Sponsored

Financing a Mustang, has anyone done this?

OP
OP

Tempyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT PP
Absolutely. Lenders will give you a max budget of 18% gross income for a vehicle. Without more income, you will have to have a co-x.
I have a co signer, just seriously debating going through with this or not
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tempyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT PP
So is my 20 year old son.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Get out!
Hahah, I have other brothers and sisters that don't live at home anymore so I think/hope they still enjoy my company before were all gone.

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Do it man, 100% do it.

youre only 19 one time, you only get to have this much fun this young one time. Im 25 atm and dont regret a single dollar ive spent on having fun.

OP
OP

Tempyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT PP
Do it man, 100% do it.

youre only 19 one time, you only get to have this much fun this young one time. Im 25 atm and dont regret a single dollar ive spent on having fun.
Thanks man, the biggest thing that is keeping me from getting a car today is if I'll regret it in a few years, still paying a car loan and what not. But when life gives you tough decisions, you just say fuck it and buy a 2016 Mustang GT, right?

Sponsored

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks man, the biggest thing that is keeping me from getting a car today is if I'll regret it in a few years, still paying a car loan and what not. But when life gives you tough decisions, you just say fuck it and buy a 2016 Mustang GT, right?

no ragrets.

not even one little letter.

still go for it imo. Maybe lady luck will get in your favor and you can off the loan earlier than expected.

I stand by my first post. YOLO and buy that GT right meow.

OP
OP

Tempyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT PP
no ragrets.

not even one little letter.

still go for it imo. Maybe lady luck will get in your favor and you can off the loan earlier than expected.

I stand by my first post. YOLO and buy that GT right meow.
First off, great movie. Second, if I did get the car I would try to pay it off as soon as I could. I stand by your decision too, i should stop second guessing myself. Right meow sounds good to me

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Just make sure you dont do anything dumb with the car. Getting tickets or crashing it into someone or something is gonna make it hard to pay off lol. Im all for fun whenever you can find it but just make sure that fun doesnt come at the risk of others. As much as i want to floor the ecobeast whenever i can i always tell myself its not worth putting others at risk of my stupidity. Dont be one of those mustang guys you see on youtube in the fail videos.

OP
OP

Tempyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT PP
Just make sure you dont do anything dumb with the car. Getting tickets or crashing it into someone or something is gonna make it hard to pay off lol. Im all for fun whenever you can find it but just make sure that fun doesnt come at the risk of others. As much as i want to floor the ecobeast whenever i can i always tell myself its not worth putting others at risk of my stupidity. Dont be one of those mustang guys you see on youtube in the fail videos.
Wasn't raised like that, both parents in law enforcement give me endless lectures on what they've seen throughout the years. I understand and respect the power that comes with the car, albeit you have to have a little fun, but do it responsibly

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Where do i start..

First of all, working in retail and only making $800-$900 a month? Dude, i worked in retail when i was 18 and i was making $2k a month working 25-30 hours a week AND going to school. My problem was spending all my money on stupid shit. Nowadays i know kids your age working in retail (sales) making way more than $900 a month. If retail is your thing and you want to comfortably afford that car, find a better retail job. Theres LOTS out there.

Second of all, is your name gonna be on your parents policy, or not? I only did that to get a cheap insurance rate. If anything happened and i was at fault the liability is on me. Better make sure its your name along with theirs on the policy and not just theirs.

Thirdly, no bank will approve you. As stated before, debt to income ratio is too high. your payment will take over 50% of your income, and trust me, its hard. Why? Been there, done that.

Also, if you have that much in savings at 19, i would not take all of that and throw it into a car. Take that money and invest it. Don't put it into a depreciating asset. Or, maybe take a small amount out and get a cheaper but fun car that is cheaper to own and insure all around. I will warn you right now, as the others have, that your purchase can get expensive FAST.

Lastly, this is to all the people complaining of other people living at home for awhile. Im 27 and just moved out of the house a month ago. Where I'm from its a cultural thing to stay with family for a long time. If someone is content where they are, why should they leave? Gives them time to evaluate their priorities, get an education and save money at the same time. As long as the parents are okay with it and they are okay with it, whats the problem? I never could understand parents wanting to kick their kids out of the house at 18. If they're living with you and helping out around the house and whatnot while trying to get a good education and save money, why is that such a problem? Some people want to stay with their parents past 18 nowadays especially with a shaky job market and mounting student loan debt. Young adults these days need to really look at their priorities first before making a big move. Theres a difference between someone sponging off of their parents and living at home and someone living at home but being productive and helping around the house and paying bills.

