Sponsored

ProCal Tune Flexability

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Since I've had my Procal tune for over two years, and all my Blackstone Reports came back to my satisfaction. I think it's time I started Modding my engine a little:rockon:. I was going to start with an intercooler, but after some thought I decided to start with a catted 3" downpipe. My question is this. Is there enough bandwidth/tolerance within the Procal tune to adjust for this added airflow? I don't really want to get a vendor tune.
Sponsored

Last edited:

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Is there enough bandwidth/tollerance within the Procal tune to adjust for this added airflow? I don't really want to get a vendor tune.
Everything I have read says that an aftermarket downpipe requires a custom tune. My guess is that the car will attempt to adjust to the change. My two cents: go with the inter-cooler or custom tune.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
The car can only adjust so much. Even if it did, you don't want the car constantly adjusting for abnormal air flow. What's the is the point of adding a downpipe if your car is compensating and not adding power anyhow? You will also throw a check engine light for having too much o2 in your exhaust.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Some just want the extra turbine noise. Some add a 90° 02 extension to catless downpipes with no CEL.

OP
OP
Rick B

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I don't really need an inter-cooler for my style of driving. If I was street racing for multiple lights I would need one. If I do jump on it it's just one time, and then go my way. I don't want a tune from any other vendors other than Ford. The updated Ford Procal tune is satisfactory for my needs. I'd just like more punch when getting onto highway ramps, and passing on my local 2 lane highways. If I want to track it then I will get FMIC. Right now my 12 second GT is my track car.
Right now I'm seeing (and appreciating) opinions. What I'm looking for is some that has done it. A call to various vendors range from " No way" tune only, to "it's possible". So I depend on the experience of Forum Memnbers

Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
A downpipe will definitely need a custom tune, the FP tune isnt meant to handle that. A FMIC will be of benefit to any style of driving, especially if you live where it gets hot. Here in cali when it got 90+ degrees, the car seemed to boggle and the throttle response was noticeably less before the FMIC. Now in the same temps, the car runs fine, now that the charge temps are much cooler. And it does help in the high RPMs when you are doing a run as the temps stay cooler longer. You can always get a catback exhaust system if you want to sound faster when your on the highway lol

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Wanting a down pipe instead of an IC makes no sense especially for FP tune which DP is not possible. Facts are the stock IC is inadequate even for stock power levels let alone FP tune for 90+ climates, you may have opinions about it but you can't argue with facts.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
An aftermarket DP provides much more airflow, more than the ECU can adjust for, therefore throwing a CEL because of the extra O2. There can also be the risk of unsafe boost spikes because of the extra air the ECU cannot adjust for.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rick B

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I ran a catless DP on the stock tune for 8k miles. No CEL.
Which downpipe did you run. I'm very interested. And also wouldn't the EGT be a guage of the effectiveness of the tune pipe combo? I'm not sure to be honest.....

OP
OP
Rick B

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
OK. As suggested by a Forum member I looked up the MBRP 3" Down-pipe with Cat (FGS017), and behold no tune required. I supposed a tune is required if you go catless. Any thoughts here

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
OK. As suggested by a Forum member I looked up the MBRP 3" Down-pipe with Cat (FGS017), and behold no tune required. I supposed a tune is required if you go catless. Any thoughts here
If you go catless its pretty much required. If you go catted its recommended. Some will get a CEL and others may not. A tune will really help with the full potential of the DP safely.
Sponsored