Science is now cancelled? [USERS NOW BANNED FOR POLITICS]

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
EDIT: What do you mean “identify as MALE”?
My understanding is they they are identifying by gender, not sex.
Good thing you’re not in charge of teaching that one either I guess…
Hello; You got me on this. I do not keep up with how the language is being screwed day to day, so must have missed this one. So enlighten me. How is gender not sex. I am old school and for me there has always been males and females. Still pretty sure that is the actual case.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; You got me on this. I do not keep up with how the language is being screwed day to day, so must have missed this one. So enlighten me. How is gender not sex. I am old school and for me there has always been males and females. Still pretty sure that is the actual case.
I’m as confused as most people on this one.
But, male/female man/woman aren’t necessarily synonymous.

Sex is a scientific concept that refers to your reproductive organs or perhaps your chromosomes, the other refers to (presumably) appearance. Even the idea of “sex” can be tricky in some instances.
(Don’t quote me on this, I’m new to the idea too).

Cube and box are similar words right? They can describe a similar concept, but they aren‘t synonymous.
A box CAN be a cube, but not all boxes are cubes and not all cubes are boxes.

Basically, if you try and define any of the man/woman/male/female categories, you’ll almost certainly fail because the diversity of those categories is quite large.

EDIT: Some of the stuff going on is absolutely batshit crazy to me but, my opinions don’t matter much.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the irony. Both his daughters, one in high school and one in middle school, wound up pregnant. So yes, the sex ed was not great in the school.
I don’t think that’s ironic as much as “expected”. 🤷‍♂️

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Are You Immune After a COVID Infection? (msn.com)

“That said, evidence is growing that contracting SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is generally as effective as vaccination at stimulating your immune system to prevent the disease. Yet federal officials have been reluctant to recognize any equivalency, citing the wide variation in COVID patients' immune response to infection.”

Hello my comment; Here is my take on the wide variation in COVID patients' immune response to infection. Seems to me such is the same for those with the shots. The thinking being we can get very ill and some of us can die with the shots.

The Food and Drug Administration has authorized the use of COVID antibody tests, which can cost about $70, to detect a past infection. Some tests can distinguish whether the antibodies came from an infection or a vaccine. But neither the FDA nor the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend using the tests to assess whether you're, in fact, immune to COVID. For that, the tests are essentially useless because there's no agreement on the amount or types of antibodies that would signal protection from the disease.

Hello my comment; My take is when there are measurable antibodies the authorities are for some reason not making a call. Wonder why?

Dr. Arthur Reingold, an epidemiologist at UC-Berkeley, and Shane Crotty, a virologist at the respected La Jolla Institute for Immunology in San Diego, gave expert witness testimony in Kheriaty's lawsuit, saying the extent of immunity from reinfection, especially against newer variants of COVID, is unknown. They noted that vaccination gives a huge immunity boost to people who've been ill previously.

Hello my comment; put this in so some would not have to point it out. You might not an additional comment in the link about him.

, may help turn the tide toward acceptance of prior infection, Klausner said. "Everyone is just A large August study from Israel, which showed better protection from infection than from vaccinationwaiting for Fauci to say, 'Prior infection provides protection,'" he said.

When Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top federal expert on infectious diseases, was asked during a CNN interview last month whether infected people were as well protected as those who've been vaccinated, he hedged. "There could be an argument" that they are, he said. Fauci did not immediately respond to a KHN request for further comment.

A "monumental effort" is underway to determine what level of antibodies is protective, said Dr. Robert Seder, chief of the cellular immunology section at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Recent studies have taken a stab at a number.

Hello my comment; you can click on the link to see the taken a stab article.

Lasting immunity found after recovery from COVID-19 | National Institutes of Health (NIH)

Hello my comment; Keep in mind this link is from Jan 2021. Pretty sure the durable memories of the virus continue.
  • “The immune systems of more than 95% of people who recovered from COVID-19 had durable memories of the virus up to eight months after infection.”
  • “This long-term immune protection involves several components. Antibodies—proteins that circulate in the blood—recognize foreign substances like viruses and neutralize them. Different types of T cells help recognize and kill pathogens. B cells make new antibodies when the body needs them.”
  • All of these immune-system components have been found in people who recover from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. But the details of this immune response and how long it lasts after infection have been unclear. Scattered reports of reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 have raised concerns that the immune response to the virus might not be durable.”
“The researchers found durable immune responses in the majority of people studied. Antibodies against the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2, which the virus uses to get inside cells, were found in 98% of participants one month after symptom onset. As seen in previous studies, the number of antibodies ranged widely between individuals. But, promisingly, their levels remained fairly stable over time, declining only modestly at 6 to 8 months after infection.”

