APEX EC-7 18x10 ET43 Mustang Anthracite Wheel

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
Looking at these wheels paired with something along the lines of RE-71s or Sport Cup 2s to run here in Georgia roughly April to October and for 2 or 3 novice level track day events.

This will be my 3rd full set of wheels and tires (will need more room in garage soon). I digress.

What are the pros and cons of doing this? What is the good and bad about these wheels? Are there better 18 x 10 wheels? What are they?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Have you looked at the newer APEX SM-10? I just got a set in 19x11 so I can run 305 RE71Rs, but they have 19x10s too. Running a square 11" setup will require extended studs in the front and a 25mm slip on spacer, as well as camber plates, but then you have the option of running either 285 or 305 tires. APEX wheels have a good reputation for track use. No regrets there.

Anyway, if you don't need to be on the absolute fastest tire, I'd look into the Hankook RS4. The RE71R is quick and so much fun to drive, but they do wear quickly. The RS4 seems to be becoming the go-to for a tire that grips well but but also has some staying power.

I've done ~60 track sessions on RE71Rs since I got this car, and I'm looking at getting my 6th set of RE71Rs soon, so I obviously like them quite a bit. I don't have much experience with the Sport Cup 2s. The SC2s are significantly more expensive.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Have you looked at the newer APEX SM-10? I just got a set in 19x11 so I can run 305 RE71Rs, but they have 19x10s too. Running a square 11" setup will require extended studs in the front and a 25mm slip on spacer, as well as camber plates, but then you have the option of running either 285 or 305 tires. APEX wheels have a good reputation for track use. No regrets there.

Anyway, if you don't need to be on the absolute fastest tire, I'd look into the Hankook RS4. The RE71R is quick and so much fun to drive, but they do wear quickly. The RS4 seems to be becoming the go-to for a tire that grips well but but also has some staying power.

I've done ~60 track sessions on RE71Rs since I got this car, and I'm looking at getting my 6th set of RE71Rs soon, so I obviously like them quite a bit. I don't have much experience with the Sport Cup 2s. The SC2s are significantly more expensive.
Was hoping to take advantage of the smaller Wilwood 14s I just bought by shaving weight off the rims and even getting slightly less expensive tires in the same class .

That is why I am shopping 18 x 10s.

I have other wheel and tire sets for winter and non track use but of those ultra performance really do have ridiculous low usage I might climb up to one more step in being conservative. The 4S is more or less something that I could almost get away with running all year here in GA and I don't need to be THAT conservative necessarily as I have two other full sets of wheels and tires that can handle that.

I suppose I could run the 4s on my 20s after my currents run out and make the 18s w Re71s a track day only set up .

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
There isn't much of a downside to running 18x10s if you're happy with the tire selection in 18" sizes.

Is that Willwood brake kit actually an upgrade for our cars? Why not go with the PP1 Brembo brakes and a PP1 brake booster? That at least a known good setup.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
There isn't much of a downside to running 18x10s if you're happy with the tire selection in 18" sizes.

Is that Willwood brake kit actually an upgrade for our cars? Why not go with the PP1 Brembo brakes and a PP1 brake booster? That at least a known good setup.
I don't track that often, they were actually cheaper than the Stock PP1 Brakes and are still a huge upgrade over my 4 Piston 14 inch solid rotors. The Steeda car number #20 won the SARC championship running nearly identical 14 inch Wilwoods (for what ever that is worth i guess). There is a thread about the brakes someone where but i got them out the door with taxes and shipping for $1200.2 while the cheapest i could find the standard PP brakes was around $1350 BEFORE taxes and shipping...and then i still wouldnt have had the two piece slotted rotors or the ability to just replace the rings later like I will with the willwoods. It was a cost benefit thing..some of the benefit is that i should take advantage of it's advantages by shaving off even more weight and picking up some light wt 18s. These 18s only weigh like 22lbs which is pretty good for the money so when I DO track, ill have some of those benefits going ...maybe. Either way, heck of an upgrade to my thinking for the money over what i had. Not only that but the brakes themselves are also a bit lighter, so it isnt just the weight savings from the wheels and tires.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
It is no big deal. It sounds like i will still have a lot more options by going with 19s as far as tire selections as you mentioned.
Sponsored