Sponsored

Basic go fast mods

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered 2019 ruby red pp1 A10 with whipple stage 2
What's up, so I have a friend with a 16 eco. I know a lot about the coyote but dont know much about the ecoboost. I know it turboed so I assume a tune and maybe DP will give good gains. What else would you guys recommend.. thanks
Sponsored

TheDonSalami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Fastback
from what ive read the stock intercooler is crap so upgrading that would help maintain power and reduce ecu intervention. some also do a cai and others use stock airbox with a different filter and a larger intake tube

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
one of our lund ngauge and tunes, cai, and offroad downpipe would be the best way to start

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Your first and best bet to start is the intercooler, followed by a tune. TheDonSalami is on the right path, but the CAI is an arguable power upgrade - the others mentioned I agree with for sure, though.

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Intercooler/panel filter/tune (packaged together), downpipe, tires.

If you do not start out with an intercooler, no matter how much power you add, the ECU is going to be constantly hamstrung by heat management. Unless you live in the arctic circle, you will never see full boost and you will always be pulling timing.

Tuning is a personal preference. I like the on-the-fly map switching of the Accessport. I can switch from E30, 93+, to a low boost valet mode all in a couple of seconds so I went that route. The N-Gauge is also a top notch piece of tuning hardware and Lund has a massive rep as well. Can't go wrong with either.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Intercooler + low side fuel pressure sensor (it wont give power, but is known to cause lean issues which can cause engine damage)

Accessport + Sparkplugs + Tune. The Cobb Accessport is better then any other tuning device, and you can use Tune+ or PD Tuning with them, I use Tune+ and love it, others use PD tuning and say good things. Lund tune... I used to use them, until they said I didnt need a tune for parts that say tune required, didnt want to data log. Overall my Tune+ tune is WAY better, more power, more boost, better driveabilty (Lund hard shifts my auto unless you really baby it, which isn't good for most situations IMO) and Ive used both on my car.

After that, more GFB's are:

GFB DV+ BOV (Doesn't make sound, but holds boost better, most useful for manuals saying that)
Wastegate (again holds boost better)
Down pipe (Like doing headers on the GT, more sound, more power)
Exhaust if he wants more sound, a catback exhaust will sound better and do very very little for power unless you do the downpipe.

Then you're looking at flex fuel (E30 can be run on stock, meth/E85 need further mods), bigger turbo, etc.

Most tuners say that the stock block will safely support 400rwhp by the way, and you'll get a bit over 500ft lbs torque on that. To get more then that, a 2.0l build block using some 2.3l parts is the common route (and expensive).

Also yeah, check tyres, they make a huge difference, no point having power if you cant put it down.

TheDonSalami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Fastback
after that, more GFB's are:

GFB DV+ BOV (Doesn't make sound, but holds boost better, most useful for manuals saying that)
I'm not familiar with those acronyms. Other than blow off valve. Can you enlighten this poor peasant please

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Intercooler/panel filter/tune (packaged together), downpipe, tires.
+1 on this, especially for the tires. I did most of the power mods first and it actually made the car less fun to drive, because I had to constantly watch the throttle to avoid traction issues with the crappy OEM P-Zeros.

Sponsored

absurdh3ro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' PP EBM
+1 on this, especially for the tires. I did most of the power mods first and it actually made the car less fun to drive, because I had to constantly watch the throttle to avoid traction issues with the crappy OEM P-Zeros.
what tires do you run? i need to upgrade mines..

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Once you add any power, even the 255 Pirelli's won't lay any power down. I know my Firehawk Indy 500's are damn good tires for the money. I wanted a square setup and I think 275 were the biggest I could go all the way around. I wanted to rotate my tires and didn't want any under steer from a staggered setup. A 40 series sidewall coupled with much lighter lighter wheels was also a big improvement. The stock PP wheels could be used to anchor a cruise ship.

Improved traction out of the hole can feel like a big power upgrade.
IMG_5345.jpg

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
...low side fuel pressure sensor (it wont give power, but is known to cause lean issues which can cause engine damage)
As far as I know this is still an assumption. There is no evidence of a widespread issue with these sensors. Ford is still installing the same sensor on the 2018 cars that were installed on the 2015 cars. Many here have suggested replacing the sensor as a prophylactic, but there is no guarantee the replacement sensor will be any more reliable than the one you remove.

If you have any indication that your sensor may be failing then replace it, otherwise you should probably just leave it be.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I tried Sumitomo HTR Z III XLs and Continental ExtremeContact Sport SLs. Sumitomos there a little cheaper but I feel that Continentals have a little more traction. Either ones are much better than the OEM P-Zeros.

absurdh3ro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' PP EBM
The stock PP wheels could be used to anchor a cruise ship.

Improved traction out of the hole can feel like a big power upgrade.
IMG_5345.jpg
didn't really consider upgrading rims but i will definitely try to look for a deal on black friday
Sponsored