Sponsored

Sad day indeed

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
OP, I hope you have better luck with your next car!
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You know there have only been like 3-5 actual 2018+ engine failures, right? Engine ticking is not engine failure
:crackup:

As for the Tesla Model 3 one rather famous YouTuber said it should get 5+ to 60 and the car gave him repeatable 4.3 second times. I’ll link two more real world vids. I don’t know anyone who bought the full zoot Mustangand got 3.9. Most get 4.3. Even Hellcats in city streets can’t seem to do better than 4.3 seconds. In the real world that is...

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
And yes, a new Mustang GT is still one of the fastest cars on the road. 0-60 in 3.9 and the 1/4 mile in less than 12 sec bone stock. A Tesla Model 3 isn't touching that lol.

Ok, now in this part 2 we look at the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Fully charged the car gives you as low as 3.18 0-60 all stock. I also threw in a video of a guy on his way to work flooring it on an on-ramp getting 3.58 0-60! That is real world performance! Where I live Model 3s are everywhere so I would not be challenging any Tesla’s for a race - period!

It also appears that ordinary people love the electric cars and find them exciting. They get an instantaneous 1g push back in the seat which is literally “neck snapping performance” in a grocery getter EV! Even the sound is growing on me..

Honestly guys the car world is changing and muttering false information is not going to change that reality. The IC engine is no longer the fastest way to propel a car...

Sorry...

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Not sure who your trying to convince to trade an 18 or 19 Mustang GT for a Tesla. From the minute you press the start button you have a completely different driving experience. If the Tesla blows your skirt up that's cool and you can go right on out and buy yourself one. Keeping my Mustang, thank you. I couldn't care less about a few tenths of a second. Give me the roar of a hydrocarbon-burning V8. ;-)

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Not sure who your trying to convince to trade an 18 or 19 Mustang GT for a Tesla. From the minute you press the start button you have a completely different driving experience. If the Tesla blows your skirt up that's cool and you can go right on out and buy yourself one. Keeping my Mustang, thank you. I couldn't care less about a few tenths of a second. Give me the roar of a hydrocarbon-burning V8. ;-)

I’m not trying to convince anyone. I’ll let traditional market forces do that.

But stating false information about the performance of other vehicles won’t change the inevitable. For example the glory days of the IC engine were decades ago. Decades ago when all you had were IC engine cars. Today a new player has arrived and even in its crudest form it has already surpassed IC limits. Traditional car makers are forced to go hybrid just to stay relevant. If that isn’t a raised white flag I don’t know what is...

Cars like the Mustang and Corvette are for 60 year old guys like me. You younger guys are, quite frankly, better off riding the wave of newer, faster and better EV performance cars. Hell, we haven’t even begun to see the styling changes that will happen when people detach themselves from what they think a car should look like. Form follows function and EVs function differently. I see this as an exciting time to be a young gear head. But only if you get with times.

Us older folk will buy up all the IC cars for next to nothing and young people will point and laugh at the old fart drivng a slow old fashioned car belching toxic gas everywhere. Then we will die...

Fini...

Sponsored

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I’m not trying to convince anyone. I’ll let traditional market forces do that.

But stating false information about the performance of other vehicles won’t change the inevitable. For example the glory days of the IC engine were decades ago. Decades ago when all you had were IC engine cars. Today a new player has arrived and even in its crudest form it has already surpassed IC limits. Traditional car makers are forced to go hybrid just to stay relevant. If that isn’t a raised white flag I don’t know what is...

Cars like the Mustang and Corvette are for 60 year old guys like me. You younger guys are, quite frankly, better off riding the wave of newer, faster and better EV performance cars. Hell, we haven’t even begun to see the styling changes that will happen when people detach themselves from what they think a car should look like. Form follows function and EVs function differently. I see this as an exciting time to be a young gear head. But only if you get with times.

Us older folk will buy up all the IC cars for next to nothing and young people will point and laugh at the old fart drivng a slow old fashioned car belching toxic gas everywhere. Then we will die...

