Sponsored

Ford reducing total platforms to 5, one RWD unibody, new Explorer will be RWD...

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
The Ecoboost 3.5 is a potent animal....
It's hamstrung by the ancient Volvo architecture. There's a reason why it only makes 365 lb.-ft. of torque in the cars versus well over 400 lb.-ft. in the trucks.

I don't get moving Explorer back to RWD. The current FWD/ crossover SUV has been such a hit and if it's going to stay unibody why go back to RWD?
Reasoning I read was police sales, plus it'd better help it compete with I THINK the Tahoe. Possibly also sharing components with the Mustang, thus helping the business case for the car going forward.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
It's hamstrung by the ancient Volvo architecture. There's a reason why it only makes 365 lb.-ft. of torque in the cars versus well over 400 lb.-ft. in the trucks.

Reasoning I read was police sales, plus it'd better help it compete with I THINK the Tahoe. Possibly also sharing components with the Mustang, thus helping the business case for the car going forward.
Interesting, but the Expedition is the Tahoe competitor, as the Max competes with the Suburban.

The Explorer competes with the likes of the Traverse. The only vehicle in it's class that is RWD is the Durango IIRC.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
The reasons that were widely speculated is because of the FWD based AWD layout and that they were not getting the desired durability at higher levels. There's guys running decent HP/TQ in SHO and Flex applications with decent longevity.

If they would have done RWD I'd think the possibilities would open up a good bit. But the 6F55 and probably the PTU are going to be the limits on that platform. The PTU seems to be the weak link in the Police Interceptor utilities.
Sponsored