“Virus-specific B cells increased over time. People had more memory B cells six months after symptom onset than at one month afterwards. Although the number of these cells appeared to reach a plateau after a few months, levels didn’t decline over the period studied.”

“Levels of T cells for the virus also remained high after infection. Six months after symptom onset, 92% of participants had CD4+ T cells that recognized the virus. These cells help coordinate the immune response. About half the participants had CD8+ T cells, which kill cells that are infected by the virus.”

As with antibodies, the numbers of different immune cell types varied substantially between individuals. Neither gender nor differences in disease severity could account for this variability. However, 95% of the people had at least 3 out of 5 immune-system components that could recognize SARS-CoV-2 up to 8 months after infection.”

Several months ago, our studies showed that natural infection induced a strong response, and this study now shows that the responses last,” Weiskopf says. “We are hopeful that a similar pattern of responses lasting over time will also emerge for the vaccine-induced responses.”

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I don’t think that’s ironic as much as “expected”. 🤷‍♂️
Hormones over-ride logic and education in the heat of the moment. I remember a guy in high school that used a sandwich bag with his girlfriend because there was nothing else in the house ... guess what happened. At least they tried.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hormones over-ride logic and education in the heat of the moment. I remember a guy in high school that used a sandwich bag with his girlfriend because there was nothing else in the house ... guess what happened. At least they tried.
That’s true, but if you don’t know any better, you really don’t have much chance at all.

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV

“That said, evidence is growing that contracting SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is generally as effective as vaccination at stimulating your immune system to prevent the disease. Yet federal officials have been reluctant to recognize any equivalency, citing the wide variation in COVID patients' immune response to infection.”

Hello my comment; Here is my take on the wide variation in COVID patients' immune response to infection. Seems to me such is the same for those with the shots. The thinking being we can get very ill and some of us can die with the shots.

The Food and Drug Administration has authorized the use of COVID antibody tests, which can cost about $70, to detect a past infection. Some tests can distinguish whether the antibodies came from an infection or a vaccine. But neither the FDA nor the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend using the tests to assess whether you're, in fact, immune to COVID. For that, the tests are essentially useless because there's no agreement on the amount or types of antibodies that would signal protection from the disease.

Hello my comment; My take is when there are measurable antibodies the authorities are for some reason not making a call. Wonder why?

Dr. Arthur Reingold, an epidemiologist at UC-Berkeley, and Shane Crotty, a virologist at the respected La Jolla Institute for Immunology in San Diego, gave expert witness testimony in Kheriaty's lawsuit, saying the extent of immunity from reinfection, especially against newer variants of COVID, is unknown. They noted that vaccination gives a huge immunity boost to people who've been ill previously.

Hello my comment; put this in so some would not have to point it out. You might not an additional comment in the link about him.

, may help turn the tide toward acceptance of prior infection, Klausner said. "Everyone is just A large August study from Israel, which showed better protection from infection than from vaccinationwaiting for Fauci to say, 'Prior infection provides protection,'" he said.

When Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top federal expert on infectious diseases, was asked during a CNN interview last month whether infected people were as well protected as those who've been vaccinated, he hedged. "There could be an argument" that they are, he said. Fauci did not immediately respond to a KHN request for further comment.

A "monumental effort" is underway to determine what level of antibodies is protective, said Dr. Robert Seder, chief of the cellular immunology section at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Recent studies have taken a stab at a number.

Lasting immunity found after recovery from COVID-19 | National Institutes of Health (NIH)

Hello my comment; Keep in mind this link is from Jan 2021. Pretty sure the durable memories of the virus continue.
  • “The immune systems of more than 95% of people who recovered from COVID-19 had durable memories of the virus up to eight months after infection.
  • “This long-term immune protection involves several components. Antibodies—proteins that circulate in the blood—recognize foreign substances like viruses and neutralize them. Different types of T cells help recognize and kill pathogens. B cells make new antibodies when the body needs them.”
  • All of these immune-system components have been found in people who recover from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. But the details of this immune response and how long it lasts after infection have been unclear. Scattered reports of reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 have raised concerns that the immune response to the virus might not be durable.”
“The researchers found durable immune responses in the majority of people studied. Antibodies against the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2, which the virus uses to get inside cells, were found in 98% of participants one month after symptom onset. As seen in previous studies, the number of antibodies ranged widely between individuals. But, promisingly, their levels remained fairly stable over time, declining only modestly at 6 to 8 months after infection.”

“Virus-specific B cells increased over time. People had more memory B cells six months after symptom onset than at one month afterwards. Although the number of these cells appeared to reach a plateau after a few months, levels didn’t decline over the period studied.”

