2018 Mustang GT Non-pp Manual gear ratio question

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Unfortunately I didn’t get the PP like I should have. I have upgraded my wheels and tires already. I’m looking to my next upgrade. I was thinking CAI with a tune and headers but then I got looking at the performance package features and what I was missing.

The Torsen slip differential with 3.73 gears. I’ve tried searching for what my current gears are. One place says 3.31 and another says 3.55 and I don’t know which is right. That being said what is your opinion? Should I upgrade the slip differential and go 3.73 gears or do what I was gonna do with the CAI and headers?

I have the non pp manual Mustang GT
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Not planning on forced induction. Really just wanted to do CAI with headers and a tune.

Then I got wondering how much missing a Torsen slip differential and 3.73 gears is holding me back. Isn’t that supposed to not only help you accelerate faster via the gears but the Torsen helps keep the power to the ground? Just curious how much slower my acceleration is without it

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Standard gearing was 3.31, 3.51 was an option.

Are you concerned about the gearing or differential (as these are two completely almost independent things) ? I can almost guarantee differential is absolutely irrelevant and is not holding you back in anything (acceleration on the street ?), gearing is unlikely to as well....

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
De

Are you concerned about the gearing or differential (as these are two completely almost independent things) ? I can almost guarantee differential is absolutely irrelevant and is not holding you back in anything (acceleration on the street ?), gearing is unlikely to as well....
Depends on the year. 3.55s are standard on the 2018+ manuals

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Thanks for the info. What is the reason for really wanting performance package then? Better handling?

By what you said....should i just move forward then with the CAI + Headers and not worry about the differential and gears? The reason I was asking about the differential is because it helps keep power to the ground and i wasant sure if my differential could house 3.73

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
You have to look at the Perf Package list of features. Yes primarily for handling, better brakes, staggered wheels, Torsen limited-slip differential and 3.73s. I don't think 3.55 to 3.73 is a big enough jump to be honest to make the change. The more power you add to this car, the better 3.55s will be as you'll have more controllable power. I know the 3.73s are taller than the 3.73s in '15-17 GTs though. I had a '15 with 3.73 and forced induction and I definitely wished I had 3.31 or 3.55.

While the perf package is nice, the way I drive the stock GT handles awesome for me as it is.

boxstang40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 lx hatch
Dont forget your trans is geared higher than the 15-17. So if u want the acceleration like the 15-17pp you need the 4.09 gears. I drove the 18pp manual with 3.73 and its definitely not the same as a 15-17 with the 3.73. This is if you stay n/a of course.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Performance package has way more things in it than just differential - brakes, radiator, different shocks/struts & sway bars. Differential keeps power to the ground when you have uneven traction between wheels on a same axle - so you have to define what you're after.

Good comments above (and I stand corrected on the 3.31 vs. 3.55 - 3.31 was standard on 15-17) - '18+ transmission is much taller geared than '15-'17. My '18 with 3.73 seems lazier than '15 with 3.55.

boxstang40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 lx hatch
As @kz stated, it depends what your goals are. PP is suited for road course. If you prefer straight line acceleration the diff you have is best for you. If you like twisties you want a torsen. Also consider the type of driving you do on a regular basis before changing gear ratios. If you do a lot of highway driving you may want to keep that 3.55. Lots of things to consider here.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I will add to the above - I have 3.73 and run shorter (255 in the rear - winter set of DWS06 which is 255 all around) tire and the fuel economy hit on a highway is visible (since this effectively make gearing even shorter).

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I believe all GT's come from the factory with limited slip, just may not be the Torsen and be a clutch pack type. My 18 window sticker states limited slip but it does not have the Torsen. Although I would much prefer having the Torsen, I use my GT as a weekend car and occasional commuter so the basic limited slip works for me.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I believe all GT's come from the factory with limited slip, just may not be the Torsen and be a clutch pack type. My 18 window sticker states limited slip but it does not have the Torsen. Although I would much prefer having the Torsen, I use my GT as a weekend car and occasional commuter so the basic limited slip works for me.
Not just all GTs - all 15+ Mustangs have LSD. V6s and Ecoboosts as well.

OP
OP

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thank you all for the replies. I found my info sheet that was in the window of the car and it said it’s 3.55 gears.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
Just to jump in late. All of the newer mustangs have the LSD which is actually pretty good, streets or track. For hard core track use where you hit the bumpers and have the potential to bounce at an inopportune time etc..., some say the LSD is actually better (Torsion can't operate with a wheel off the ground) which makes me wonder why ford makes such a big deal of their torsion on the PP and GT350 but i digress. As far as gearing, i doubt that makes much a diff either, unless you are hard core drag racing. I am throwing almost the entire steeda suspension catalogue on my 301A and a wilwood big brake kit so that negates the suspension and brake benefits of a PP over the base. I have zero plans to pull my LSD and 3.15s, but then again, i may add forced induction down the road. I removed the active shutter in my grill and run a very open cervini and cooling looks good. Radiator is actually the same dimensions so i think what is different with the PP and GT350 is that it probably has more coils space inside but until i see i need it, i wont bother upgrading it. I am adding the larger coolant tank so there is more total coolant..though that probably only has a slight impact the factory plastic one is fugly. So far the only thing a PP pack does that i haven't torn off already or addressed is the gauge pack. This is just my opinion and not trying to be rude, but adding more power before addressing the suspension is fruitless. In Chevy terms...turn your mustang into a Gran sport before turning it into a Z06. You wouldn't put that Z06 power on a stingray unless you were suicidal...yest I see Mustang owners doing the ford equivalent of just that on a very frequent basis, which probably explains at least some of the cars and coffee crowd crash issues.
Sponsored