Sponsored

DFB's Gardening Thread

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Ok, so a little bit of a backstory to start this thread.

A large part of my upbringing was spent outside. Whether it be making castles in the sandpit, climbing the huge maple tree in our backyard or playing house in the cubby, being outside has been a constant in my life from the beginning. I also spent a lot of time in my grandparent’s garden. Nan spent many years working as nursery assistant and after retiring, she spent her time tending to a beautiful garden that also had a glass house and what she called the “bush house” that contained my Pa's orchid collection. So, you could say horticulture was in the blood.

IMG_3363.jpg

may181.jpg

As I got older, gardening became my hobby. I was always in a rush to finish my homework so that I could get out into the garden. School holidays were spent playing in Nan and Pa’s garden, helping Pa mow the lawns or planting bulbs with Nan.

As I hit my teens, it became clear that gardening was going to transition from my passionate hobby to becoming my profession. I was mowing lawns from the age of 14, took up horticulture classes in high school, then completed Ornamental Horticulture qualifications over a three-year period. Working in a nursery was my ultimate goal, something that I achieved after working hard to prove myself. With only minimal nursery work available at the time, I started my own business at age 19, a gardening and mowing service that I still run today in conjunction with my nursery work.

So this thread will be a bit of an outlet for my horticultural endeavors. Oh, and also my obsession for mowers!

Most teenage boys want a motorbike or a car for their birthday, well I wanted a leaf blower. And a mower. And a chainsaw. And a brush cutter. :giggle:

Well, I got the lawn mower and brush cutter for two of my birthdays, the leaf blower I worked off. I still have the original lawn mower and blower in the back shed. Those machines started my business and made me a lot of money. I still occasionally use the mower, but she is pretty smokey these days, but I just can't part with it for sentimental reasons. As you can see, Cocker Spaniels have been a part of my life from the beginning.

may33.jpg

If you think I'm nuts about detailing products, lawn mowers are another story! I have had 18 mowers over the last 22 years, the current fleet stands at 9. :giggle: I'm lucky these are a tax write off! :like:

This was the fleet a few years ago -

apr104.jpg

This is the current fleet. All get used in rotation, each machine good in specific situations.

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3855.jpg
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Gardening is my main hobby. I don't have a lot of available space, so I grow things in containers; mostly tomatoes, lettuce, peppers and herbs. I never had much interest in it when I was younger, but as I have gotten older I just like to see things grow.

P1020099.jpg

001.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

P1020028.jpg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Gardening is my main hobby. I don't have a lot of available space, so I grow things in containers; mostly tomatoes, lettuce, peppers and herbs. I never had much interest in it when I was younger, but as I have gotten older I just like to see things grow.

P1020099.jpg

001.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

P1020028.jpg
That's brilliant!

I sort of grew out of gardening as a hobby as it became my profession. But I totally understand the feeling of letting yourself become emersed in a hobby to unwind. There are also credible studies surrounding gardening and the reduction of stress, anxiety and depression. No to mention the physical aspects of spending time in the garden, the activities involved keep you fit and active.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I use Sunday to gain unhindered access to a variety of gardening clients, in particular commercial jobs. Today was an attempt to catch up! My business was sidelined during the recent floods that went through town, and last week while running the nursery for my boss whose parent's home was completely flooded. Some jobs I had not visited in a month. Raining every day is not helping the cause.

I sort of knew I was going to be dealing with thick, tall grass. Normally, I grab my two-stroke Victa Mustang for these conditions, but I'm tired and didn't feel like pushing a mower all day. My self-propelled Bushranger struggles in this sort of grass, the half chute not dealing with thick and wet grass. (Many mowers, including Honda's, suffer from the same problem.)

The only choice then was to resurrect my old full-chute Rover. Except, there was a problem. Last time I went to use this machine it would not start, so it was put away in some frustration and left ever since. We are talking about 18 months here.

I kind of knew it was most likely due to stale fuel, so that was the very first thing I did before even pulling the cord, emptying and refueling with fresh unleaded. I then removed the air filter and sprayed some WD-40 down the carburetor throat and pulled the cord, the engine coughed. I repeated with some more WD-40 and the engine fired and died. At this stage, I knew we had spark and that this was a fueling issue.

