Updates - Transbrake, Bumpox, and More!

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AT EcoBoost, MT PP EcoBoost
2015_Ford_Mustang_Ecoboost_Keith-Treder-3.jpg

The Mustang has always been an icon at the drag strip. With that in mind, COBB is happy to announce new features that will help propel your Mustang EcoBoost even faster down the quarter mile. If your Mustang EcoBoost is at home on the drag strip, these features are for you!

The Transbrake (transmission braking) and Bump Box features are newly added. Use these in conjunction with the Burnout Mode feature and you have a triple threat for the drag strip that leads to faster 60ft times and lower ETs. These are all available directly on the Accessport with firmware 1.7.3.0-14822 or newer using the v502 maps. Click here for instructions on how to update your Accessport. Once the firmware is current, simply go to "Tune" > "Restore OTS Maps" and they will then be available in the tune section. Reflash the appropriate v502 map for your modifications and you'll have access to these new features.

Watch Eric demonstrate these features in the video below. Further details follow.

[ame]

Burnout Mode

Burnout Mode is an easy to use feature which limits the car's RPM during a burnout. This is beneficial as it puts an end to over revving and keeps the tires spinning. This helps get them hotter. Hotter tires get better traction! It's also great for "demonstrations" to those who don't believe that your EcoBoost can light 'em up!
Burnout Mode is enabled on all Off The Shelf performance maps v400 or newer. This feature can be used by

Automatic Transmission Vehicles
1. If equipped with a drive mode switch, set the drive mode to "Track".
2. Hold the traction control button down for ~6sec to disable Advancetrac.
3. Set the shifter into the "S" selector and tap the "-" paddle to engage manual shifting mode.
4. Hold your left foot on the brake.
5. Hold the Burnout button down ("OFF" on the Cruise Control).
6. Push the accelerator pedal to the floor.
7. Modulate the burnout with your left foot. We also recommend shifting into 2nd gear.
8. Once the tires are warm, release the brake, accelerator pedal, and the burnout button!
Manual Transmission Vehicles
1. If equipped with a drive mode switch, set the drive mode to "Track".
2. Hold the traction control button down for ~6sec to disable Advancetrac.
3. Press and hold the clutch in and put the car into 1st gear.
4. Hold the Burnout button down ("OFF" on the Cruise Control).
5. Push the accelerator pedal to the floor and release the clutch.
6. Immediately after releasing the clutch, place your left foot on the brake pedal.
7. Modulate the burnout with your left foot.
8. Once the tires are warm, release the brake, accelerator pedal, and the burnout button!

Transbrake

Now that the tires are nice and warm your Mustang EcoBoost pulls up to the starting line. We all know that a good launch is one of the most critical parts of any drag race. The new transbrake feature helps to have that covered. Not only will your 60ft times more consistent but they'll also be faster by allowing a greater amount of boost to be built off the line.
In testing, with brake boosting the Mustang (just holding the brake in stock configuration and pressing the throttle), we were able to generate up to 12PSI before the rear wheels were overcome and began spinning. With the transbrake feature, and raising the 2-step RPM, the car reaches over 20!
To enable the transbrake feature go to "Tune" > "Adjustments" > "Enable Transbrake" > Set the value to "1" using the up button and press enter (center button).
screenshot1-225x300.png
screenshot2-1-225x300.png
screenshot7-1-225x300.png
screenshot9-1-225x300.png

Note that the default RPM setting with the transbrake feature enabled is 2500RPM. Greater boost pressures can be attained through increasing the transbrake RPM using the Transbrake 2-Step feature. Before continuing further, it should be known that transmission braking and bump box features are abusive to the engine, clutches, transmission, axles, tires, and differential. Only use these features if you accept all risks and responsibilities. To enable the Transbrake 2-Step feature go to "Tune" > "Adjustments" > "Enable Transbrake 2-Step" > Set the value to "1" using the up button and press enter (center button).
screenshot1-225x300.png
screenshot8-225x300.png
screenshot10-225x300.png

Once the Transbrake 2-Step feature is enabled, the RPM can be adjusted. This can be done through the "Tune" > "Adjustments" > "Enable Transbrake 2-Step RPM" > Set the value to your desired RPM using the up/down buttons and press enter (center button).
screenshot1-225x300.png
screenshot3-225x300.png
screenshot4-225x300.png

Note that the stock converter will be limited to ~3100 RPM. In order to reach higher RPMs additional modifications would be required.

