Sponsored

2016 GT350 Blue stripes - which blue? Deep Impact Blue or Lightning Blue?

BigWormGraphix

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigwormgraphix.com
First Name
Team BigWorm
Vehicle(s)
>=2005 muscle cars - camaro, mustang, challengers
That is what Big Worm Graphix told me. He said he uses a $30,000 printer and Kay Automotive uses a $100,000+ printer. Different quality is achieved with the more expensive printer.
We don't use a printer at all, all our stripes are cut from cast vinyl using a computer controlled cuter (similar to a very basic CNC machine, only 2 axis). We looked into the same process that Ford uses, went to several trade shows and talked to several equipment manufacturers. The OEM stripes are printed on clear vinyl with a $100,000+ printer that is difficult to buy and maintain (very few of them in the US). Most of what you can purchase here are $30K printers that also print on cast clear vinyl but it isn't the same quality as what an OEM manufacturer would use so we decided against getting a printer. All of our products get their color when the material is made, after the color the vinyl also goes thru a similar process as a clear coat for UV protection. The process the colored cast vinyl goes thru makes it a much more durable vinyl than anything printed, also has deeper better color. Also if your using a $100k machine to make stripes then the stripes have to cost a lot more, which is why Ford stripes are in the $2k to $3k range and our stripes are in the $200-$300 range. The advantage to a printer is you can make 2 color stripes on one piece of vinyl, you can make a subtle pattern in the material, pictures/logos or almost anything you want to print. So OEM (Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge) can make unique graphics for limited production or unique cars that are very difficult to reproduce in the aftermarket with printed graphics instead of cut vinyl.
Sponsored

OP
OP

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fred Flintstone, two leg power
@BigWormGraphix Got it. Thank you for sharing the process. Just to conform, Kay Automotive uses a printer and you use cast vinyl? I have owned your stripes before and they are indeed quality.

BigWormGraphix

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigwormgraphix.com
First Name
Team BigWorm
Vehicle(s)
@BigWormGraphix Got it. Thank you for sharing the process. Just to conform, Kay Automotive uses a printer and you use cast vinyl? I have owned your stripes before and they are indeed quality.
Correct, the OEM GT350 stripes are made with a printer.

BigWormGraphix

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigwormgraphix.com
First Name
Team BigWorm
Vehicle(s)
@BigWormGraphix Your method of making stripes is cast vinyl. OEM is printed, but does printed mean "calendered vinyl"?
No, printed can be done on cast or calendered vinyl. They even have vinyl that is similar to both in one material.

Sponsored

BigWormGraphix

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigwormgraphix.com
First Name
Team BigWorm
Vehicle(s)
@BigWormGraphix Are the OEM stripes made by Kay Automotive cast or calendered vinyl?
I'm not sure, I doubt they are calendered but could be the cast/calendered combination which they use for other stuff. They keep the details secret they just say it different than the vinyl they sell under the KPMF brand (their retail division). We use their KPMF products for some colors on out color chart including electric blue, dark red and gloss purple.

OP
OP

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure, I doubt they are calendered but could be the cast/calendered combination which they use for other stuff. They keep the details secret they just say it different than the vinyl they sell under the KPMF brand (their retail division). We use their KPMF products for some colors on out color chart including electric blue, dark red and gloss purple.
@BigWormGraphix How close do you get to the OEM 2017-2018 Lightening Blue stripes?

BigWormGraphix

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigwormgraphix.com
First Name
Team BigWorm
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored
OP
OP

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BigWormGraphix Have you ever noticed an issue with paint protection film causing problems with your vinyl or OEM Ford GT350 vinyl? I would hope it helps protect the vinyl from damage and UV issues.

BigWormGraphix

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigwormgraphix.com
First Name
Team BigWorm
Vehicle(s)
@BigWormGraphix Have you ever noticed an issue with paint protection film causing problems with your vinyl or OEM Ford GT350 vinyl? I would hope it helps protect the vinyl from damage and UV issues.
Havn't see that before, some older paint protection film used to yellow over time.

BigWormGraphix

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigwormgraphix.com
First Name
Team BigWorm
Vehicle(s)
I don't see this color on you website. Is it still available? Thanks
yes! It's just our metallic blue and is currently available. Very odd. If there's a link in particular you cannot find it please respond with it and I'll take a double check for it. Also we are always happy to send free samples of it in the US if you'd like to see it before ordering.

Thanks!
Sponsored