Even so, I wanted to remove the plug and promptly snapped the ceramic insulator trying to do so. :facepalm: Never had that happen before. I divided into my spare parts department and found a suitable replacement. This time I sprayed WD-40 directly into the cylinder before reinstalling the plug and pulling the cord. The engine fired and run briefly before backfiring and blowing the baffle off the airbox. Baffle re-installed, I sprayed more WD-40 into the throat and repeated the process several time, the engine running for longer and longer with each restart. By this stage I knew what was happening.

So with each restart, the bowl of the carb was slowly getting filled with fresh fuel to the point where the engine would continue to run. In a technical sense, I should have removed the bowl of the carburetor and drained away the stale fuel, this would have negated the need for the WD-40 as a starting fluid. I started and stopped the engine a few times to make sure it was going to be a reliable workhorse today.

I had forgotten what a great mower this is. I still hate that Kohler engine though, it needs more torque and has always been harder to spin over compared to every other mower engine I have used. While it doesn't smoke, from new it has always burned more oil than it should.

IMG-5587.jpg

It's such a shame Rover no longer make commercial grade mowers, they really had a fantastic workhorse with this model. The robust alloy base on mine is still in great condition, making me want to replace the engine with a 190cc Briggs 850 and put the thing back into service. I floated that idea before I bought the Bushranger but was told not to bother. But the way it cuts and catches in ALL conditions is unbeatable.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Putting stock out a few months ago, this variety made me smile..............

IMG-4005.jpg

As a Ford man, with a name like that I couldn't resist!

Digiplexis are a cross between Digitalis (Foxglove) and Isoplexis (Canary Island Foxglove), offering a longer flowering period than either of their parents. Growing best in full sun, the flower spikes will reach 90-100cm in height.

These plants best suit a cottage garden or mixed boarder, and they are also bee friendly. That made them a perfect choice for one of my gardening clients.

Planting these in July, they are now in flower. The wet winter allowed them to grow and flower more quickly than expected.

IMG-5591.jpg

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I notice you don't have any riding mowers shown. Please comment.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I notice you don't have any riding mowers shown. Please comment.
I have entertained the thought of adding a zero-turn to my line up but have never perused it seriously.

I only do well maintained residential lawns, and only one of them would be suitable for a ride-on machine. As such, I have stayed simple with walk-behind mowers. This also means not having to tow a trailer around everywhere, or find somewhere to store a trailer and ride-on mower.

So, for my applications, a ride-on just doesn't suit my requirements.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Before I started for the day, I walked into my local Stihl dealer with a wad of cash ready to buy a new chainsaw!

I already have a Stihl MSA 140 C-B which I have been using for light pruning jobs. It's a great little saw for that role, it's battery powered and so easy to just grab and go.

may171.jpg

may32.jpg

I also have an old 009L that was used for firewood collection for a long time. Despite it's petite looks, this saw has a larger than normal 40.8cc engine, so it had great power to weight.

009L.jpg

But, I wanted something that I could use on larger jobs and know I wouldn't be left wanting! I was also not considering anything other than a Stihl for this purchase, despite wavering here and there, I'm a Stihl boy to the core and grew up in awe of my neighbors big Stihl chainsaw.

(Note - These prices are in Australian Dollars, inflated over the price you US guys pay)

I had two models shortlisted, the $ 899 MS 251 and the $999 MS 271. These two are within Stihl's "Landowner" range, offering bigger engines than the "Homeowner" range, but without the bulk and extreme power of the "Professional" line that is catered to industries who use these all day long.

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws/Landowner-Chainsaws/21867-1572/MS-251.aspx
https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws/Landowner-Chainsaws/21824-1572/MS-271.aspx

Stihl also sell a MS 251 C-BE for $999 with their Easy2Start system, but I decided to forgo that feature. I figured that if I'm going to spend $1000, I would rather spend that on a more powerful machine. For the extra $100 over the 45.6cc MS 251, the MS 271 comes with a larger 50.2cc engine and a longer bar. In the end, I chose the MS 271 for the additional power and bar size for a modest price premium. Once you go above the MS 271, you start to get into pretty big money, so the 271 is a happy sweet spot in the range.

This store is ALWAYS busy, with far more floor traffic and phone calls than they small team can deal with. I know how that feels! So I try to know what I want and just get to the point so I'm not wasting their time or mine.

I told the guy I wanted a saw and the two I was looking at, he handed me the MS 271 and I said "I'll take it" in less than 15 seconds. He remarked that I was so easy to deal with, my response was I always researched what I'm looking at so I kind of already know what I want when I walk in the store.