Fini...
Your entire first paragraph is about spreading false information yet you repeatedly have said that the fox was the cream of the crop of 80s performance cars and how utterly amazing it was. Yet that's just not the case. Good value for the money (you know like most any mustang)? Yes it is. Far from great though like most any other mustang.

I know tons of people and literally none of them own a Tesla no matter what their age is. And people from all walks of life at that. Noble m600 owners to Ferrari owners, to normal joes with Corvettes and old fbodies. Tesla is a cool car and an interesting presentation of what the future could hold (and I hope it doesn't even just from an environmental standpoint) for cars. Musk is a tax dollar squandering douche that has made his company what it is off the backs of people (like me) who want nothing to do with his vision of electric cars for the future.

The only reason the IC engine is being "phased" (and I use that word as loosely as humanly possible) is because of crippling government regulations adopted by paid off government officials in their respective countries. Much the same, there's been no real advancement in their technology because of those same regulations. Let free market control where things go and you would see a completely different automotive landscape.

Also fwiw, if you are going to compare vehicles, you might want to at least start with the same driveline configurations to compare 0-60.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Your entire first paragraph is about spreading false information yet you repeatedly have said that the fox was the cream of the crop of 80s performance cars and how utterly amazing it was. Yet that's just not the case. Good value for the money (you know like most any mustang)? Yes it is. Far from great though like most any other mustang.

I know tons of people and literally none of them own a Tesla no matter what their age is. And people from all walks of life at that. Noble m600 owners to Ferrari owners, to normal joes with Corvettes and old fbodies. Tesla is a cool car and an interesting presentation of what the future could hold (and I hope it doesn't even just from an environmental standpoint) for cars. Musk is a tax dollar squandering douche that has made his company what it is off the backs of people (like me) who want nothing to do with his vision of electric cars for the future.

The only reason the IC engine is being "phased" (and I use that word as loosely as humanly possible) is because of crippling government regulations adopted by paid off government officials in their respective countries. Much the same, there's been no real advancement in their technology because of those same regulations. Let free market control where things go and you would see a completely different automotive landscape.

Also fwiw, if you are going to compare vehicles, you might want to at least start with the same driveline configurations to compare 0-60.

The funny thing is that I am pro IC but I see daily the strides hybrid and electric cars make. Ford puts out performance figures that are really optimistic for daily use while Tesla gives worst case scenarios for performance that everyone exceeds. That Roadster is faster than that 1.9 second 0-60. The lowest of the lows Tesla’s are a match for a GT and everything else is faster. That is the reality.

In Toronto I see more Model 3s than GTs every day. I see more V6 Mustangs than Tesla’s but that is a regional thing here. It really does not matter about corruption or any of that, the IC is being phased out and many countries have a hard date for that already. Electric is the future and they are faster and handle better than IC cars because the center of gravity is inches from the ground if not in line with the center of the wheels which is perfection for handling dynamics. It is a better car? Am I crazy about the EV? Not yet, but they are only now starting to sell performance models so try to keep an open mind.

BTW: A Tesla semi does 0-60 in 5 seconds...

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/21/tesla-semi-truck-acceleration-video/

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I’ll probably call it quits on the EV vs. IC debate but I came across a drag race between a GT and a Tesla 3 Performance. So all the stuff that can affect track times are the same for both cars. I figured it would have been closer as some GTs do make it into the 11s stock but it is way it is - and I bet the GT driver is a member here and his impressions would be most welcome if he comes across this:

OP
OP
p411mstang

p411mstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT
It wasn't even the point that I thought the engine would break down the road it was the mere fact that my brand new bad a$$ 2017 Mustang sounded like a piece of crap every where I drove...not worth paying for the price of cars these days and not being 100% satisfied...to add an additive or something to the oil to quiet down a noise in my opinion is not normal...to that note if an additive is added who's to say Ford wouldn't blame the ticking on something that was added to the vehicle outside of factory specs...I am now driving my winter beater (96 Olds 88) which makes some noises, but is to be expected with a car that is 22 years old, not one that is 1 year old

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
It wasn't even the point that I thought the engine would break down the road it was the mere fact that my brand new bad a$$ 2017 Mustang sounded like a piece of crap every where I drove...not worth paying for the price of cars these days and not being 100% satisfied...to add an additive or something to the oil to quiet down a noise in my opinion is not normal...to that note if an additive is added who's to say Ford wouldn't blame the ticking on something that was added to the vehicle outside of factory specs...I am now driving my winter beater (96 Olds 88) which makes some noises, but is to be expected with a car that is 22 years old, not one that is 1 year old

It’s probably the same additive you use in high mileage cars too. Your instincts are right. I drive many cars each day and I noticed a power loss in this one vehicle. It never got better and one month out of action and 3,000.00 to fix. You don’t need that agravation.

