Sponsored

Petrol station visit

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Petrol isn't available in my state or the two adjacent states. :shock:

We common, Heinz 57, everyday, simple folk simply fill up with gasoline.
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Being factual, gasoline isn't a combustible liquid. You can toss a match into a 55 gallon drum of gas, and it will just go out. It's the vapors that combust.

With modern gasoline pumps and evaporative fuel systems on vehicles, it's pretty safe.
I think you meant dunk the match right. Pretty sure the vapors coming off your 55 gallon drum example will ignite before the match hits the surface. You are correct though...gasoline is flammable and diesel is combustible. Has something to do with flashpoint temperature.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I've always shut my car down when filling up. I did manage one time to fill up, on Saturday, heading into work for some overtime. For some reason, I was in an extremely happy mood. I was so excited after filling up, I jumped into my little GMC and took off. Only problem was, the pump handle was still in the filler neck! Pulled the handle and hose right off the pump. Drove back into the lot and walked in with my head hung low in shame and told the clerk. She said just to roll it up out front, happens all the time.

Als saw someone smoking at the pump while filling up. Now, there's PROBABLY not a danger in leaving the car running while filling up, but SMOKING at the pump is just idiotic. Dude just gets out the p.o.s. he was driving fires up coffin nail and starts pumping gas. Darwin award waiting to happen.
Very true about smoking......you go from dumb to dumber by doing that. I think the assumption is that not all cars are maintained properly and could cause a fire inadvertently. Also, if you think people make mistakes driving, do you really want to trust them filling up their car. I have not looked, but I would think the danger is more in someone forgetting their car is on or in gear and hitting something. Whether it is just fire or danger or people being idiots in general is probably debatable. Having the car off at least mitigates some of the danger.

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red
If you're a grown up you can manage 2 minutes in the heat or cold to fill up, get over the fact that the engine isn't fully warmed up, and that it's an "inconvenience".

There's no need to be macho/stupid that "I've been doing it this way for 30 years!". If on the off chance something goes wrong it's not just your life that would be in danger and THAT is what makes it just plain reckless and stupid through and through.

If something did happen at a gas station whether it was an engine idling or a moron smoking a cigarette and both of us survived the "incident" - I can guarantee that there will be a second incident right after which the moron will not survive.

This just encourages the people with shitty old cars that shouldn't even be on the road to do the same

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I always thought that filling with the car on could lead to a check engine light on. Maybe not on the Mustang since there isn’t a gas cap.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I usually leave my F150 running because it takes forever and a day to get/keep that big cabin cool, and it has a PIN pad for re-entry if I go inside. I usually turn my pony off at the pumps but also if I see a moron with a cigarette near the pumps I won't even stop. That said, I only buy top tier rated gasoline for all of my vehicles.

Deleted member 35644

Since the station is maybe .2 miles from my house, I leave it running to continue warming up while I fuel. However, I don't get in and out of the car. I stand by the car, usually with my hand on the roof rail or fender while the gas cap is off.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I just do not understand why lately people have been leaving their engines on.
Maybe because it is so hot in Atlanta, GA. Currently, in the 85-90's...! They just can't wait for the airconditioning to cool the car.

Just weird...

Sponsored

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
I guess static electricity doesn't exist where people leave their engines off while refueling. Must have removed the "Turn your engine off" warnings.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I have always and will continue to turn my cars off when refueling. Not because of danger or being smart or stupid but because that's what my dad did every time and that's just how it works in my mind. I have zero fear or care if the person next to me leaves their car on when refueling. Also, didn't mythbusters do a thing on car explosions? They don't blow up like Hollywood portrays although I'm sure being covered in burning gasoline might suck.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Look what I found today at a local Exxon station. I didn't think to look when I refueled a different car at a Shell stationl
Gas Pump Warning Sign - Exxon Station in Raleigh.jpg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Look what I found today at a local Exxon station. I didn't think to look when I refueled a different car at a Shell stationl
These warning labels have been on pumps for as long as I’ve been driving (I’m 67). This is nothing new. I’ve never, ever had a problem nor have I witnessed one. That said I can and will live without my AC for five minutes when I fill up.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
You read the instructions and warnings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could lose your man card for that!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored