Sponsored

Decisions...Decisions...Decisions!

OP
OP

AGM2018

I have a 10/2014 Spanish engine and no abnormal ticking sounds or any problems at all with the engine. The gdi engines tick, maybe some louder than others, maybe there was a problem with your engine, or maybe you are just sensitive to sound.

I have not driven the new 10 speed so I can't speak about it personally but some reviews were not favorible for the new 10 transmission so you may want to rent one for a day and drive it around.
Maggneto,

My 15 EB PP was an early Spanish engine too...November perhaps? I can't remember for sure. The engine "ticking" was, at first, very subtle and I, like you, knew that GDI engines "tick", so I didn't think it was an issue. However, over the course of a few months (I kept the car for 13 months), almost everyone who rode in the car, noticed the "ticking" sound and asked if it was "normal." Of course, the Ford Technicians said it was normal...contrary to what the a BMW/Volkswagen mechanic told me. So rather than take a chance on the having issues with the engine, I elected to trade it in.

I have driven the new model year 18 10 Speed Automatic several times on test drives (10-15 minutes each) on two GT's and an EB with the PP. The GT seemed to respond better and not have to downshift as much as the EB with the PP but, as I said, I only drove each for about 10-15 minutes...and was only able to "get into" the GT once. The road course drive for the EB didn't allow me to really "get into" it to see how the transmission would respond with 10 gears to shuffle through. So you are correct, renting an 18 EB with the 10 speed automatic for a day is a good idea.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
......I will disagree with you on the 18-19 firmer suspension; Ford improved the quality of shocks and "stiffened" the suspension for the 18, vice the 15-17 models. It has been in multiple publications...and I have driven multiple 15-17 GT's...PP, non-PP, automatic and manual transmission cars...as well as several 2018 GT and EB's. The 2018 GT, especially the non PP base version, drives much, much better and less "sloppy" than the 15-17 models......
If you have links you can provide, where it's been mentioned that the base GTs and EBs have firmer shock valving, please provide them. No one on this site that has gone from a 2015-17 to a 2018-19 has mentioned anything about any such changes. Nor have I read any such thing in any publications, or heard any such thing in any videos.

I have a 2016PP car, and drove a 2018PP car, and there was no difference in the damping.

ETA; I just checked some reviews on the interwebs. There is no mention of upgraded damping on any Mustang suspension, from 2015-17 to 2018-19 anywhere, just mention of the Magneride shocks.

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
W3rkn,

Thanks for your reply;

1. Yes, I can afford Magnaride...but, I don't see it as a "must have option" for me, therefore I won't purchase it. I understand it is a technological marvel and what it does, but for daily commuting and occasional "spirited drives"...I don't require it.

2. And V8 or Turbo 4..that is the question, isn't it? If I knew the Turbo 2.3L four cylinder's past reliability issues were behind it, then purchasing an EB wouldn't be an issue. However, I don't know that. I do know, for the majority of the 'Stangs produced since this generation came out in 2015, the V8 has been more reliable. But, it also cost more to initially purchase as well. Round and round we go, right??:eyebulge::frusty:

Do you drive over potholes, or plan on taking any trips in your mustang..?

But then...

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
the only people o see that say MR is not "worth it" are the people that didnt buy it. Every person that has it, every publication, every person thats spent time with it loves it and thinks its worth the money.

Have you thought of buying a 18 model? I bought my GT that had a MSRP of 50,070 for 38,750. due to memorial day sale, prior military and 750 private cash. Also the car sat there for a few months, like a lot lol, but what im saying is if you dont "have to have" a new 19 you can get a new 18 at the end of the year and save a ton there by giving way better discounts.

Coming from my last car that was "loaded" i had to have a premium, with all those comforts. Otherwise to me, it would've felt like a huge step down and idk if i would've been happy, BUT due to the circumstances of that car sitting and all i was able to get bigger discounts at that particular dealership then i could've other cars there.

OP
OP

AGM2018

If you have links you can provide, where it's been mentioned that the base GTs and EBs have firmer shock valving, please provide them. No one on this site that has gone from a 2015-17 to a 2018-19 has mentioned anything about any such changes. Nor have I read any such thing in any publications, or heard any such thing in any videos.

I have a 2016PP car, and drove a 2018PP car, and there was no difference in the damping.

