Sponsored

X pipe placed farther back?

Sunburst

Turtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mustang (project car)
I had a custom 3" x pipe made to pair up to my corsa sport axle back and he put it right before the axle back instead of right before the headers.. will this hurt performance or change sound?

Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Ideally, in the perfect world, a x pipe or h pipe should 8-18" from a header collector. But that is not possible with the Mustang. I think you may lose the scavenging effect that far back, but I'm curious to know how it sounds back there (if it fits by the gas tanks, rear pumpkin).

Back in the day, we use to take a wax pen and draw a line along the pipes coming off the header. Where the wax would stop melting is where a crossover pipe would go.

OP
OP
Sunburst

Sunburst

Turtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ideally, in the perfect world, a x pipe or h pipe should 8-18" from a header collector. But that is not possible with the Mustang. I think you may lose the scavenging effect that far back, but I'm curious to know how it sounds back there (if it fits by the gas tanks, rear pumpkin).

Back in the day, we use to take a wax pen and draw a line along the pipes coming off the header. Where the wax would stop melting is where a crossover pipe would go.
I'll try to get a video and post it up. I should have just had him make a double x pipe like Corsa does lol. Worried I won't be getting the most power out of my headers with this setup

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
youll be fine. seriously. if you wanted the most power you would should have ran 18" collector extensions with no muffler or crossover, but we all know that isnt smart/legal on a street car. any header-back exhaust isnt going to hurt you any more/less if you have good mandrel bent piping and a quality straight through muffler...its all for sound. and even if there is any difference, its a 1-5hp difference MAX which you wouldnt notice anyway. it should sound cool, there was an old frpp 03/4 cobra exhaust that was like this and it sounded amazing. on my 16 i did a custom double x and it sounds solid, im excited to hear this setup tho

OP
OP
Sunburst

Sunburst

Turtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
youll be fine. seriously. if you wanted the most power you would should have ran 18" collector extensions with no muffler or crossover, but we all know that isnt smart/legal on a street car. any header-back exhaust isnt going to hurt you any more/less if you have good mandrel bent piping and a quality straight through muffler...its all for sound. and even if there is any difference, its a 1-5hp difference MAX which you wouldnt notice anyway. it should sound cool, there was an old frpp 03/4 cobra exhaust that was like this and it sounded amazing. on my 16 i did a custom double x and it sounds solid, im excited to hear this setup tho
Thanks for the response. Probably going to keep it this way for a while and maybe have a custom double x in the future

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Not going to be that much different but I'd have him flip that mid-section. Shouldn't be hard.
Sponsored