And sorry for derailing your thread.,, :lipssealed:

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
If I hadn't bought my GT I would have looked at the Camaro, Challenger, a restomod classic, Corvette or maybe even a used 911. Lots of cool cars out there. On the bright side OP, your statistical chance of getting two bad cars in a row is very low. Good luck.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Cars like the Mustang and Corvette are for 60 year old guys like me. You younger guys are, quite frankly, better off riding the wave of newer, faster and better EV performance cars.
You do realize these electric cars are only fast in a straight line due to their weight, and only good for about 20 minutes of WOT fun before they need to charge for hours? Electric is cool, but it has a long way to go.

It will be a long time before an electric car beats an ICE engine around a track, for an entire race.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You do realize these electric cars are only fast in a straight line due to their weight, and only good for about 20 minutes of WOT fun before they need to charge for hours? Electric is cool, but it has a long way to go.

It will be a long time before an electric car beats an ICE engine around a track, for an entire race.

Up to 600 miles before recharge. So if the car can travel 600 miles in 20 minutes - I’m more than cool with that! :like:

But reality is that hybrids rule the track. That electricity, it’s everywhere!!!!!

Also they corner absolutely flat because of the batteries. The only body roll is the actual bodies in the car. You can have a more forgiving ride as a result.

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Up to 600 miles before recharge. So if the car can travel 600 miles in 20 minutes - I’m more than cool with that! :like:

But reality is that hybrids rule the track. That electricity, it’s everywhere!!!!!

Also they corner absolutely flat because of the batteries. The only body roll is the actual bodies in the car. You can have a more forgiving ride as a result.
No fully electric car is going its full range at full throttle. The Model S P100D will throttle itself after periods of hard driving to cool the batteries off. A properly built ICE won't have issues with this unless there is a strong focus on forced induction and the temps are insane outside. A hybrid does solve some of the EV issues but there still remains a massive issue to me and that is battery life. We can't get a cell phone battery to last longer than 2 years without severe performance degradation both in terms of capacity as well as output. We simply do not have the battery technology to make these cars as feasible as ICE powered cars.

That's not taking into account the environmental impact of the batteries, both in digging up the minerals needed for their creation as well as their disposal. And that's where I fall off the battery bandwagon. People say that ICE is ruining the earth and its resources but the damage done by these batteries will be even worse. Plus we do not have an oil shortage nor has anyone even fully attempted an ICE powered by synthetic fuels for mass adoption. Which brings me back to piss poor laws funded by special interest groups trying to impose an ICE ban by certain dates.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
We can't get a cell phone battery to last longer than 2 years without severe performance degradation both in terms of capacity as well as output.

The batteries last more than ten years because I drove one (non consumer) for over ten years. I occasionally drive it and yesterday did just that for an hour. Had the heat on and smelled nothing. Though in the heat of the summer that old battery stinks. Consider me the saddest example of a test pilot of EV/hybrid cars...

I’m not getting into the big issues except this one. Who is giving up “using a cell phone” because of battery issues. I’m not talking about replacing a battery or getting a new phone because your battery died. I’m talking about giving up using your cell phone because it has a battery - won’t happen so find another way to mitigate the problem. Same for EV cars. Those short busts of acceleration are everything. Nobody is flooring their car for more than 15 seconds - period. Only a handful of people race their car in this website. But I am confident 5 years from now all the talk will be about EV Mustangs with some side forum for the IC cars that doesn’t even get a mention in the website’s main banner. And I’ll be there with the other old farts...
Sponsored