Sponsored

Anyone else have this issue with their mobile phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
A long time ago, I contacted the staff here and proposed that exact idea. I would pay to not have to deal with all the ads. They were not interested
That seems a touch short sighted. I'd assume with a lower volume site like this, and the availability of ways to circumvent ad revenue, they'd be very open to it. Maybe they'd be interested in re-evaluating that in 2020, heck, XenForo has plugins to handle paid memberships, it wouldn't take much in terms of implementation.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That seems a touch short sighted. I'd assume with a lower volume site like this, and the availability of ways to circumvent ad revenue, they'd be very open to it. Maybe they'd be interested in re-evaluating that in 2020, heck, XenForo has plugins to handle paid memberships, it wouldn't take much in terms of implementation.
The amount of time I spend here, I still volunteer to contribute.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I just turned the phone on to its side and the ad that was blocking access to function went away

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
a new ad appears at the top of my browser on my mobile phone. I can't view alerts or PMs because they are blocked by the ad. See below.

Screenshot_20200714-205106_Chrome.jpg
Same. Was disappointed to see this... I only use this site on mobile. I have to hit the arrow to "minimize" the ad and risk clicking on it.

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
Same. Was disappointed to see this... I only use this site on mobile. I have to hit the arrow to "minimize" the ad and risk clicking on it.
I only use the mobile site on my iPhone too. The Purify app recommend above works perfect. The invasive slide down ad is now gone. Best $1.99 I’ve spent in a while.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Right, so iOS has a content blocker API, basically it means it allows you to use a 3rd party app, then enable access by that app in Safari (if you look in Settings >> Safari you'll see about in the middle there's a setting for Content Blockers). So grab a blocker, Purify, AdBlocker, the free options are all solid, then you'll enable it in that setting.

Look, I hate not providing the site owner revenue from ads, that's why I allow them on my desktop, but that can't be at the sacrifice of the user not being able to actually use the site.

Again, if they setup a membership option, I'd gladly pay (a reasonable price) for no ads to support the site.
This worked perfectly, thanks again for the advice. I picked the free Norton Add Blocker.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
you would think this is actually counter productive to revenue. before people were ok with it. now they have shoved so many ads that everyone is getting ad blockers. and now i would think their revenue will actually go down from having everything blocked. Ill never understand all these ads anyway does any one actually click the things?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
you would think this is actually counter productive to revenue. before people were ok with it. now they have shoved so many ads that everyone is getting ad blockers. and now i would think their revenue will actually go down from having everything blocked. Ill never understand all these ads anyway does any one actually click the things?
No, but they get paid for them.

I've said it all along, the sh#t storms that go on here do nothing but contribute to the bottom line.

I'm fine with that, they have to pay the bills. Why else keep the store open? However, there ought to be a happy medium. I shouldn't have to minimize ads to get to key functionality of the site.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I just got the Norton add blocker app and then enabled it through my iPhone settings.
Back to normal now!

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I dont see that available for android

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
No, but they get paid for them.

I've said it all along, the sh#t storms that go on here do nothing but contribute to the bottom line.

I'm fine with that, they have to pay the bills. Why else keep the store open? However, there ought to be a happy medium. I shouldn't have to minimize ads to get to key functionality of the site.
Thats what IM saying before there were ads and they weren't obtrusive so people did not block them and they made revenue. Now they started putting ads over stuff you need to use so now everyone is getting ad blockers so I suspect the revenue they were hoping to increase with this change will now infact cause them to loose revenue from everyone blocking the adds now.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I dont see that available for android
Maybe not. I have no idea.
Seems to work if you use a iPhone though.
Only took me like 1 minute.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.