Sponsored

Managing oil temp

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
At COTA yesterday and I'm a bit confused about something. My radiator temp gauge never went more than 2/3 towards hot (just over half from what I recall). However oil temp was riding yellow every session. Guy I was racing with said this is calculated, not measured. Also gave me pointers on how to keep it from going into the red (which worked perfect btw). Race prep consisted of increasing water ratio in cooling system (not 100% water maybe around 35% coolant solution), water wetter, and lock open radiator shutters. Base GT cooling setup.

So do I need an oil cooler as well as a better radiator? Not sure how to get oil temp under control. Radiator temp seems fine.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Start with a dedicated oil cooler which does double duty. Not only does it keep the oil cooler (thus the engine cooler) but it also relieves the load of cooling the oil from the radiator, which in turn will make it more effective at cooling the engine.

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
Start with a dedicated oil cooler which does double duty. Not only does it keep the oil cooler (thus the engine cooler) but it also relieves the load of cooling the oil from the radiator, which in turn will make it more effective at cooling the engine.
This. And don't run 20wt oil on the track. The viscosity (and then oil pressure) and film strength get dangerously low at those temperatures. Also as you get faster you'll need to add a differential cooler unless you're only doing a few laps. With an IRS there's nowhere for the heat to go and it will go into limp mode otherwise. It consists of a pump and small air/oil heat exchanger.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
This. And don't run 20wt oil on the track. The viscosity (and then oil pressure) and film strength get dangerously low at those temperatures. Also as you get faster you'll need to add a differential cooler unless you're only doing a few laps. With an IRS there's nowhere for the heat to go and it will go into limp mode otherwise. It consists of a pump and small air/oil heat exchanger.
I'm not that fast... yet. I'll have to research what weight oil to run, I'm sure there are plenty of threads on that on here. As for the diff, I have a base GT so there is no way to measure diff temp and therefore it shouldn't be possible for me to go into limp mode, correct? Though I did read up on how hot it gets and made some prep work for that as well. Amsoil 75w140 with some thermal blankets on the exhaust pipes surrounding the pumpkin.

So do you all think a radiator is worth it? Also, if the oil temp is calculated, will an oil cooler actually help? I mean, physically it will work I know but if the oil calculation gets too hot, won't it go into limp mode?

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
I'm not that fast... yet. I'll have to research what weight oil to run, I'm sure there are plenty of threads on that on here. As for the diff, I have a base GT so there is no way to measure diff temp and therefore it shouldn't be possible for me to go into limp mode, correct? Though I did read up on how hot it gets and made some prep work for that as well. Amsoil 75w140 with some thermal blankets on the exhaust pipes surrounding the pumpkin.

So do you all think a radiator is worth it? Also, if the oil temp is calculated, will an oil cooler actually help? I mean, physically it will work I know but if the oil calculation gets too hot, won't it go into limp mode?
I think the diff overheats before the engine oil regardless. I believe all cars have a diff temp sensor except for the '15 models. You may be able to activate the diff temp display with FORScan. With cooler engine oil, the pressure (which is an actual measurement) will be higher so in theory the "calculated" oil temp would be lower, but that's just a guess. I can't imagine pressure would be left out of an inferred temp value since it is an excellent proxy for temp.

Sponsored

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Track Spec hood vents will help with oil/coolant/cylinder head temp. BG diff fluid will help with diff and trans as well. Those three mods are what I have done and I have only had the Diff temp warning come on once in 20 track days in Arizona.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Track Spec hood vents will help with oil/coolant/cylinder head temp. BG diff fluid will help with diff and trans as well. Those three mods are what I have done and I have only had the Diff temp warning come on once in 20 track days in Arizona.
Unfortunately Trackspec doesn't make hood vents for the 2018 yet. I have spoken with many folks to see what they are doing with the new hood and so far no one has confirmed plans for marketing anything for the 2018.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately Trackspec doesn't make hood vents for the 2018 yet. I have spoken with many folks to see what they are doing with the new hood and so far no one has confirmed plans for marketing anything for the 2018.
Would have helped if I read your bio! Lol. Have you though about opening up the actual hole where air is let out of the hood? Watching the CJ Pony Parts video for installing Roush hood vents it looks no bigger than a 25 cent pack of gum.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Would have helped if I read your bio! Lol. Have you though about opening up the actual hole where air is let out of the hood? Watching the CJ Pony Parts video for installing Roush hood vents it looks no bigger than a 25 cent pack of gum.
I'm waiting for now. My 2016 had pressure issues under the hood which made sense to open it up and let the air out. Something has changed on the 2018 that I'm waiting to see what those with practical means of designing improvements come up with. I've spoken with Roush and they admit that their stuff is functional but nothing that is substantial. It was more cosmetic than practical. Shame, I liked what they did.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Plus, you will need MORE oil (the capacity of the lines and radiator) which will help absorb the heat from the engine.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Hi .
I track my 2018 regularly .
Yes. High temps are an issue.

OIL . The small liquid to oil cooler doesn't do a good job. also the measurement is through an algorithm . so not real.
I put an oil cooler and situation seems better. next step is a real oil temp gauge that I will install soon ( when I have some time :) . If the real measurement will show lower temp than I will eliminate the LIMB mode on the ECU.
TRANS : here is where i'm finding the biggest issue now. The oil cooler sit in front of the AC and the trans cooler stopping air flow and bringing heat on the Ridiculous small trans cooler. I have a 10 speed auto that I use only with paddle shifting. temp reach 240 F often now.
SOLUTION = I 'LL MOVE THE OIL COOLER IN THE LOWER GRILLE and Im considering to upgrade the small OEM trans cooler . ( bringing in the front or just a bigger one...still deciding)
DIFF AXLE TEMP. It was an issue. it is not anymore. not really know why ( maybe better driving style?) .I do have a diff cooler ready to be installed in case i need.
OUR car is fast. But it is not track ready. especially from a cooling point of view. Camaro are better on this side.

Hope this helps.
20181117_153445_HDR.jpg
20180825_092300.jpg

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Hi .
I track my 2018 regularly .
Yes. High temps are an issue.

OIL . The small liquid to oil cooler doesn't do a good job. also the measurement is through an algorithm . so not real.
I put an oil cooler and situation seems better. next step is a real oil temp gauge that I will install soon ( when I have some time :) . If the real measurement will show lower temp than I will eliminate the LIMB mode on the ECU.
TRANS : here is where i'm finding the biggest issue now. The oil cooler sit in front of the AC and the trans cooler stopping air flow and bringing heat on the Ridiculous small trans cooler. I have a 10 speed auto that I use only with paddle shifting. temp reach 240 F often now.
SOLUTION = I 'LL MOVE THE OIL COOLER IN THE LOWER GRILLE and Im considering to upgrade the small OEM trans cooler . ( bringing in the front or just a bigger one...still deciding)
DIFF AXLE TEMP. It was an issue. it is not anymore. not really know why ( maybe better driving style?) .I do have a diff cooler ready to be installed in case i need.
OUR car is fast. But it is not track ready. especially from a cooling point of view. Camaro are better on this side.

Hope this helps.
20181117_153445_HDR.jpg
20180825_092300.jpg
Lots of good info here, thank you. I don't have a diff temp sensor so I upgraded the fluid and put heat shielding between the exhaust and the pumpkin. And I'm really interested to see what the algorithm calculates versus actual oil temp. My hunch is that the calculation will be higher than actual. I haven't got trans oil high enough yet for a trans cooler but something to keep an eye on. Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Be interested to see your oil sensor results.
Sponsored