Sponsored

ZL1 Addons rock guards for s550 - full instructions with photos

5.0hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So are these no good because they keep falling off? Or because they don't adhere with the included 3M tape?
Sponsored

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 401A 6M Ruby Red
The looks and fitment are fine but yes the tape on the blocks is NOT holding up. So like BoostedRubyRed, I'm looking for an alternative adhesive that will do the job. I'm thinking gorilla glue or some type of super glue.

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
You can purchase VHB tape and 3M adhesive promoter from amazon. Between those two, you should be able to increase adhesion.

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Just installed mine. Really simple. Two recommendations.

There are much better button head screws with a lower profile.

The 3M tape could be sharpied black by ZL1 or the customer before they install them. The grey shows on my blk car just a bit.

Hope they don't begin to detach.

16stangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
These would seem to be the best option for rock guards but I'm still on the fence due to some of the fitment issues discussed.

I'd also think that the deluxe version would be the preferred option but it would seem that the standard version has better reviews...

I'll be glad when all the issues are hammered out cause I'd really like the added protection these should provide...

Sponsored

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
These would seem to be the best option for rock guards but I'm still on the fence due to some of the fitment issues discussed.

I'd also think that the deluxe version would be the preferred option but it would seem that the standard version has better reviews...

I'll be glad when all the issues are hammered out cause I'd really like the added protection these should provide...
I'm in the same position as you. I really want wheel spacers, but since my car is my daily, I need guards before anything, and I'm yet to find a pair that is "perfect".

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I have a set of premiums, I had issues with the fronts coming loose which ZL1 quickly remedied. It's only been a few months but all 4 still feel secure. They work, lots of construction going on near work with no shortage of chat and loose gravel which I hear pinging off the guards every day. Glad I got them.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
I did different fronts (posted somewhere in here)...but since I needed to buy a couple body clips to keep the fronts on means I will eventually re-visit the ZL-1 front guards since I have them and a brand new roll of 3m tape...maybe Thanksgiving weekend. So far, the backs have held up well and I don't feel any looseness with them. Having said that, I did thoroughly clean with alcohol and scotch-brite pad with 3m adhesive prep pads on the back before install so I do recommend the prep pads...and I'm in Florida so wet, hot, various road conditions...a couple cold days lately and no probs with the back. However, as others have said, a couple of the back screwws do look like the are starting to rust and will need replacements with black stainless steel....hear that ZL-1?!?!?

See my post #132 in this thread for details.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my fronts on for almost a year now and 10k miles...work great. No fitment issues and they are just as tight as the day I put them on. Havnt done the rears yet...I will one day lol

16stangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Kinjirra, are those the deluxe or standard?

Everyone else, keep the feedback and updates coming...

Thanks.

Sponsored

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Gorilla tape worked the second time for my blocks on left side rear. The original right side still holding up I'm thinking there is inconsistency in the glue.

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
So what's the general consensus on the front pair of these? Are they holding up pretty well for you guys?

I don't want to install my spacers until I can find a solid set of splash guards. I'm not too worried about the rears, since it seems like the fronts are the mandatory ones.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
So what's the general consensus on the front pair of these? Are they holding up pretty well for you guys?

I don't want to install my spacers until I can find a solid set of splash guards. I'm not too worried about the rears, since it seems like the fronts are the mandatory ones.
Second winter and 10k miles so far...they work great