ETA; I just checked some reviews on the interwebs. There is no mention of upgraded damping on any Mustang suspension, from 2015-17 to 2018-19 anywhere, just mention of the Magneride shocks.
"Additionally, all refreshed Mustangs get new shock absorbers, a new cross-axis joint in the rear suspension and improved stabilizer bars for better ride and handling."

http://www.motortrend.com/news/11-significant-changes-refreshed-2018-ford-mustang/

There is no "specific" mention the the shocks have a firmer shock valving; however, as I said in an earlier post, the driving dynamics of the 2018 base suspension, with the shock absorbers, new cross-axis joint and improved stabilizer bars is MUCH MUCH improved over the base 2015-2017 suspension. The 15-17 models are very "soft and floaty", almost like one would expect a Cadillac to handle. The 2018's base suspension is tighter and much improved. There have been several posts on the forum regarding the comparison. And you said you drove 16 and 18 PP equipped cars...there is no difference in the PP packages for 18-19; however, there is a difference in the base set up between 15-17 and the 18-19's:

"Additionally, all refreshed Mustangs get new shock absorbers, a new cross-axis joint in the rear suspension and improved stabilizer bars for better ride and handling." :headbang::thumbsup::cheers:

Sponsored

OP
OP

AGM2018

the only people o see that say MR is not "worth it" are the people that didnt buy it. Every person that has it, every publication, every person thats spent time with it loves it and thinks its worth the money.

Have you thought of buying a 18 model? I bought my GT that had a MSRP of 50,070 for 38,750. due to memorial day sale, prior military and 750 private cash. Also the car sat there for a few months, like a lot lol, but what im saying is if you dont "have to have" a new 19 you can get a new 18 at the end of the year and save a ton there by giving way better discounts.

Coming from my last car that was "loaded" i had to have a premium, with all those comforts. Otherwise to me, it would've felt like a huge step down and idk if i would've been happy, BUT due to the circumstances of that car sitting and all i was able to get bigger discounts at that particular dealership then i could've other cars there.
Gixxersixxerman,

I don't disagree with you...all the publications, and many people, have said MR is awesome and they love it. I am not "everyone" nor am I working for a car publication. This is not be snide towards you...please understand, but MR just isn't necessary for everyone, just as the PP isn't necessary for everyone, due to their driving requirements, needs, habits and desires. And yes, if I could find a 2018 model that fit what I am looking for, I would buy it over a 2019 model...unfortunately, I haven't, nor has a dealer, found the car, with the options I want. And you secured a GREAT DEAL on your car! Congratulations! My aim is to get at least 9K off a new 2019...we will see how it works out. :eyebulge:

OP
OP

AGM2018

Do you drive over potholes, or plan on taking any trips in your mustang..?

But then...
Yes to both of your questions; now here is one from me:

If all cars haven't been equipped with MR since the first car was built, how, oh how has anyone ever driven over potholes and/or taken any trips, planned or otherwise?

ANSWER: By driving their car without MR...it is not only possible but achievable, as evidenced by the manufacture and driving of untold millions of cars for decades. :headbang::eyebulge:

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra

If all cars haven't been equipped with MR since the first car was built, how, oh how has anyone ever driven over potholes and/or taken any trips, planned or otherwise?

ANSWER: By driving their car without MR...it is not only possible but achievable, as evidenced by the manufacture and driving of untold millions of cars for decades. :headbang::eyebulge:
to your same question... what did people do without power windows and locks? they did it themselves just fine.. but why would you want to..

people suggest it for a reason.. take the suggestion or not. but there is a reason they suggest it.

1st time Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt.Auto.Premium.3.55
Decision

After reading your short story, my answer is simply ,,one letter of the alphabet & one number.....V8

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
This is an option I have looked at very carefully as well; the only aspect of the Black Accent Package I don't care for is the mandatory requirement to have the car's roof painted black....just not a fan on a black roof on a silver car. Were it not for that aspect, this would be a great option, because the included wheels and tires would (probably) cost more than the Black Accent Package price of $995, if purchased separately.
I agree my friend, the black top has given me some pause also. I'm hoping that Ford may let one delete the black top, but I highly doubt that. And you're correct, I'm sure the wheels alone would cost more than $995 aftermarket. Then you would have to have the 19" tires to go with them. It's sad, and quite odd that Ford doesn't offer a stand alone 19" wheel option for the base GT.

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I'll put in another plug for one car and two sets of tires. I've driven my EB MT through 2 Canadian winters with no issues. Just keep a light foot on the pedals, remember it's RWD, and don't be stupid.
100_0075.JPG

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
If it were me, I would go test drive the snot out of both models your looking at. Wear that sales person out. Take your time. You’ll get a feel for what you like. Then see about renting one for a weekend to validate your choice.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

Given your responses & reasons, it is obvious by now, you are ignorant of what magneride is & does...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Given your responses & reasons, it is obvious by now, you are ignorant of what magneride is & does...
That does not mean that Magneride is going to be valued equally highly by everybody. Maybe not as highly especially by those who don't need their cars to have luxurious ride quality.

I have a couple of MR concerns of my own, such as how understeerish the Magneride's basic calibration might be and how well it might be able to cope with mods like firmer than OE springs, sta-bars, and wider wheels & tires.

Norm

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Doesn't change the fact that magneride handles potholes and everyday driving better & smoother.

You are talking about when tracking your car, I am talking about the OP's use.
Sponsored