Sponsored

2016 GT350 Blue stripes - which blue? Deep Impact Blue or Lightning Blue?

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fred Flintstone, two leg power
Edit: It appears the 2016 stripes were Sonic Blue and not Deep Impact Blue.

I was told 2016 GT350 blue stripes were Deep Impact Blue and 2017-2018 blue stripes were Lightning Blue. In the order guides below 2017-2018 state "Lightning Blue" while the 2016 order guide states "Blue". Does anyone have any official Ford documentation on what color blue stripes were used for 2016? Thank you.

2016: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...5-2016-shelby-gt350-and-gt350r-mustang.15542/

2017:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2017-gt350-order-guide.49599/

2018:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-shelby-gt350-r-order-guide.87262/
Sponsored

Last edited:

alan0614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford/Blue
Not sure which color is correct for the model years but they are definitely different. 17 is a slightly darker blue.

OP
OP

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure which color is correct for the model years but they are definitely different. 17 is a slightly darker blue.
2017-2018 has Lightning Blue stripes as per the order guides. Lightning Blue is lighter in color than Deep Impact Blue (DIB), of course if DIB was the color used on 2016 blue stripes...just need to figure out what kind of blue the stripes were for 2016.

@Topnotch and @PP0001, Any Ford documentation to help shed light on the original post? Thank you.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
The color was called sonic blue. It was one of Ford's exterior colors.

OP
OP

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The color was called sonic blue. It was one of Ford's exterior colors.
@Shift I assume you’re saying the 2016 stripes are sonic blue. Do you have any Ford documentation to verify this? I don’t doubt you, but looking for Ford documentation. Thank you.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
@Shift I assume you’re saying the 2016 stripes are sonic blue. Do you have any Ford documentation to verify this? I don’t doubt you, but looking for Ford documentation. Thank you.
Didn't save the doc. This was when I first received my car and wanted to do a small project that included replacing the stripes and did a deep dive into the info. Found out it was some old Ford color called Sonic blue, but backed off the project when I found out the price of OEM stripes was bonkers.

OP
OP

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Didn't save the doc. This was when I first received my car and wanted to do a small project that included replacing the stripes and did a deep dive into the info. Found out it was some old Ford color called Sonic blue, but backed off the project when I found out the price of OEM stripes was bonkers.
@Shift You appear to be correct based off a google search for "sonic blue GT350"...it brings up sonic blue stripes in articles for the 2016 model year. I am just trying to find Ford documentation stating it. Kay Automotive makes the stripes for Ford and they're even shocked at how expensive Ford is charging for the strips....almost $2,000 for stripes that should be $500.

OP
OP

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@alan0614 Don't you mean the Sonic blue 2016 stripes are darker than the Lightning blue 2017-2018 stripes? It appears Sonic is darker than Lightning.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
@Shift You appear to be correct based off a google search for "sonic blue GT350"...it brings up sonic blue stripes in articles for the 2016 model year. I am just trying to find Ford documentation stating it. Kay Automotive makes the stripes for Ford and they're even shocked at how expensive Ford is charging for the strips....almost $2,000 for stripes that should be $500.
2 years ago they were priced at over $4000 for the entire set of stripes.

OP
OP

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 years ago they were priced at over $4000 for the entire set of stripes.
@Shift Here is what I am confused about, @fordsvtparts (AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake) have the same part numbers listed for both 2016, 2017, and 2018 blue stripes. How can this be if 2016 was Sonic Blue stripes and 2017-2018 was Lightning Blue stripes...frustrating, especially since this could be a costly mistake if you order or receive the wrong blue stripes.

2016: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe.../5-2l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/stripe-tape-scat

2017: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe.../5-2l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/stripe-tape-scat

2018: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe.../5-2l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/stripe-tape-scat

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
@Shift Here is what I am confused about, @fordsvtparts (AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake) have the same part numbers listed for both 2016, 2017, and 2018 blue stripes. How can this be if 2016 was Sonic Blue stripes and 2017-2018 was Lightning Blue stripes...frustrating, especially since this could be a costly mistake if you order or receive the wrong blue stripes.

2016: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe.../5-2l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/stripe-tape-scat

2017: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe.../5-2l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/stripe-tape-scat

2018: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe.../5-2l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/stripe-tape-scat
No idea, but the 2017+ stripes are brighter than the '16s.. I just ordered an entire set of stripes from Big worm for $250~. It's a possible option for you.

OP
OP

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No idea, but the 2017+ stripes are brighter than the '16s.. I just ordered an entire set of stripes from Big worm for $250~. It's a possible option for you.
I agree with you that the 2017-2018 Lightning Blue stripes are brighter than the 2016 Sonic Blue stripes. I emailed @fordsvtparts and the company (Revolution Parts) that provides @fordsvtparts with their online parts catalog regarding the issue, but have not heard back.

Big Worm Graphix is honest. He told me his stripes are not as quality as OEM and he is the one who educated me on Kay Automotive, how Kay Automotive is contracted by Ford, and reasons why Kay Automotive’s printing quality for stripes is superior. Nice to see honest people still around in this industry. However, Big Worm Graphix does produce great quality products.

I hope @fordsvtparts can get the part numbers figured out regarding the stripes as it would be a letdown to receive the wrong stripes after paying an arm and a leg.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I dont know for sure but my 16 stripes matched my buddy's Deep Impact Blue car

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
2017-2018 has Lightning Blue stripes as per the order guides. Lightning Blue is lighter in color than Deep Impact Blue (DIB), of course if DIB was the color used on 2016 blue stripes...just need to figure out what kind of blue the stripes were for 2016.

@Topnotch and @PP0001, Any Ford documentation to help shed light on the original post? Thank you.
Can't say for sure on the 2016 Blue stripes but can confirm that my 2015 GT350 has DIB stripes with my 2018 GT350R having Lightning Blue stripes.

When having discussions with FP back in 2015 I was advised that the 3 stripe colors used for that MY they would mirror that of paint color options for 2015 which would have been Shadow Black, Oxford White and Deep Impact Blue.

To the best of my knowledge there were no color changes for the 2016MY therefore would suggest that the Blue stripes for the 2016MY would be DIB.

Of course for the 2017MY there were again 3 stripes color options with them being White, Black and Blue but with 2 Blue body paint colors for that year Ford went with the Lightning Blue stripes and not the Grabber Blue stripes.

:)

fordsvtparts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang parts!
I apologize if the online catalog is not correct. While Revolution parts is much better than a previous website hosting company we have used in the past, it is still far from perfect. The same company hosts a majority of the other OE websites as well. I do appreciate you bringing up the issue, and I can imagine Revolution will get the problem corrected.

Enter the VIN of the vehicle of the vehicle when placing an order, and we'll double check it with our Ford catalog. Or, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to double check the part number prior to an order. I wish I had a better answer than this, but is the best we have this time.

The descriptions in the Ford catalogs on our end are not always accurate. The descriptions can be deceiving or downright non existent. Their main goal (Ford) is to provide us with the correct part number for a VIN. Nothing more, nothing less. Simple items such as brake pads don't even have usuable descriptions in our Ford OE catalogs. This makes things even harder for the third party (Revolution) to get things correct.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but hopefully this explains things a bit.

-Mike R
Sponsored