I also wanted the carry case and the 2-in1 chain sharpening tool along with the saw. I never ask for discount, I think it's rude to be honest. But they know I'm a contractor so they seem to always give me a good deal. This saw was no different. The MS 271 retails for $999 and the case $100, so I came prepared to spend $1100. All up, I got the saw, sharpener and case for $1050 with a free chain included, which works out to be about $147 discount and $50 under budget.

We both won here, he got an easy sale, and I got a new toy...........

IMG-5701.jpg

IMG-5699.jpg

IMG-5698.jpg

IMG-5700.jpg

IMG-5694.jpg

IMG-5703.jpg

IMG-5712.jpg

Stihl saws have had these features for a while now, but a single action choke/run/stop lever and the tool-less fuel/oil caps add to ease of use.

IMG-5706.jpg

IMG-5702.jpg

The 2in1 File is for quickly sharpening the teeth and depth gauge in a single step.

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Prod...ccessories/21733-1649/2-in-1-File-Holder.aspx

IMG-5692.jpg

IMG-5716.jpg

IMG-5718.jpg

The case is supplied with a replacement bar cover to allow it to slot into the body of the case.

IMG-5722.jpg

The case is also large enough to hold the supplied multitool and sharpener.

IMG-5726.jpg

IMG-5724.jpg

When the salesman took the machine out back for it's pre-use startup, I couldn't help but smile at the sound she made, a super healthy scream. 🤤

For this point onwards, I'm going to call her Aretha, as in Aretha Franklin whose voice seemed to have the ability to out scream all the others.

Once I got her home, I can safely say I'm going to love using this saw. It has a little hesitancy on initial throttle application that I'm told will settle once the saw breaks in. But boy, can she rev! She has this lovely throaty growl when given full throttle that builds to a frankly hard-on inducing scream. Sorry, but I can't be the only nutjob who gets off on the sound of an angry chainsaw! :blush::giggle:

NOW! I have this unnatural urge to go and chop something down! Anything! :rockon:

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
When I was growing up, I had a neighbor that always seemed to have all the coolest things. He was like me in a couple of ways, never doing things by halves when it came to gadgets and tools.

He had a wood fired heater for the winter months, and that meant he needed a chainsaw. I remember my Dad and I tagging along to help him collect firewood for his and our garage potbelly stove. We supplied the big Mazda T3500 and labor, meaning he could collect more than the little box trailer he normally used. He supplied the chainsaw. We then split the load, he taking 2/3 and us 1/3.

I always wanted a chainsaw like he had. To a 12-year-old boy, it looked and sounded so big and powerful. This is that saw, a Stihl 028AV Super -

IMG-5730.jpg

IMG-5728.jpg

IMG-5732.jpg

From what I can gather, this model was made from 1979 to 1990 and in Super guise, used a 51.5cc engine with 3.2hp. The "AV" designation refers to Anti-Vibration, a feature most saws have as standard these days. It also has a full magnesium case, rather than the plastic used for most modern saws.

As you can see, she is in need of some attention. While it may look dirty and unloved, he looked after that saw very well so I have no doubt it would still be a very good machine. It's likely not been used in ten years or more and now hangs unneeded on a hook.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Holy crap, that's expensive for a chainsaw, considering the currency exchange difference is 1.54 to 1.00 between AU and US. I can buy that same model here for $450.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Holy crap, that's expensive for a chainsaw, considering the currency exchange difference is 1.54 to 1.00 between AU and US. I can buy that same model here for $450.
EVERYTHING in Australia costs us more than other places in the world. Granted, we are paid a higher minimum wage, but a lot of stuff ends up being double taxed as well.

I make this comparison a lot, but a $9.99 16oz bottle of Adams Car Shampo ends up costing $32 in this stupid country.

Sticking with Mustang's, our based level GT is preloaded with the Premium Package, 401A Package and the Performance Pack. That spec with a manual costs about USD $55,000. In AUD that's $71,224, which included "Luxury Car Tax" (A Mustang is NOT a luxury car!).

When I was watching videos researching chainsaws, most were from the USA and the prices they were quoting made me choke. We get ripped off so much.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have a $129.00 Troy-Bilt chainsaw that is close to the specs of yours. I bought it 7 years ago. The current version is $219.00. I don't know if it's as good as my older one. Troy-Bilt was bought by MTD, who was bought by Black and Decker. I think the engines are now made in China. The next time I need a chainsaw, I will probably get a Stihl.

