Science is now cancelled? [USERS NOW BANNED FOR POLITICS]

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Hello; Let me show my ignorance on this. Best I can figure is the Queen and the royals do not have any direct say in the running of the country day to day. They do have influence tho. There was a film made about the death of Diana. The prime Minister (Blair maybe) was shown as working with the Queen to present a public face.
Yes the royals are a figurehead in some ways and they do control substantial wealth. I do imagine the Queen can make a speech get an ear from the public.
Pretty much spot on. Public impression is about as far as the royals can go. They can give an opinion to the government, but never get involved in policy. In fact the Queen is especially careful to be seen to be completely neutral.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Your quote was not copied over but incorrect again. There are cars being built, sold, sold again until they are scrapped. me selling the Kuga doesn't create an additional car, it replaces the one the buyer had and so on until the last person in the chain scraps their old banger. This is how the ICE ban on new cars will work through the system and makes progress without removing all ICE cars overnight.

Once again you are simply incorrect

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
It is OK posting stuff like this, but it is just an opinion piece from a right wing paper who will slag off Biden whatever he does good or bad. It is a perfect example of 'follow the money' the money being from right wing conservatives who we know generally claim climate change is a hoax.

It is important to understand what the writers viewpoint is before you read it - and I'm afraid it is why the US media is in such a hole, where money from right or left extremes just pays for people to write what their audience want to hear.

It is worthless in this discussion as it is just as opinionated as Greta is - but in the opposite direction. Both are wrong
Hello; Afraid your opinion does not trump someone else's opinion about the link. The link was not in essence just a ding job on Biden, but more about the ongoing policies that have been targeting USA oil production. This is just another policy move in a line of such which have increased the price of fuel at the pump.
The way I understood the article there was "LAW" in place in 2017 allowing for leases to be bought and had for drilling. This action will not only reduce the amount of USA oil but also will have liability issues which will cost American citizens.
I encourage forum members to read it and make their own conclusions.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Afraid your opinion does not trump someone else's opinion about the link.
Completely agree - but as I pointed out, the politics in the article demonstrate a far from neutral opinion, and one where the money behind the opinion is very clear. It has no more validity than green extremists proclaiming fossil fuels should be phased out overnight.

Anybody taken in by that 'follow the money' science at either extreme is a fool to themselves.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The same polluters destroying our climate are profiting off single-use plastics (msn.com)

Hello; First thing is this article is by a fellow from Greenpeace so I imagine our Gregs24 will dismiss it as just an opinion hit job. I guess it is opinion but it dredged up a few memories.

Back when I was a teenager my father worked for the Coca-Cola bottling company. He drove a delivery truck. When I got big enough ( teenage) I would go with him as a helper on school vacation days and in the summers. This was in the early 1960's. We delivered glass bottles of product and picked up empty cases of bottles. The empty bottles were washed and refilled at the bottling plant in Middlesborough KY. ( Now spelled Middlesboro). One of my grandfathers ran the bottle washing machine.
I did not like the empties much. It was awful in the summer. Bees would be around the cases of empties. My job would be to go to where a big store stored the empties. I would have to sort the Coke bottles from the other brands. Then I would have to haul them back to the truck. We usually started the day with at least a half empty bin in the truck bed. That gave me a place to put the empty cases of bottles for a while.
When no bin was available to put the empties in I would climb on top of the truck bed. My father would toss the cases of empties up and I would catch them. The truck had rails to keep the cases from falling off. Often the sticky soda would splash on me .
( Side story- my father sometime had to work the route alone so he got pretty good at tossing cases of empty bottles on top of the truck. One day he decided to just toss a case of empties on top. He was a strong man and must have been feeling his oats as the case sailed over the truck, turning upside down and dumped 24 bottles on the ground. Guess who has to clean up the mess? )

Anyway for those who do not know there was a deposit on every bottle of soda when it sold. It was 2 cents back then. So people would save or collect empties and turn them in at a store and get paid for each bottle. ( two cents back then was worth it. I could buy a bottle of coke and a Hershey bar for a dime. Not a small Hershey bar like they are today either.)
By the end of a days route we would have a truck load of empty bottles for my grandfather to clean and then others would refill. I think a bottle averaged being refilled about 24 to 30 times before it broke.

Before I stopped working on the truck the aluminum cans had started to be used. They were a one way item. I liked them at the time because I did not have to fool with empties. They did wind up as trash tho. There was an OK side to this as the cans could be recycled.

My father and I were not working a coke truck when plastic bottles showed up. The advantage to the soda companies was two fold. One is the plastic bottles were lighter than the glass so shipping costs were down. The other is a one way product eliminated the bottle washing machine and my grandfathers job. so they saved money. Of course the plastic became trash.

I finally get to the point. Around the time I was a population champion ( 1970's) I was also into save the environment. We champions wanted a "bottle bill" to be passed in states. The idea was for each product sold to have a recovery deposit added to the initial price. One way plastic bottles might have some turn in value so it would be worth it for someone to pick it off the street to turn it in. A stove or refrigerator or other such products would already have a disposal fee prepaid at the time of purchase and would not just show up in illegal road side dumps. ( back then folks would find some out of the way place and dump their trash. Often on the side of a road. )
That way every product at the end of it's useful life has some built in value and is not just to be discarded. Plastic drink bottles might last ten minutes after purchase but some one would pick the empty up and return it for the deposit. Appliances would already have the cost built in so a waste disposal site could be set up to have a place to take them to.
Well as you have already guessed, none of that happened so now plastic has little to no value and is trash. But I and some other champions made an effort.

( Note - there is an interesting story with UK connections to my home town of Middlesboro KY)

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
The same polluters destroying our climate are profiting off single-use plastics (msn.com)

Hello; First thing is this article is by a fellow from Greenpeace so I imagine our Gregs24 will dismiss it as just an opinion hit job. I guess it is opinion but it dredged up a few memories.

Back when I was a teenager my father worked for the Coca-Cola bottling company. He drove a delivery truck. When I got big enough ( teenage) I would go with him as a helper on school vacation days and in the summers. This was in the early 1960's. We delivered glass bottles of product and picked up empty cases of bottles. The empty bottles were washed and refilled at the bottling plant in Middlesborough KY. ( Now spelled Middlesboro). One of my grandfathers ran the bottle washing machine.
I did not like the empties much. It was awful in the summer. Bees would be around the cases of empties. My job would be to go to where a big store stored the empties. I would have to sort the Coke bottles from the other brands. Then I would have to haul them back to the truck. We usually started the day with at least a half empty bin in the truck bed. That gave me a place to put the empty cases of bottles for a while.
When no bin was available to put the empties in I would climb on top of the truck bed. My father would toss the cases of empties up and I would catch them. The truck had rails to keep the cases from falling off. Often the sticky soda would splash on me .
( Side story- my father sometime had to work the route alone so he got pretty good at tossing cases of empty bottles on top of the truck. One day he decided to just toss a case of empties on top. He was a strong man and must have been feeling his oats as the case sailed over the truck, turning upside down and dumped 24 bottles on the ground. Guess who has to clean up the mess? )

Anyway for those who do not know there was a deposit on every bottle of soda when it sold. It was 2 cents back then. So people would save or collect empties and turn them in at a store and get paid for each bottle. ( two cents back then was worth it. I could buy a bottle of coke and a Hershey bar for a dime. Not a small Hershey bar like they are today either.)
By the end of a days route we would have a truck load of empty bottles for my grandfather to clean and then others would refill. I think a bottle averaged being refilled about 24 to 30 times before it broke.

Before I stopped working on the truck the aluminum cans had started to be used. They were a one way item. I liked them at the time because I did not have to fool with empties. They did wind up as trash tho. There was an OK side to this as the cans could be recycled.

My father and I were not working a coke truck when plastic bottles showed up. The advantage to the soda companies was two fold. One is the plastic bottles were lighter than the glass so shipping costs were down. The other is a one way product eliminated the bottle washing machine and my grandfathers job. so they saved money. Of course the plastic became trash.