Bump Box

The Bump Box feature allows you to "bump" the car forward to illuminate the staging lights. Depending on how high of an RPM you have set, how much boost you want to build, and how fast the tree operator wants to start the lights, the bump box can be a major benefit. If you were to fully stage the car, there may not be enough time to reach the desired RPM or to build the appropriate boost. With this feature, you can do all of that prior to fully staging the car. To use this feature

Enable the transbrake feature on the Accessport.
Depress the brake pedal to 100%.
While holding the brake pedal down, fully depress the gas pedal to 100%.
The Engine will rev to 2500 (default) or your specified RPM (if the 2-step limiter is enabled) and begin to build boost.
Press the "Set +" cruise control button to bump the car forward. You can do this repeatedly if you wish.
Release the brake pedal completely and keep the gas pedal at 100%. This will release the transbrake and launch the vehicle!
You are able to change the amount "bump." This can be adjusted through "Tune" > "Adjustments" > "Change Transbrake Bump Delay" > Set the value to your desired bump using the up/down buttons and press enter (center button).
screenshot1-225x300.png
screenshot5-225x300.png
screenshot6-225x300.png

For street tires we recommend using values between 12-15. For drag radials or slicks we recommend values between 15-20.

Check out our knowledge base at for more details on all things COBB! We're also here for troubleshooting tips, upgrade path advice, and can help with any other questions at [email protected] or give us a call at 866-922-3059!

Kyle@COBB
Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Any chance of developing this for turbo GT's?

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Does Transbrake work with custom tunes?

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Any update on transbrake and custom tunes?

Sponsored

OP
OP
COBB Tuning

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any update on transbrake and custom tunes?
It's still in the works. As of this instant it should be within the next month but roadblocks keep coming up. I apologize for the long delay but it should be out soon!

Kyle@COBB

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
We look forward to that! Thanks for the update. Keep us posted :thumbsup:

OP
OP
COBB Tuning

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
So Adam can add it to my tune?

OP
OP
COBB Tuning

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So Adam can add it to my tune?
Accesstuner has the tables now. Whether or not Adam can I think is a question for Adam.

Kyle@COBB

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
I had Adam add it to my tune. I have a couple of questions that I would ask on a private message or by email, but I think it’s better to do so in this thread for others to know as well.

1. For transbrake to work, do we need to keep the Acessport connected?

2. Also, when I received my updated tune, the 2-step was activated and the rpm were set at 3100. Is it safe to keep them that high, or I should set them at 2500 as in the video?

Last edited:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
As I said above, I had my tuner add Transbrake to my tune. For Transbrake to work does the Accessport have to be connected to the car? I am asking this because I tried using it without the Accessport connected and it didn’t seem to work. I followed your step by step instructions to activate Transbrake: I enabled Transbrake within the Tune -> Adjustments -> Enable Transbrake menu, I even enabled Transbrake 2-step from within the same menu, I set the rpms to 2500, then I put the shifter on D, I braked the car with my left foot and I went wot. At that stage the rear wheels started spinning and the rpm went well above 2500.

I don’t want to repeat it before getting an answer from you on the above, as this seems to be a bit abusive to the engine and wheels.

OP
OP
COBB Tuning

COBB Tuning

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had Adam add it to my tune. I have a couple of questions that I would ask on a private message or by email, but I think it’s better to do so in this thread for others to know as well.

1. For transbrake to work, do we need to keep the Acessport connected?

2. Also, when I received my updated tune, the 2-step was activated and the rpm were set at 3100. Is it safe to keep them that high, or I should set them at 2500 as in the video?
The transbrake setting can be used without the AP connected but it's something that is lost with each key cycle. So, once you set it, you can then unplug the AP, but you'll have to plug it in and set it again after you key cycle the car (turn the car off).
If the wheels are spinning, something is not set correctly.

3100 is probably fine but safe is relative with too many variables in play to properly answer this question. If safety is a priority, I wouldn't recommend using these features.

Kyle@COBB

Last edited:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your reply. However the first paragraph doesn't make any sense. What do you mean by "once you set it, you can then unplug the AP, but you'll have to plug it in and set it again after you unplug it"?

According to the email that I received from your support on the same question, the AP does not have to be connected for the transbrake to work. It just has to be set once through the AP and I can then remove it.

So which is correct?
Sponsored