Sponsored

MBRP Race catback. How bad is the drone?

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
cant decide between the street or race MBRP Catbacks or the Magnaflow competition. The Magnaflow is stupid expensive though so I’m leaning MBRP. The race setup sounds deeper than the street version (or is it just as deep but not as loud)? How bad is the drone with MBRP? I’m in the highway a lot.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I don't have either but with magnaflow your paying for a brand name, not worth it. Everyone here seems to love the race mufflers, there are mixed reviews on drone if you read through them. I would say go for the race, give it a month to break in, if you don't like it you can sell the mufflers fast on here and pick up a set of street mufflers.

OP
OP

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
I don't have either but with magnaflow your paying for a brand name, not worth it. Everyone here seems to love the race mufflers, there are mixed reviews on drone if you read through them. I would say go for the race, give it a month to break in, if you don't like it you can sell the mufflers fast on here and pick up a set of street mufflers.
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?
Not on this car, I have on couple of others. In the beginning I didn't want an aftermarket exhaust on this car but the more I research and listen to clips I'll be going with the mbrp race. When I decide to purchase.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have the MBRP Race catbacks and love them. They have a nice deep tone and aren't that loud at idle or cruising, and I don't have much drone at cruise. When you step on it though its very loud! What I cant tell you is how it sounds with a stock downpipe since my prior 2015 (Corsa) and my current 2018 (CVF) had/have 3" catted downpipe at time of installation. As you can see, I chose to install the MBRP a second time over the others after researching again. It definitely turns heads when you hit it going by someone. LOL

Sponsored

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I've had the the MBRP race in my '16 ecoboost for a bit over a year. First ever after market exhaust I ever put in a car, I can tell you that, at first, I DID worry a bit about the drone (probably because I was not used to any...), but after a while, maybe 200 miles, either I got used to it or the sound improved (probably a mix of both - as there is a bit of a "break in" period). At the time, I also did a lot of HW driving. After the 200 miles-ish went by, I LOVED it. It is a deep sound rather than high pitch, and its price is reasonable.
You have to keep in mind that if you accelerate quickly/a bit aggressively it will make a deep growl. The only thing I miss about stock exhaust is that you can quietly take off without sounding like you are trying lol....
So keep in mind:
1) If you are new to aftermark exhaust, it will take some time to adjust, since you are going from "quiet" to some sound.
2) Upon (hard) take offs you will be heard, you either will like it or you won't. I like it, but there are benefits to being QUIET.
3) Drone is not bad, but there is SOME as opposed to stock..

Last edited:

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
The drone isn't really that bad. Only issue is that it is complete shit quality wise. And fitment was not very good either. Even after making MANY adjustments it never fit right. Which kinda sucks because it does sound good. But I would never recommend it to anyone.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
The drone isn't really that bad. Only issue is that it is complete shit quality wise. And fitment was not very good either. Even after making MANY adjustments it never fit right. Which kinda sucks because it does sound good. But I would never recommend it to anyone.
I've read mixed reviews about the fitment. I personally did not have any fitment issues, some that did take it to a shop with a successful install, and some return it. I THINK most fitment issues are when they try to install in the convertible. As for quality, Ive had mine for a bit over a year , 30k miles and still looks good.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Maybe I just got one of the bad ones. But I know for my 2018 I will not be considering mbrp. Granted at this point I probably am only going to do an axle back instead of a full cat-back this time around.
Sponsored