US 'Detailing' vs UK 'washing the car'

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Arrived this morning :thumbsup:

£48 - Bargain I hope lol, and even found a discount code :like: (see the Invoice in the pic)

https://cartecuk.com/collections/tools-equipment/products/autotriz-nano-2-0-mini-polishing-kit

Benno
Dammit Benno, I've bought enough detailing supplies recently - don't need more irresistible bargains flaunted in my face!

So what are your plans for it? Will you attack the wheels? I guess the decklid could be a good target too...

If I had a rotary, I'd snap this up right now. I wonder if I can get a cheap 2nd hand one just for the task hmmm

Benno2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT - TripleYellow \ Black stripes
Dammit Benno, I've bought enough detailing supplies recently - don't need more irresistible bargains flaunted in my face!

So what are your plans for it? Will you attack the wheels? I guess the decklid could be a good target too...

If I had a rotary, I'd snap this up right now. I wonder if I can get a cheap 2nd hand one just for the task hmmm
Hi

Will be having a go at some marks on the wheels - finger polishing works on them but a pain to do to much of.

It should fit my Dremel and they’re pretty good prices on eBay for basic ones.

Benno

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
Another afternoon of cleaning and polishing. I got the jet washer out today, snow foam and all of that malarky.

I do like a black tyre :like:

IMG_20190317_145052.jpg

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Another afternoon of cleaning and polishing. I got the jet washer out today, snow foam and all of that malarky.

I do like a black tyre :like:
Is your car even clean if you don’t dress the tyres?

Curious...how often do you polish? Assuming you’re just using a finishing polish/one step?

Mines been polished once since i got it (not by me) but i’m itching to do it

Sponsored

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Is your car even clean if you don’t dress the tyres?

Curious...how often do you polish? Assuming you’re just using a finishing polish/one step?

Mines been polished once since i got it (not by me) but i’m itching to do it
When the weather is good over the spring/summer/autumn I polish/wax at least once a month with the machine. Sometimes I'll give it a hand job in the week.

As I've said before I don't really have a life, if I'm not driving, then washing/polishing/waxing and admiring is the next best thing :like:

I'm crap mechanically (I can just about change an air filter) but cleaning, detailing I can do that without breaking stuff.

miketango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
First clean today...

What brush are people using to clean the barrel of the wheels ? I have the wheel woolies but even the medium is too large to fit between the calliper and wheel.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks,

Ian

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
First clean today...

What brush are people using to clean the barrel of the wheels ? I have the wheel woolies but even the medium is too large to fit between the calliper and wheel.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks,

Ian
EZ detail brush. Only problem is that because it’s relatively wide - and the gaps in the spokes if the wheels are small, it has a tendency to flick soap everywhere when pulling it out! Not too bad but a narrower one would work better.

As a brush though it works better than the wheel woolys for the barrel

I doubt you’ll find one thin and long enough to get between the caliper and wheel, thats a roll forward an wash again task!

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Question of the day...for those nerdy enough to clean tires; do you scrub each wash? Every other wash? Or as needed?

Recently I've given them a good scrub every wash - which hasn't been very often in the past few months, and I go through a shocking amount of rubber cleaner! I watched a youtube vid the other day (Ammo NYC), and he commented that cleaning too often can dry out the rubber & cause it to crack. Must admit, my pzeros look like they are cracking on the edges...

Curious to know what others do? I find the tires do become greasy if left alone, or only scrubbed with normal shampoo.

Sponsored

miketango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I've been cleaning my tyres at every wash (probably every other week) but like you have also been questioning whether I actually need to do this. I guess it just depends how dirty they are.

My process is to clean with this stuff http://tufshine.com/tire_cleaner.html and then apply a 50/50 mix of Carpro PERL. I've pretty much been through all the tyre treatments but have now found a process that works for me.

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
I clean my tyres during every wash. This is not intensive though, just hose down and rub down with a sponge. I don't use anything on them except for tyre shine. I've been cleaning my tyres the same way for years and never had an issue.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Been using a 'Worx Hydroshot' now for a few months. Nowhere near the power of a pressure washer and the battery doesn't last long. However, enough pressure for snow foam and reasonable output if your normal hose is a good pressure. Overall, I'd recommend for sheer convenience. So much better than my hateful Karcher tat.

worx-wg629e-hochdruckreiniger-hydro-shot-1.jpg

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Wheel cleaning : My wheels have been given the full GTechniq treatment and are the easiest wheels to clean, ever. I spray on a 50/50 solution of Virosol/water, agitate quickly with soft brush and then jet wash off. A final wash over with ordinary car shampoo solution and final rinse and, voila, very clean wheels. Tyres are simply washed and then treated with Swissvax Pneu (which just needs misting on from the spray bottle - no scrubbing/wiping required) and they come up very nice and never had any problems with rubber drying out/cracking.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT