Sponsored

Fuel Economy and Driving Modes

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Does normal driving mode offer better fuel economy than Sport+ or Track Mode, all else being equal? If not, I don't really see the benefit of using normal mode. It just makes the car feel sluggish and underpowered.
Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
The only thing things that change between modes are steering resistance, throttle response, and shift alogrithm (in auto), plus Track disables traction control.

Now, perhaps, since the Sport throttle response is more aggressive than in normal, that might cause a bit more fuel to be used during non-wot acceleration? I don't know for sure. I am pretty certain if there is a difference it would be fairly insignificant.

I agree 100% with your assessment of Normal.

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It would be nice if Ford issued an update to default to the last driving mode used upon startup. I can see maybe not defaulting to track mode due to traction control being turned off and potential liability there, but don't see the harm in defaulting to Sport+ mode upon startup.

It just doesn't make sense that normal is the default mode when it doesn't do anything to showcase the power or responsiveness of the car. I wonder how many people took a test drive of the Mustang using only Normal mode and were turned away due to the sluggish performance.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
It would be nice if Ford issued an update to default to the last driving mode used upon startup. I can see maybe not defaulting to track mode due to traction control being turned off and potential liability there, but don't see the harm in defaulting to Sport+ mode upon startup.

It just doesn't make sense that normal is the default mode when it doesn't do anything to showcase the power or responsiveness of the car. I wonder how many people took a test drive of the Mustang using only Normal mode and were turned away due to the sluggish performance.
I 100% agree with this as well. You are on a roll. Keep going. :)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sport mode also eases up on the traction control limits, so there's no way for them to make that a default mode.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Sport mode also eases up on the traction control limits, so there's no way for them to make that a default mode.
Right. I forgot about that.

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Are manufacturers required to maintain a certain level of traction control on cars now?

Or is the risk that the car defaults to sport mode and someone sues Ford thinking that they had the full protection of normal mode by default?

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
Are manufacturers required to maintain a certain level of traction control on cars now?

Or is the risk that the car defaults to sport mode and someone sues Ford thinking that they had the full protection of normal mode by default?
yeah, I thought traction control was just a check in the box for manufacturers, not specific in how it interacts. Like how dodge added traction control to the new viper because it was a law, but reviewers have said it doesn't do a whole lot, as in dodge just put it there because they had to.

assclown

Warchief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Vert
I put the car in snow/wet mode on the hwy and I think it yields better fuel mileage.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium

In the United States, at least, it's the law that if a car has the option to relax the traction and stability control standards, the car MUST reset them to fully "on" the next time the car is restarted.

Personally, I leave it in normal mode all the time; the throttle is way too twitchy in Sport+.

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

yeah, I thought traction control was just a check in the box for manufacturers, not specific in how it interacts. Like how dodge added traction control to the new viper because it was a law, but reviewers have said it doesn't do a whole lot, as in dodge just put it there because they had to.
Here's my post from another thread:

It's a legal requirement for every vehicle to default to its standard ESC settings upon each new ignition cycle.

In certain circumstances, drivers may have legitimate reasons to disengage the ESC system or limit its ability to intervene, such as when the vehicle is stuck in sand/gravel, is being used while equipped with snow chains, or is being run on a track for maximum performance. Accordingly, under this final rule, vehicle manufacturers may include a driver*selectable switch that places the ESC system in a mode in which it does not satisfy the performance requirements of the standard (e.g., “sport” mode or full*off mode). However, if the vehicle manufacturer chooses this option, it must ensure that the ESC system always returns to the fully*functional default mode at the initiation of each new ignition cycle, regardless of the mode the driver had previously selected (with certain exceptions for low speed off*road axle/transfer case selections that turn off ESC, but cannot be reset electronically). If the vehicle manufacturer chooses this option, it must also provide an “ESC Off” control and a telltale that is mounted inside the occupant compartment in front of and in clear view of the driver. Such telltale must remain continuously illuminated for as long as the ESC is in a mode that renders it unable to meet the performance requirements of the standard, whenever the ignition locking system is in the “On” (“Run”) position.
Page 18: http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Rules/Associated Files/ESC_FR_03_2007.pdf

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
That makes sense that it resets to normal mode given the traction control regulations. But it doesn't makes sense why normal mode doesn't have the throttle response of Sport+ with full traction control. From other threads, it seems like most people use Sport+ almost exclusively, and I'm guessing a big reason for this is the throttle response.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
That makes sense that it resets to normal mode given the traction control regulations. But it doesn't makes sense why normal mode doesn't have the throttle response of Sport+ with full traction control. From other threads, it seems like most people use Sport+ almost exclusively, and I'm guessing a big reason for this is the throttle response.
It's all a matter of individual taste. Personally, I've put the car in Sport+ a handful of times, but I always put it back in Normal within like 30 seconds because the throttle response is just way too twitchy for me. Everything has to be a compromise, and personally I think that Normal is the perfect balance of quick throttle response and slow throttle response (compare it to snow mode to see what a slow throttle is like).

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
My MPG is about 1-2 lower in Sport+, of course that's with an auto. When you're in Sport+ the throttle practically pushes itself.

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I can say with 100% certainty that my mileage drops if I am in Sport+/Track mode compared to normal mode.
Sponsored