Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

DoingOK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium, Recaros & PP
Not my first choice in tire.....but grabbed some S04 Pole Position's so I could get them mounted this week. My stockers are for sale.

Sponsored

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
Nice, but to be honest, that weight, although light, is not exactly special for an 18x10 flow formed wheel. Basically the same as 18x10 Forgestars or most any flow formed wheels. (I had Forgestar 18x10 F14's and they were also 22lbs...I think 21.8 to be exact)

Advanti Hybris 19x9.5's are only 20lbs:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30238

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Lots of variables go into someone's selection for wheels as we all know. Those look like some nice wheels for the price that are posted. For me, these are track only wheels. Coming from an E92 M3, I know apex wheels are widely used on track so I don't have any quality/strength concerns (and am not implying any of the others brands do either, I just don't have any experience with them, 1st or 2nd hand). The price also isn't bad. For any of the top tier track wheels (CCW, Fikse, Forgeline, etc), I would be paying 3x this amount. While their are lighter options out there (Anthony@HTM is running some really light Volks), I would argue the bang for buck of the Apex, while taking into account their track record, is hard to beat. The handling/weight reduction 2fer is hard to beat for the money. I'm saving 44lbs of unsprung weight in wheels, and another 26lbs of unsprung weight with tires (if everything stock and aftermarket weigh claimed weight). Coilovers are also supposed to drop another good bit of unsprung weight. Handling + unsprung weight reduction... yes please!

I'm still waiting on my tpms kit to ship. Everything else should be here this weekend. I'll test fit the wheel at a minimum to confirm they clear the PP front brakes.

BTW, what is the going price for a set of 18x10 forgestars?

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
Lots of variables go into someone's selection for wheels as we all know. Those look like some nice wheels for the price that are posted. For me, these are track only wheels. Coming from an E92 M3, I know apex wheels are widely used on track so I don't have any quality/strength concerns (and am not implying any of the others brands do either, I just don't have any experience with them, 1st or 2nd hand). The price also isn't bad. For any of the top tier track wheels (CCW, Fikse, Forgeline, etc), I would be paying 3x this amount. While their are lighter options out there (Anthony@HTM is running some really light Volks), I would argue the bang for buck of the Apex, while taking into account their track record, is hard to beat. The handling/weight reduction 2fer is hard to beat for the money. I'm saving 44lbs of unsprung weight in wheels, and another 26lbs of unsprung weight with tires (if everything stock and aftermarket weigh claimed weight). Coilovers are also supposed to drop another good bit of unsprung weight. Handling + unsprung weight reduction... yes please!

I'm still waiting on my tpms kit to ship. Everything else should be here this weekend. I'll test fit the wheel at a minimum to confirm they clear the PP front brakes.
Yeah I hear you man, definitely sounds like a good track wheel for the money.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
For reference:
http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/47484

After reading that thread, for the s197 you will need spacers for the s550 5.0, its uncharted waters. Buy at your own risk!!! I would email Vorshlag and see if that rim fits the new 5.0 mustangs.

Another alternative is the PF01, 19lbs. Only thing is, it doesnt look as nice.

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
For reference:

After reading that thread, for the s197 you will need spacers for the s550 5.0, its uncharted waters. Buy at your own risk!!! I would email Vorshlag and see if that rim fits the new 5.0 mustangs. Can you tell us what post in the thread you are referencing?

I have no idea what you are talking about. Are you saying that the apex wheels will need spacers based on an S197 thread? Can you tell us what post you are referencing?

I'm pretty sure it has already been established that the enkei wheels don't clear the PP front brakes, no?

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I have no idea what you are talking about. Are you saying that the apex wheels will need spacers based on an S197 thread? Can you tell us what post you are referencing?

I'm pretty sure it has already been established that the enkei wheels don't clear the PP front brakes, no?
I'm referencing wheel weights, since the title of the thread is track wheels. Although it does talk about a specific wheel, I posted a reference on what some light weight wheels weigh which is perfect for track use. I have been to Sonoma Raceway pretty often, and the s197 5.0's (boss 302s and track driven 5.0s) that run there are on the enkei pf01 (because they are light and not too expensive). With hoosier slicks wrapped around them.

Either way, another option is the pf01, still lighter than any of the rims mentioned in this thread. coming in at 19lbs. Just posting a reference, that SCCA link is very useful and one will be started (if one hasnt started already) on s550 5.0s.

Edit: one has already started:
http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/446550

Vorshlag did wonders for the s197 mustang (solid axle cars), now that the mustang has an IRS I hope to see them at the top!

Last edited:

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
BTW, what is the going price for a set of 18x10 forgestars?
Normally 18x10 Forgestars are $350 each ($1400/set). I picked some up for black friday at $1100 before tax.

OP
OP

DoingOK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium, Recaros & PP
I've tracked several wheels over the years and these Apex wheels are just another highly recommended option for people. I have 17x8 OZ wheels on the Miata that only weigh 15.2lbs. The performance benefit gained for something like a Miata is fantastic. I also have a set of PF01's. I love that design. My favorite wheel ever was a Corsa C10 from CCW for my C6 Z06.

Miata on OZ Allegerita.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
For reference:
After reading that thread, for the s197 you will need spacers for the s550 5.0, its uncharted waters. Buy at your own risk!!! I would email Vorshlag and see if that rim fits the new 5.0 mustangs.
"uncharted waters. Buy at your own risk? email Vorshlag?"
Thats awesome! talk smack about another vendor that has a proven record supporting grass roots motorsport and then say call Vorshlag. :dnftt:
Spacers were used in the thread you site:
"
-We've found that there's really not one backspacing that fits properly front and rear (the GRAND AM teams use 18x10's with slightly different offsets front and rear)
-The 18x10.5" ET38 fits on the front with camber, but not the rear
-The 18x10 ET38 Enkei RPF-1 fit the rear "fairly well" but needed 7mm of spacer to clear the brakes
"

Wider wheels in a square setup on a stang are accomplished by spacers on the front and same wheels tires all corners. Square setup means same offset same wheel same tire so you can rotate front to rear to save money on HPDE/track time without having to mount remount tires. Are you saying that running spacers on S550 is not proven in HDPE/track? Maybe post in Track forum for input.

Real "Track use" means substantial risk in wheel failure to yourself and other drivers at speeds above 100. Weight is not the only factor.
For SCCA parking lot cone dodging, the lightest wheel is fine. No spins half on/ half off the racing surface at 100.

Apex wheels are the real deal at $264 comparable to $350 Enkei's and CF5s.
http://www.apexraceparts.com/apex-products/S550-Mustang/18x10-ET43-APEX-EC-7-Mustang-Wheel.html

Maybe lay some 4x4 timbers across the road and run some various wheels across them and see what speeds they all survive up to. Got a ranch truck to loan out for the test.

Apex wheels get busted easily? I recall Pete Carroll busting one once on track:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1870989-Finally-broke-an-APEX-wheel
Heard of a couple bends but I think they are the only company that replaces at cost.

What about Enkei wheels? Heard good things about them too.
Sponsored

Last edited: