Magnaflow Street After a Month

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
I'm expecting some flack on this especially from the younger S550 owners but it's simply some feedback for those contemplating this catback system. When I ride alone and the window is open and the tunes playing I'm fine with the exhaust. Yes it does have a mild drone in 6th under 2100 RPMs. I realize many might question being in 6th at that RPM level but miles per gallon do have a place on the agenda. Now, put my beloved bride in the car when perhaps the tunes aren't as loud and the mild drone becomes more annoying. I get it that all these systems have plus and minuses but that particular RPM level seems to be a popular spot when on the highway. So in closing I'm fine with the exhaust since I'm a gear head - simply take the 4Runner when the old lady is on board.
Sponsored

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
I'm expecting some flack on this especially from the younger S550 owners but it's simply some feedback for those contemplating this catback system. When I ride alone and the window is open and the tunes playing I'm fine with the exhaust. Yes it does have a mild drone in 6th under 2100 RPMs. I realize many might question being in 6th at that RPM level but miles per gallon do have a place on the agenda. Now, put my beloved bride in the car when perhaps the tunes aren't as loud and the mild drone becomes more annoying. I get it that all these systems have plus and minuses but that particular RPM level seems to be a popular spot when on the highway. So in closing I'm fine with the exhaust since I'm a gear head - simply take the 4Runner when the old lady is on board.
I actually just did a lengthy write about my exhaust searches. I got rid of my Magnaflow Street because of the drone that I couldn't stand. Like you said, it's really not that bad, but personally it drove me nuts. Upgrading to the Corsa Sport has been a dream. All the aggressiveness you could ever want, and absolutely ZERO cabin noise whatsoever. Even with the radio down and the windows up. If you ever think of changing, this is your best option.

DanielIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT w/ 50th Anniversary Pack
Vehicle Showcase
I actually just did a lengthy write about my exhaust searches. I got rid of my Magnaflow Street because of the drone that I couldn't stand. Like you said, it's really not that bad, but personally it drove me nuts. Upgrading to the Corsa Sport has been a dream. All the aggressiveness you could ever want, and absolutely ZERO cabin noise whatsoever. Even with the radio down and the windows up. If you ever think of changing, this is your best option.
How is the Corsa on a cold start versus something like the ford racing by borla?

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I'd been wondering about the Magnaflow Street - thanks for the info!

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
How is the Corsa on a cold start versus something like the ford racing by borla?
For some reason it tends to mellow out super fast The first couple seconds are pretty bassy, but it quiets right down and the other tenants in my building said they don't hear it.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
That's really strange. I've had my Magnaflow Streets on for quite a while now and have no drone at all. Are you positive you had them aligned correctly and they weren't vibrating against something or stress on a hanger?

By the way, I'm definitely not the younger crowd...

Oh just noticed, you have the GT, probably COMPLETELY different! You posted this in the general section rather than "V8 5.0L Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning" section.

2L8IWON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
For some reason it tends to mellow out super fast The first couple seconds are pretty bassy, but it quiets right down and the other tenants in my building said they don't hear it.
How does the Sport sound compared to the extreme? A bunch of my buddies have the Extreme and it sounds good, just too much volume for me.

I like the Magnaflow because of the smooth, traditional sound...

Any links for your write up? I'd love to read it.

Thanks

Jesse

OP
OP
kinchy

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
D - read your write up and appreciate both the insight and detail. I apparently placed much to much value on the sound clips provided by the both the manufacturers and aftermarket folks. When doing so the Corsa Sport sounded way too loud for me. The only minor issue I have with the Magnaflow is the mild drone at in the lower RPM space. Drone wasn't my focus during my research and I'm now dealing with it. Hey, stuff happens.

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
Make a j pipe setup and the drone will be gone. I'm about to add a custom double x pipe to my car and then do a j pipe. I will have a car that sounds like I want it and have no drone.

Sponsored
OP
OP
kinchy

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
Help me out - What is a J pipe?

GHOSTRACER

Midlife Crisis......Again
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
No drone at all with mine :shrug:.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Check out Solo, pretty darn happy with it. No drone because it comes with J pipes, probably where guys are getting the J pipe idea from (or not, not sure maybe they weren't the ones to introduce the J pipe concept?)

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
You can't knock it for droning in 6th @ 2100 (and less), that's you're choice to be in the wrong gear at the wrong rpm, and has zero to do with the system.