Sponsored

Dashcam

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
I was thinking about getting a dashcam for my convertible but then I thought it may be too easy to reach in and rip it out if the top is down.

Is anyone else using a dashcam? Any issues with it being so accessible when the top is down and you are away from the car?
Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I was thinking about getting a dashcam for my convertible but then I thought it may be too easy to reach in and rip it out if the top is down.

Is anyone else using a dashcam? Any issues with it being so accessible when the top is down and you are away from the car?
I think there are some smaller ones that won't be so noticeable up by the mirror. If you go with one of the bigger ones with screens it's just a gamble depending on where you are parking.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Do not get one with a screen, they are crappy, overheat and there is just no necessity to get one with a screen that is showing you what you are looking at while driving... Get a Blackvue and a good memory card and if anything happens you can easily access it from your phone and save the video, if not get home, pull the micro sd card out and upload it to your computer.

jeffdeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible White Platinum
I have a Lukas 7900 dash cam that works flawlessly. I installed it behind the rear view mirror so it does not obstruct my view through the windshield. When the top is down I stay in the general area to keep an eye on the whole car. If I will be away like in a restaurant I will put the top up and lock the car.

This is just the way it is owning a nice car these days. At night the car is locked up in a garage.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I will agree the two with screens I got sucked, should have just got a blackvue

Sponsored

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Waylens that I used on my Golf, I don't have the car yet to see how reachable it is. I always had it low on the windshield in the Golf, but the hood might be in he way more on the Mustang.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
I have a blackbur 750 if i remembrer. There is no screen and just behind the rearview mirror it s very stealthy. I have to show it to people because they don t notice it

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I went with a Blackvue DR750S-1CH for my convertible. I have it mounted directly behind the rear view mirror and I can't even see it while driving unless I scrooch down by the steering wheel and look up. From the front, it just looks like part of the mirror. In fact, it's so covert that the dealership didn't notice it while they were doing their best to destroy my vehicle the other day while it recorded it all... different thread for that story. But until they launch the 4k model in April, it's what I'm running. 1080p @ 60 fps and I run mine in extreme mode which is like 25Mbit/sec quality. Very very happy overall and the app for your phone isn't bad either. I use mine via cloud to download stuff at home while it's parked.

$269 I think and installation was simple. I used a black magic pro box to enable parking mode and hard wire it which was super simple. Worth every penny and super discrete.

Here's a few videos I've linked today I saved from the drag strip Friday for an idea of high speed night time capture capability - and I can't wait for the 4k version hopefully coming next month!

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
My convertible (Brand C, not Brand F) has a Thinkware F750. No screen. I also have cameras both front and rear. The front camera is not at all noticeable. I sometimes forget it's there until I hit a bump large enough to make it beep. The rear one is noticeable if the top is down and you're REALLY looking for it. Not really worried about it getting snatched. If it's parked with the top down, I am not very far from it.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Just got an Oasser....

Been looking for while. I bought this one..... No wifi, but has a small screen. Screen shuts off after 30 seconds so should not overheat. Has a suction cup vs a sticky pad. Has smart parking detection mode and a GPS capability with the proper receiver.

I will not know how good this thing is until my car comes out of storage.......hope in a week or two. But I did read a lot of positive reviews on the unit.

Time will tell.

[/url]IMG_1020 by Derek George, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_1019 by Derek George, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_1018 by Derek George, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_1017 by Derek George, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_1016 by Derek George, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_1015 by Derek George, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I went with a Blackvue DR750S-1CH for my convertible. I have it mounted directly behind the rear view mirror and I can't even see it while driving unless I scrooch down by the steering wheel and look up. From the front, it just looks like part of the mirror. In fact, it's so covert that the dealership didn't notice it while they were doing their best to destroy my vehicle the other day while it recorded it all... different thread for that story. But until they launch the 4k model in April, it's what I'm running. 1080p @ 60 fps and I run mine in extreme mode which is like 25Mbit/sec quality. Very very happy overall and the app for your phone isn't bad either. I use mine via cloud to download stuff at home while it's parked.

$269 I think and installation was simple. I used a black magic pro box to enable parking mode and hard wire it which was super simple. Worth every penny and super discrete.

Here's a few videos I've linked today I saved from the drag strip Friday for an idea of high speed night time capture capability - and I can't wait for the 4k version hopefully coming next month!
I've had that one in my cart for a few weeks, might pull the trigger here pretty soon. I'd love to see some photos of it mounted, I mean, don't sweat it, but if you happen to have / or take some, please post :)

FFS, hate hearing about dealer abuse, I guess the supercharger was too much for them not to try out (it sounds incredible BTW).

My convertible (Brand C, not Brand F) has a Thinkware F750.
Hey, we are totally OK with your alternative lifestyle ... :D

I haven't seen this one come up on as many searches, price it right, anything particularly good or bad?

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
I also have a Blackvue and am happy with it other than I think driving with the top down damaged the microphone. Recorded audio is pretty much worthless now, worked great when new. Still, I got it for the video functionality and it still works great. Can't see it behind the mirror when driving and not noticeable from outside unless you're looking for it.
Sponsored