BLACK pad, apply to decklid, turn on and again only do SIDE TO SIDE passes to remove the PLASTX.

G) Use Hand Microfiber Towel. Make sure it’s 1000% contaminant free and is preferably new - because if the towel has ANYTHING on it, it’s gonna scratch the panel again! Do side to side passes (lightly) to remove any leftover PLASTX reside that the pad could not get and to clean up around the emblem.

Check out your work and results. If needed, repeat above steps.

I should have taken before pics, cause my 2018 rear panel looked like someone used sandpaper on it - but didn’t think to take before pics.. ugh.

Here’s the AFTER pics, I think it looks damn good! If enlarging the pics, the “specs” seen in the images is freaking pollen, it’s bad right now!

EA2F6F56-87D8-4188-B2D1-3BFE52BBB79B.jpeg
0E15E88B-3A60-4647-A869-D08BBE040C81.jpeg
1F1C9AFB-87BA-4A19-B065-69AEBD6E5461.jpeg
136202F0-FC62-4EFD-8CC5-3A47816B8D39.jpeg
260DD9B0-3111-4E06-BCE3-1E46C09E671E.jpeg
1AF6E704-2F96-42D9-A18E-F78A75E5FD7F.jpeg
3BAAE6A7-0B9E-4EC1-A867-A4F85E41D1F4.jpeg

BTW -
Using the same products and process above on the S550 headlights will also produce excellent results!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Before you get carried away buying polishes and tools, rub it with newspaper. It's a very effective mild abrasive.

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
I just happened to play around with my decklid and my DA last weekend. I thought I'd do some experimenting to get the thousands of scratches off or just buy a replacement if I screwed it up. You can find these decklids all over eBay now for cheap.

Something I learned the hard way: DA polishing with a liquid wax just makes it smear and impossible to wipe off. It looked awful in the sunlight like it was coated in petroleum jelly.

So what worked:

3 inch DA polisher, orange correcting pad, Novus 2 fine scratch remover for plastic (but I think you could sub in any medium compound here like Meguiars Ultimate Compound).
Move quickly to avoid burning! I just did about 6 passes with this. It will remove most defects but will leave it looking slightly hazy (just like paint).
Followed up with black finishing pad and Meguiars Ultimate Polish. THIS made it look perfectly shiny!
Lastly, any liquid wax safe for plastic trim (I used Meguiars Liquid Wax)...just applied by hand with a foam pad/microfiber cloth. NO POLISHER FOR THIS STEP!

Doing this removed about 90% of the scratches and returned the luster it had off the lot. I think I could go back over it again and remove the remaining scratches if I was a little more aggressive. However, I was so happy with the results, I didn't see the need to risk it. You have to put your face right up on it at the perfect angle to see the remaining scratches.

Sponsored

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Taking the panel off isn't difficult, just watch some youtube videos to see how it's done. I replaced my OE gloss black panel with pre-painted one in ingot silver from AM. Looks much better and is a lot easier to keep it looking clean.
Picture please - thanks.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
First off it’s already damaged so there is zero harm in trying to buff it out. I’ve polished everything from the decklid on my 2019 to the top of a original PS4 never had any issues.

I would start with Meguiars ultimate polish, you can try polishing by hand before you invest in a orbital buffer. Just put some on a microfiber pad. I would try polishing it. If that doesn’t show any signs of improvement you can step up to ultimate compound, which is a cutting compound it’s a little more abrasive. If you use that you are going to want to finish with the polishing compound after. It’s definitely worth a try before having it repainted or buying a new one.
I've also used Ultimate Polish on plastic with great results.

There's also Meguiars PlastX, but I've never tried it.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium

CanadaCalvin88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I may do that, but I'm kinda in the mood to buy something. I think I'm gonna get this one - free returns so why not: https://www.amazon.com/DECKER-WP900...6VXZSTVN2VHM&qid=1566870965&s=gateway&sr=8-16

Can anyone recommend what pads I should use?
I had a machine similar to that one, and all it was good for was applying wax and no real paint correction. I ended up buying a porter cable DA off of Amazon with some 6" foam polishing pads which does a great job when paired with HD Speed.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I had a machine similar to that one, and all it was good for was applying wax and no real paint correction. I ended up buying a porter cable DA off of Amazon with some 6" foam polishing pads which does a great job when paired with HD Speed.
Would what I'm doing to the panel be comparable to paint correction?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Would what I'm doing to the panel be comparable to paint correction?
Yes

By the way, just wondering if you’re reading you own post. The answers to “what pads to use” are shown in post 33. Cobra jet knows what he is doing so why not follow his recommendations?
Sponsored