Sponsored

GT350 Resonator Delete Cutout

beaster24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I recently had the resonators deleted by an exhaust shop off my GT350. They cut out the resonators and replaced just that section with 2.5in piping. I understand that deleting the resonators I will here different tones, but I think what I'm hearing is abnormal and it doesn't sound good.I am getting a extra tone in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear in the 3k-5k rpm range when accelerating hard. Is anyone else experiencing this on their resonator deletes and if you had an exhaust shop do the work how did they do it the same as mine with 2.5in piping or differently? Would love to hear some feedback as I'm considering just purchasing a corsa delete and getting rid of what I currently have.
Sponsored

OP
OP

beaster24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Any vids?
I tried to take videos of it, but it's hard hear the sound on my phone with all of the extra wind noise since you can't hear it with just revving. It's almost like an extra tin can sound added to the exhaust note as soon as it hits those RPM levels, but only when I'm accelerating hard.

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it’s lose and vibration?

OP
OP

beaster24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Maybe it’s lose and vibration?
That's what I thought it was, but I haven't gotten under it to move things around which I need to do. I took it back to the exhaust shop but he blew me off like I was questioning his work when I explained the issue to him and for him to listen to it. He made the guarantee that there was nothing lose, which I don't know if I believe at the moment.

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Anyone tried repacking the stock “suitcase “ resonator with the magnaflow resonated Tru X.

I just did it for my 18 GT/whipple with cat deletes after the stock one went bad .
It’s pure sex .
wonder if it will fit the GT 350 ?
I am thinking of doing the same for mine which also has cat delete s

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Sounds like the pipes installed are doing exactly that the resonator was designed to protect against.

Resonate frequencies. If everything is tight clampwise try wrapping some heat tape around the pipes in a couple a places. You may have a heat shield getting excited under the car from the resonating.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
I recently had the resonators deleted by an exhaust shop off my GT350. They cut out the resonators and replaced just that section with 2.5in piping. I understand that deleting the resonators I will here different tones, but I think what I'm hearing is abnormal and it doesn't sound good.I am getting a extra tone in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear in the 3k-5k rpm range when accelerating hard. Is anyone else experiencing this on their resonator deletes and if you had an exhaust shop do the work how did they do it the same as mine with 2.5in piping or differently? Would love to hear some feedback as I'm considering just purchasing a corsa delete and getting rid of what I currently have.
Regarding the Corsa I have it in my car. You can search YouTube for videos posted by “tdcfpc” I have a mic. recording the exhaust in different situations (on track, street, toggle between normal and sport, etc.)

OP
OP

beaster24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Sounds like the pipes installed are doing exactly that the resonator was designed to protect against.

Resonate frequencies. If everything is tight clampwise try wrapping some heat tape around the pipes in a couple a places. You may have a heat shield getting excited under the car from the resonating.
I can definitely try that, some regular heat tape or do they have automotive heat tape? I did not reattach the heat shield in that location where the straight pipes were put in place of the resonators. Possibly this could be a cause for the issue as well.

Regarding the Corsa I have it in my car. You can search YouTube for videos posted by “tdcfpc” I have a mic. recording the exhaust in different situations (on track, street, toggle between normal and sport, etc.)
Thanks, I'll check them out.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I can definitely try that, some regular heat tape or do they have automotive heat tape? I did not reattach the heat shield in that location where the straight pipes were put in place of the resonators. Possibly this could be a cause for the issue as well.

Basic heat tape would work. The heat tape would be changing the pitch of the pipes. A few wraps in random places.

Also bang on it a few times with a rubber mallet and listen for rattles.[/QUOTE]

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
There's another issue inherent with the GT350's in general that manifests in a "plastic bag in the wind" type noise at certain RPM ranges that has been tracked down to the plate that's sandwiched between the transmission and the block. Possible this is an issue, but not sure why you'd be hearing it after a resonator delete. I had this issue in my car and it only manifested after getting the engine hot on a mountain run and was later solved with some lead tape on that sandwiched plate to change it's harmonics.

OP
OP

beaster24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Basic heat tape would work. The heat tape would be changing the pitch of the pipes. A few wraps in random places.

Also bang on it a few times with a rubber mallet and listen for rattles.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm going to get it up in the air on Thursday and see what I can find. I've also read there is a small piece of metal that has 2 rivets holding it in near the front of where the resonator was that can come loos so I'm going to check that as well.

So is the consensus that I should reattach the heat shield with clamps?

There's another issue inherent with the GT350's in general that manifests in a "plastic bag in the wind" type noise at certain RPM ranges that has been tracked down to the plate that's sandwiched between the transmission and the block. Possible this is an issue, but not sure why you'd be hearing it after a resonator delete. I had this issue in my car and it only manifested after getting the engine hot on a mountain run and was later solved with some lead tape on that sandwiched plate to change it's harmonics.
Thanks for the tip, I did notice one of your posts in a thread I was reading about this, but I didn't think this was it due to it literally manifested right after I did the resonator delete and it seems to get better as the temperature gets hotter. It may just be the way he did the delete. He deleted just the resonator part and then welded in 2.5" ss piping. Some of the other places I read, people removed a larger section and actually welded in 2.75" piping. I'm not sure if the difference of flow could be causing an odd resonance at those rpm's with WOT, I'm an electrical engineer with little knowledge of fluid dynamics. You can see that small section where the resonators was meant to be 2.5" as well, not 2.75" as most threads claim.

Last edited:

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
recommend checking your exhaust hangers. To ensure they are not broken too. Especially the ones hidden under your rear diffuser.

OP
OP

beaster24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
recommend checking your exhaust hangers. To ensure they are not broken too. Especially the ones hidden under your rear diffuser.
Good point, I'll make sure to check those too. Thanks.

OP
OP

beaster24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Wanted to update everybody. Late last week I got her up in the air and checked everything all through the exhaust, nothing was loose from tapping around everywhere. I reinstalled the heat shield though and went back out on a drive, but the sound still persisted. I decided to just order the Shifteck xpipe and it was delivered in less than 3 days. I got it installed this afternoon and it sounds great, the noise I was hearing with the previous resonator delete is gone.
Sponsored