Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Have you done mid Ohio yet?

I'm down to join if you schedule this one. Keep me posted.
I haven't yet. Excited for it, though. Heard great things. Just need to confirm with Mark from MVP Track Days hes cool with me just signing up for Sat/Sun. Since Mid-Ohio is quite a long haul from Road America, I'd like to use Friday as buffer for driving down. Email has been sent. Will keep you posted.

Both Road America and Mid Ohio are in range for me. I have a lot of time at MO, but I've never been to Road America yet.

Road Atlanta and VIR are far for me, but both fantastic tracks. And WGI is one of my all-time faves, though I haven't been since 2014 ...
Sweet. Road America is with DMTD and run as open track. I haven't run with them yet, but only ever heard of great things. Road America is going to be exciting for sure. I have quite a few virtual laps around it :)

Let me know which ones you're in for!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Venom52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 CFTP, 23 Durango SRT 392
I'll be at mid-ohio for IMSA in May while visiting family out there. Looks like a fantastic to drive on.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
A couple of us were discussing going to the September WG Chin event when they posted their schedule late last year. I'm good with that date. Welcome to the N.E.!
Pretty cool that you get to tour around the country hitting all these iconic tracks, I'm jelly.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
A couple of us were discussing going to the September WG Chin event when they posted their schedule late last year. I'm good with that date. Welcome to the N.E.!
Pretty cool that you get to tour around the country hitting all these iconic tracks, I'm jelly.
Great. We should plan it!

And very grateful for my day job being so flexible and having the world's most tolerant wife. Considering I told her this project would cost about $1K when it was just the OPG/CS and wiring harness, I'm happy to still be alive/married :D

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I have no clue how you can support a day job beyond the Honeybadger! ha!

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Great. We should plan it!

And very grateful for my day job being so flexible and having the world's most tolerant wife. Considering I told her this project would cost about $1K when it was just the OPG/CS and wiring harness, I'm happy to still be alive/married :D
Maybe you should do a Marriage Webcast Seminar?? :). Don't forget to squeeze some MSR Time in Cresson on your list!!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I have no clue how you can support a day job beyond the Honeybadger! ha!
Lots of caffeine and reminding myself that track time is worth it! (no kids helps)

Maybe you should do a Marriage Webcast Seminar?? :). Don't forget to squeeze some MSR Time in Cresson on your list!!
:cwl::cwl::cwl: Today I asked my wife for another word for racing and/or motorsport. She replied "Money Pit." I think my window of reckless car spending is closing. Hehe

And absolutely. Those are a given! We have Cup2s to burn up!

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
While I have some free time to kill, I've been busy planning my 2019 track season. With a non-working car at the moment, there's no better time to make plans :crazy:

Plan to be at every Edge Addicts event at COTA with the exception of probably March:

• May 18-19
  • July 19 (night event)
  • Aug 9-10 (night events)
  • Oct 19-20
  • Dec 14-15
Since I have a "free" weekend with TrackDaze due to the engine problems last year, I have signed up for their March 25-26 days at VIR. To complement, I plan to run with Chin at Road Atlanta the 23/24. (4) straight days should be amazing!

Also working on a trip in August to utilize the days I have saved with David Murry Track Days. These guys have been AWESOME. I've had to cancel on them twice because of car problems (was supposed to be at Sebring with end of month) and both times they have been super accommodating. So I am thinking:

• Road America August 28-29 with DMTD
  • Mid Ohio August 31-Sept 1 with MVP Track Days
  • Watkins Glen Sept 2-3 with Chin
@firestarter2 @Arpa @TDC You guys interested in the WG days? @oldbmwfan - do you ever make it up to Road America? :)
Probably not those days for WG I prefer weekends to save the vacation days. :(

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So the project continues. I've made some adjustments to the oil cooler mounting. Much more stable and provides the needed clearance between the cooler and radiator.
20190115_131123.jpg
20190115_131137.jpg
20190115_131147.jpg

Rubber insulators to allow some NVH absorption.

20190115_131153.jpg

Based on the bearing wear from my engine, I started to explore options to reduce cold start wear and do what I could to prevent oil starvation. While a dry sump seems like an obvious answer, they add a ton of cost ($5K) and complexity (can you say 8 gallon oil changes?). Further research led me to oil accumulators. They seem like a great compromise. and since I'm not endurance racing, the dry sump justification wasn't there (at least for me).

These accumulator store 3qts of oil. They have a valve that opens when oil pressure drops below a certain psi (as dictated by the valve you choose when purchasing). So at start, this will pump oil through the engine as a pre-oiler. And because I chose the electric valve, it will pump oil into the engine if oil pressure ever drops below 37 psi on track - hopefully giving me time to shut off the engine and save it. I've also ordered an LED light to let me know when the valve is open. I'll detail this install once I get the parts.
51mmCcv26RL._SX425_.jpg

SInce I removed the support bars for the radiator support in order to install the oil cooler, I've purchased Quik Latches's QL-38s to use hood latches to hopefully remove some of the stress of keeping the hood stable. And because removing the front bumper is a huge PITA, I'm also going to use a pair of their mini latches on the front fascia. Screw those little 7mm bolts behind the wheel liner.
x20170223_152446.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ftzAgtRRdc.jpg

Next up for me is build some radiator ducting to guide air into the radiator and oil cooler. Bought some aluminum sheets and rivets last week, so this should be fun (why, oh why didn't I learn how to weld growing up?).

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
yeah SCREW those bolts. sometimes you have two of them!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Finally had a chance to (hastily) edit video of the tear down investigation.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Short block dropped off at MPR Racing Engines yesterday. The wait is going to be brutal. Oye.

In town for the Rolex 24, so at least I'll have something to preoccupy me this weekend!

In other news, I've also added a QA1 Driveshaft and the MMR Oil Filter relocation kit. Now just I need to figure out where to put it :)