I finally get to the point. Around the time I was a population champion ( 1970's) I was also into save the environment. We champions wanted a "bottle bill" to be passed in states. The idea was for each product sold to have a recovery deposit added to the initial price. One way plastic bottles might have some turn in value so it would be worth it for someone to pick it off the street to turn it in. A stove or refrigerator or other such products would already have a disposal fee prepaid at the time of purchase and would not just show up in illegal road side dumps. ( back then folks would find some out of the way place and dump their trash. Often on the side of a road. )
That way every product at the end of it's useful life has some built in value and is not just to be discarded. Plastic drink bottles might last ten minutes after purchase but some one would pick the empty up and return it for the deposit. Appliances would already have the cost built in so a waste disposal site could be set up to have a place to take them to.
Well as you have already guessed, none of that happened so now plastic has little to no value and is trash. But I and some other champions made an effort.

( Note - there is an interesting story with UK connections to my home town of Middlesboro KY)
What is interesting is glass bottles are the norm in many countries still (the coke bottle still lives on) and certainly they are easier to recycle. We also had the 'deposit' on glass bottles in the 70's (I used to go and take them back to get the penny deposit) but plastic took over, partly because of weight.

I suppose the point the writer is trying to make is that despite thinking we are recycling (so the general public is making the effort) the recyclers are not doing their job. Packaging in the UK has changed dramatically in the last 5 years with single use plastic shopping bags virtually gone and lots of other packaging that was plastic now paper based. Even my magazine subscription comes in a compostable bag (and it does very quickly).This has been partially driven by a mandatory tax on plastic bags but also public pressure to reduce packaging waste. As always there has to be a realistic balance between environmental impact and practicality, especially when food safety is concerned.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Dead link. When I see a link like that I suspect it was generated to display the results of a search for the asker but then gets soon deleted by a garbage collection process.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; I do not think he got what you were doing in that post. Perhaps he may go back and read it again. In a way it is funny that he missed it and in another way sort of sad.
Would you please stop assuming you know what I’m thinking or what I may or may not have understood? Seriously.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What is interesting is glass bottles are the norm in many countries still (the coke bottle still lives on) and certainly they are easier to recycle. We also had the 'deposit' on glass bottles in the 70's (I used to go and take them back to get the penny deposit) but plastic took over, partly because of weight.

I suppose the point the writer is trying to make is that despite thinking we are recycling (so the general public is making the effort) the recyclers are not doing their job. Packaging in the UK has changed dramatically in the last 5 years with single use plastic shopping bags virtually gone and lots of other packaging that was plastic now paper based. Even my magazine subscription comes in a compostable bag (and it does very quickly).This has been partially driven by a mandatory tax on plastic bags but also public pressure to reduce packaging waste. As always there has to be a realistic balance between environmental impact and practicality, especially when food safety is concerned.
Wait…what?
You mean to tell me that your government was clever enough to bring the changes in gradually so as not to upend the whole system? Seems kinda weird.

Were there people fighting in the street, opposing the unjust nature of the new laws around plastics?
Surely they have a RIGHT to consume as much plastic as they want….

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Wait…what?
You mean to tell me that your government was clever enough to bring the changes in gradually so as not to upend the whole system? Seems kinda weird.

Were there people fighting in the street, opposing the unjust nature of the new laws around plastics?
Surely they have a RIGHT to consume as much plastic as they want….
Yes, all those crushed civil liberties.

The real pain is having to go to the shops so many times to pick up one peanut at a time, but hey we are getting used to it and we had electricity last week for 20 minutes when the wind blew.

Better be careful or some numpty on here will believe me :crazy:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Have you REALLY thought about what you’re saying?
He proudly proclaims he got rid of a dirty car and replaced it with a clean hy-bred.

Come to find out he only sent the dirty car to another who continues to use it.
So, Greg gets to feel smug, I'm saving the planet, but really did nothing since the polluting car still is polluting.

Then he wants to call me out for burning fossil fuel to heat my house. All while he is using heating oil himself....

You care so much for the environment you do smokey burnouts........

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Would you please stop assuming you know what I’m thinking or what I may or may not have understood? Seriously.
Hello; No assumption. Your reply was enough it and of itself. Do you get it yet?
Sponsored