On the Mustang, you must pay extra because of the effort needed to put the steering wheel on the wrong side!:crackup:

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have a $129.00 Troy-Bilt chainsaw that is close to the specs of yours. I bought it 7 years ago. The current version is $219.00. I don't know if it's as good as my older one. Troy-Bilt was bought by MTD, who was bought by Black and Decker. I think the engines are now made in China. The next time I need a chainsaw, I will probably get a Stihl.

On the Mustang, you must pay extra because of the effort needed to put the steering wheel on the wrong side!:crackup:
A lot of Stihl and Husqvarna's lineup is made in China anyway. Even the Honda engine on one of my mowers is made in China. That Chinese made Honda engine was a $410 extra over the same mower fitted with a "Chinese" Loncin engine. But it's a Honda, right? :facepalm:

sep74.jpg

sep144.jpg

Ok, so it's RANT TIME -

For decades, the likes of Stihl and Husqvarna were the pinnacle of small engine power tools. They commanded a price premium because they were premium products, squarely aimed at professionals and homeowners who valued quality.

Over the last decade or so, I have noticed a gradual decline in the quality of Stihl products. I blame this on the companies attempt to compete with the throw away tools sold at the usual Big-Box stores.

On one hand, this put the brand in more peoples reach. On other hand, it cheapens the brand image by selling cost driven, lower quality tools.

As a professional, when I go shopping for professional grade tools, I expect to get professional grade quality and performance. If I wanted a cheap throw away tool, I wouldn't have walked into a Stihl or Husqvarna store to begin with. So the quest to cater to the lower end of the market is harming the image and qaulity they built by making pro-grade tools.

The most obvious example in my mind would be the BG 56 / 86 line of leaf blowers, arguably the best handheld blower on the market. I have used these for nearly 20 years now, right back to when this model was released as the BG 55 and BG 85. Those machines were built and the engines seemed more powerful. The latest crop just doesn't perform like they did and have several niggly little issues that really shouldn't exist on a machine that has been in production for 20 years.

This is your stamped connecting rod on a BG 56/86 blower -

bg86102.jpg

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Wow, that's pretty crappy looking!

I try to buy the best grade of lawn equipment I can find because it lasts a lot longer and the quality of the replacement models will be lower, in the future. I don't have a big yard (1/2 acre) but I have a commercial grade zero turn Snapper riding mower, commercial grade push mower and other lawn equipment. My leaf blower is a 25 year old Craftsman corded electric. It works better than newer gas models I have tried.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The rose section of the nursery is absolutely stunning at the moment, the additional rainfall this spring has allowed them to develop lovely full flower buds.

These Pierre De Ronsard roses are a highlight at the moment. This variety is commonly grown as a climber, but this example is a weeping standard. I have also seen Pierre De Ronsard kept pruned as a shrub rose.

IMG-5776.jpg

In addition to pink, there is also a blushed white variety called 'Blushing Pierre' and a red version called 'Red Pierre'. All three varieties feature a similar bloom structure and overall growth habit, I prefer the red and pink versions though.

That added rainfall, now teamed with warmth, means there is an added challenge - blackspot. Fungal problems thrive in humidity, blackspot is no different. This situation is not helped by our overhead watering system and the sheer volume of rose stock we have this year, limiting airflow. Even with weekly sprays with both Mancozeb and Triforine, the blackspot is still developing. It can be hard to explain that to a customer, that blackspot and roses go hand in hand, even with the best practice treatments.

If you are also battling blackspot on roses, here are a couple of things to consider trying -

-Maintain airflow by pruning out inward pointing shoots. This helps keep the middle of the bush open and improves airflow.

-Avoid overhead watering, directing water to the root system rather than over the foliage.

-Thin out your mulch a little around the base of the plants. Mulch is great, but it can also increase humidity.

-Remove fallen blackspot affected foliage as best as you can. This will limit the spores being released back onto the rest of the plant. It's also a good idea to put this material in the bin rather than the compost to avoid spreading the spores around the garden.

-Regularly use an appropriate fungicide. Triforine is the best, but Mancozeb can be added into the rotation as well. There are also homemade remedies, but their effectiveness is limited. You can also get combined insecticide/fungicide products for roses, but I prefer to treat blackspot with a dedicated fungicide for a more focused effect. Both Triforine and Mancozeb are systemic, meaning they have a residual effect for 10 - 14 days.
Sponsored