“Levels of T cells for the virus also remained high after infection. Six months after symptom onset, 92% of participants had CD4+ T cells that recognized the virus. These cells help coordinate the immune response. About half the participants had CD8+ T cells, which kill cells that are infected by the virus.”

As with antibodies, the numbers of different immune cell types varied substantially between individuals. Neither gender nor differences in disease severity could account for this variability. However, 95% of the people had at least 3 out of 5 immune-system components that could recognize SARS-CoV-2 up to 8 months after infection.”

Several months ago, our studies showed that natural infection induced a strong response, and this study now shows that the responses last,” Weiskopf says. “We are hopeful that a similar pattern of responses lasting over time will also emerge for the vaccine-induced responses.”
I have emboldened a few items in your post that clearly demonstrate that natural infection provides some immunity of unknown duration in at least 95% of people (but pity the 5%) and that vaccination provides a huge immunity boost.

You then said 'My take is when there are measurable antibodies the authorities are for some reason not making a call'. Well we know from that and below that not everybody develops a protective immune response after infection. For weeks now you have been saying categorically that people who have had COVID and recovered do not need the 'shots'. It seems you are finally beginning to understand that firstly this is categorically not the case, secondly that vaccination post COVID provides a huge boost to immunity and finally that the only way to tell is to test antibodies on those people.

Consider that testing for antibodies could cost a significant amount of money ($50 springs to mind when you include the test, reporting, advice) and that is assuming you know the cut off for the test) You still omit to suggest how often this should be done and at what point vaccination is advised. But as usual that isn't 'your problem' as you don't give 'advice' or help people you just poke sticks and fuel conspiracies.

And STILL you ignore this. PLEASE RESPOND

So I will pop this link in again for about the 9th time and would love you to actually read it this time - bit awkward for you I know.

We also show that clinical illness does not guarantee seroconversion

And the real biggie

RT-PCR positive persons who experienced COVID-19 symptoms might be less inclined to seek vaccination, believing they are protected, but our results caution against this assumption

Predictors of Nonseroconversion after SARS-CoV-2 Infection - Volume 27, Number 9—September 2021 - Emerging Infectious Diseases journal - CDC

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
You assume that you need to remove ALL of the virus from the air to prevent/reduce the spread of infection. Maybe, just maybe, your assumption is incorrect?

Maybe people with more experience in this area might have a slightly better understanding of it than a retired dude with an opinion?

That couldn’t possibly be the case though right?
It is very simple. There is an 'infectious dose' required for infection, as in number of virions. There is some data to confirm that the higher the initial 'dose' then the worse the symptoms. Irrespective of this if you need n virions to cause an infection, then if you have <n virions or 10 x n virions there will be very different outcomes. Anything that reduces the number of virions floating around you will help.

This is achieved by distance, ventilation, UV, masks etc. All contribute, but none are the answer individually, unless you walk around in a full biohazard suit!

uncover_029-01_review_infectious_dose_of_covid-19.pdf (ed.ac.uk)

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Not so old school that hermaphrodites were not around.

Your ignorance on sexuality matches your ignorance in many other areas

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It is very simple. There is an 'infectious dose' required for infection, as in number of virions. There is some data to confirm that the higher the initial 'dose' then the worse the symptoms. Irrespective of this if you need n virions to cause an infection, then if you have <n virions or 10 x n virions there will be very different outcomes. Anything that reduces the number of virions floating around you will help.

This is achieved by distance, ventilation, UV, masks etc. All contribute, but none are the answer individually, unless you walk around in a full biohazard suit!

uncover_029-01_review_infectious_dose_of_covid-19.pdf (ed.ac.uk)
My understanding was similar to that but you’ve provided a much more concise explanation. Thank you!

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Hello; Here is a thought there are lots of unintended teenage pregnancies every year. I knew of it among middle and high school students where I taught. So perhaps we should require all students who identify as male be required to wear condoms. Better include all adult school personnel who identify as male now that I think about it. Oh wait, I must not be able to understand because my idea may not work in a place such as Loudon VA.

Adolescent pregnancy (who.int)

( note - for what it is worth. This link is just one I found with some numbers about teenage pregnancies. Does not necessarily mean I support every thing the agency in the link may support. I do thing think the deaths reported ought to attract attention. )
...What is your point here?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red

• “The immune systems of more than 95% of people who recovered from COVID-19 had durable memories of the virus up to eight months after infection.”

None of this is new...in fact, we have been using some of this very information and language to try and show you your errors. Now you are using it to bolster your personal beliefs.

Can't make this shit up.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Not so old school that hermaphrodites were not around.

Your ignorance on sexuality matches your ignorance in many other areas
Hello; Since you want to be technical in a gotcha. They are still within the definition of male and female. But yes I did know of the condition.