Bottom line, straight up, you can afford it. Even if you think you can, realistically, you can't. Reevaluate your priorities or get a better job.

Sponsored

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
I know there is a wiiiide variety of people here so I would like to get some feedback if people have done what I'm doing or if you are in the same boat as me currently. First, I'll give some background. I'm 19 years old, I go to college and I work. I'm fortunate enough to have parents that are well off where I don't pay for college, car insurance, or anything of those sorts. All I pay for is gas and food. I make roughly $800-900 a month from working. With that said, I'm putting a down payment on a 2016 GT and taking a loan for 60 months and the pricing comes out to about $375 a month. While the loan is a long while, the car is affordable, well because I don't pay for anything but that and gas. Has anyone had an experience with this? I figured asking car guys would be my best bet, since we all have this love for Mustangs!
You're going to get a lot of 'old, stodgy' comments about you being spoiled or much more fortunate, etc, so I'll leave that part out. The only thing I'll point out is the immense possibility for large change in your life at age 19 - at 8-900 bucks a month, I'd just bank it and wait.

By having your parents at your back and stashing all your money, you're maximizing your future potential for post-graduation. After graduation, you'll find out a lot more about your actual life path, rather than the one you perceive now. I guarantee it'll be different. Much different. $15k buys a lot of used car at a much more reasonable payment (half), and if you need to sell it for whatever reason, you'll be looking at ~3k depreciation instead of what I'm guessing would be triple that. Are your parents going to support you when you're 22? 25? 30? If not, you'll need all the $ you can get at that point, especially as you're accustomed to a lifestyle of a 19 year old with free tuition and rent. If they are, and you're also earning a good salary, I'm guessing you'd want to drive something quite a bit nicer, but maybe not.

To be clear, I'm not chastising or saying the Mustang is a 'dumb' decision - if it's what you want and your parents are underwriting it 100%, do as you please. I just think you'd have a better experience in this situation by waiting for graduation, and graduating with $43k (maybe 25k after that used car) in the bank to start your post-graduate life, assuming zero interest.

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
Little boy, you planning on living off mommy and daddy for the next 15 years......... (you sure as heck ain't gonna be emotionally, mentally, or financially able to do so any earlier). As our good buddy Forrest would say...stupid is as stupid does...
See what I was talking about?

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
if it were me honestly at ur income i wouldn't do it reason being your giving 12k down that for me is a no no i rather have a higher payment and keep money in the bank for a rainy day than give it to the dealer in one shot second even at 375 a month if your only bringing in 900 a month your looking at 600 a month between gas and car parents change their mind sometimes do you really wanna be dependent on them to the point that if you piss them off you might not be able to pay for the car and insurance and also idk about you but me at 19 i wanted the nice car but also wanted to put away money and have spending money my advice get a better job and do it then

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
What is this world coming to when people are perfectly content living at home.... even if my parents were filthy rich I would want to be on my own. so many people rely on mom and dad today and it just makes me laugh how times have changed. more power to you if you get it just be careful
He's delaying gratification of living alone by eliminating the sunk cost of 'rent'. He sounds like a level-headed kid who's not a total pain in the ass to have at home. Delaying gratification in one area to balance some instant gratification of a sweet car - not a totally spoiled kid move really.

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
To the OP:

You need to stop for a sec and realize that:
1) You're asking a financial question
2) You have a clear case of confirmation bias - posting a financial question on a Mustang enthusiast forum clearly proves that.
3) You need to post your financial question on a financial forum or better yet ask your parents' financial advisor/planner.
4) Follow their advice even if you don't like it.

I mainly came here to ask to see if people my age are doing or have done what I'm doing, seeing if they had any success with it.
So, you don't HAVE confirmation bias, but you're actively seeking it. That might be worse. Of course you'll run into those people here. Go over to bogleheads or mrmoneymustache and you'll find people greatly 'succeeding' doing the exact opposite. Instead of looking for validation for a foregone conclusion, I'd just gather perspective and make a decision for yourself, rather than comparing specifics to others.
Sponsored