Need Some Help With Buying Midpipes

bruhh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I'm giving my friend my stock Mustang GT catback exhaust for her V6 Mustang and she wants to run it with X pipes. I'm not sure if she should buy the x pipes made for the V6 or the x pipes made for the GT.
X pipes for the V6: https://www.americanmuscle.com/flowmaster-225-scavenger-series-resonator-delete-xpipe-1517-v6.html
X pipes for the GT: https://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-performance-xpipe-1516gt.html
The GT pipes are over a 100 dollars cheaper and I would definitely get those if it didn't matter.

Thanks
Sponsored

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
The pipe size after the cats is the same for the v6 and gt. It is right after that the pipes expand to 2.5in for the gt. Any 2.5in xpipe will do for your friend.

Edit: I have the SR x-pipe on my car. I'm not sure if it were just mine but the part that is supposed to insert into the pipes after the cats are the same size. You will have to expand one of them so that it fits.

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think Fuse's post might confuse you a bit.

The connection from cat to the start of the exhaust pipes are the same on the V6 and GT, the rest steps down to 2.25 compared to 2.5 on the GT.

If you are giving her the whole catback, she should get GT xpipes and axle backs if she wants to change the sound. As an example, I started with a GT catback, then added FP Touring mufflers (from a GT, they didn't make V6 ones for 15-17), then added Steeda's GT x-pipe. Everything fit together perfectly.

OP
OP
bruhh

bruhh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I think Fuse's post might confuse you a bit.

The connection from cat to the start of the exhaust pipes are the same on the V6 and GT, the rest steps down to 2.25 compared to 2.5 on the GT.

If you are giving her the whole catback, she should get GT xpipes and axle backs if she wants to change the sound. As an example, I started with a GT catback, then added FP Touring mufflers (from a GT, they didn't make V6 ones for 15-17), then added Steeda's GT x-pipe. Everything fit together perfectly.
So, would it not matter if she got the GT exhaust or stayed with the stock V6 exhaust? I bought a solo performance exhaust with an x pipe so I have all the stock exhaust from the tip to the mid pipes to give her. She saw this video and wants to figure out how she can make this guy's car sound like hers.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
So, would it not matter if she got the GT exhaust or stayed with the stock V6 exhaust? I bought a solo performance exhaust with an x pipe so I have all the stock exhaust from the tip to the mid pipes to give her. She saw this video and wants to figure out how she can make this guy's car sound like hers.
Yes it matters for which sort of x-pipe she can buy to have it fit without adapters. I would do what Fuse did and put on the GT catback with a GT x-pipe (Steeda's is the best value @ $125 before discount code). I think the video would have done the same thing too, more work to adapt the GT mufflers to V6 pipes.

OP
OP
bruhh

bruhh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
@Nagare okay so I'll give her the GT catback and she'll buy the steeda x pipes.

@Fuse I'm a little confused about what you meant by having to expand a part of the pipe. Did you have to expand your x pipe to fit the catback of the GT system? How did you do that?

Thank you guys

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
@bruhh I only had to expand the part of the xpipe that connects to the cats. It is more of the SR xpipe issue. Muffler shops should have a pipe expander.
Before the xpipe I had the entire gt cat back installed and it fitted properly without any modifications.
If I had to do it over again I'd go with steeda xpipes rather than SR. But at the time there were only had a limited selection of xpipes.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Just make sure whatever parts u buy that aren't part of a full exhaust kit are all the same size 2 1/2 or 3 inch and it's from the catback. Any exhaust shop can mount it right up no problem.
Sponsored