Sponsored

A10 stall question

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
So, with the A10 having more optimal gearing keeping the engine in its peak band, is it predicted that a stall is going to have less impact on ET? I base this on the assumption that the shift extension will not be as needed. If that is true, the converter will only be most beneficial at launch but would the looseness of the converter actually work against the transmission in the upper power band since the gear spacing has kinda done the job of the shift extension? Or am I completely off here?
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Even with the 6 speed, the stall was more for launch in 1st gear than shift extension. Even more so with the A10 as you noted.

And yes, a looser stall does go against the top end making it less efficient, but with the increased number of gears and them being tighter together it will nullify that side effect for the most part.

Back in the days of 4 speed autos with wide gear spacing and only 3 underdrive gears this conversation would have been different. But in today's world of 6, 8 or 10 speed automatics the old connotation of loose stall converters is changing.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
That and nowadays, you can program the transmission to lock up the converter when ever you want. Loose in 1st, then command it to lock up in 2nd and up!

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
That and nowadays, you can program the transmission to lock up the converter when ever you want. Loose in 1st, then command it to lock up in 2nd and up!
Very good point.

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Even with the 6 speed, the stall was more for launch in 1st gear than shift extension. Even more so with the A10 as you noted.

And yes, a looser stall does go against the top end making it less efficient, but with the increased number of gears and them being tighter together it will nullify that side effect for the most part.

Back in the days of 4 speed autos with wide gear spacing and only 3 underdrive gears this conversation would have been different. But in today's world of 6, 8 or 10 speed automatics the old connotation of loose stall converters is changing.
I was having a conversation about the inefficiency of the stall at upper rpmā€™s with someone the other day. But as gtbob said, you can lock up the converter and solve that issue.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Yep. You do more work with a laptop on todayā€™s cars than you do a wrench. And itā€™s f%#king confusing. Iā€™m going. Ack out to work on my carbureted rac car with its 3 speed transmission.:shrug:

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up an 18 A10. With the gear spacing in this thing...under full throttle...it almost feels like it has a stall during shifting. Pretty crazy.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I had GMs from both 2002 and 2006 and in those you could lockup the converter as in 2nd, 3rd and 4th so it's not that *new* of an invention.

I was having a conversation about the inefficiency of the stall at upper rpmā€™s with someone the other day. But as gtbob said, you can lock up the converter and solve that issue.
That's true, however I'm not sure that the converter can handle being locked up while at WOT or hard acceleration (at least from experience, maybe the new autos are different). Back in my GM automatic days you needed a big boy triple disk converter to be able to lockup while going WOT, otherwise doing so on a stock or single disk you ran the risk of destroying it.
Sponsored