Sponsored

Wireless phone charging pad for s550?

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Sync 4 is going to have wireless CarPlay and android auto so at this point I doubt ford will spend time and money to add it to the sync 3 system. It’ll be rare if we even get any updates now that sync 4 is coming out.

in my opinion wireless CarPlay should be reserved for newer cars with wireless charging pads built into them from the factory though as things like navigation will drain the battery.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Sync 4 is going to have wireless CarPlay and android auto so at this point I doubt ford will spend time and money to add it to the sync 3 system. It’ll be rare if we even get any updates now that sync 4 is coming out.

in my opinion wireless CarPlay should be reserved for newer cars with wireless charging pads built into them from the factory though as things like navigation will drain the battery.
In the original Sync 4 release announcement Ford said that only vehicles with the larger screens will have it. Hopefully that means Sync 3 will get updates for the foreseeable future.

In regards to CarPlay, why do we need to wait. Google Maps and Waze use battery power. Wireless charging pads are available too. No need for a factory pad. IMHO, I’d like to have it now.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
In the original Sync 4 release announcement Ford said that only vehicles with the larger screens will have it. Hopefully that means Sync 3 will get updates for the foreseeable future.

In regards to CarPlay, why do we need to wait. Google Maps and Waze use battery power. Wireless charging pads are available too. No need for a factory pad. IMHO, I’d like to have it now.
I really don’t see sync 3 sticking around more than another year or 2 it already feels dated to me at this point. We might not get sync 4 but there will probably be a much more powerful sync 3 unit coming with upgraded hardware for wireless CarPlay and other goodies.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Ugh, so the pad came today but it’s WAY too big. Does anyone know the dimensions of the center console interior? It’s a shame that it’s too big because the quality seems great otherwise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Does any company make a size that fits right under radio? in that little curved rectangle area? if I did indeed have a wireless charger there that would be pretty sweet.

not sure if that is the spot you are talking about spork.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Went with that too, but you're right, it's friggin huge. Kept it for home use.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Does any company make a size that fits right under radio? in that little curved rectangle area? if I did indeed have a wireless charger there that would be pretty sweet.

Looks like the new one Spork ordered will work in that spot. Barely larger than the phone itself.

If we get a thumbs up from a Spork I’m going to order one.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That’s the exact spot I’m talking about :)
I initially wasn’t looking for one that fit there because I figured I’d never find one that would fit :p

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the new one Spork ordered will work in that spot. Barely larger than the phone itself.

If we get a thumbs up from a Spork I’m going to order one.
same. I wouldn't mind just tossing my phone there, and having wireless CarPlay going all the time. in my other car I have zero difference that I can tell by ear between sound quality of wired/wireless CarPlay.

I have an iPhone SE. (iPhone 5) so I think it will fit there just fine with a charger and not move.

only issue I have with sporks charger is such a long cord! I wonder if it would be possible to cut it, and reduce its length 90% and just splice the wires back together.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
same. I wouldn't mind just tossing my phone there, and having wireless CarPlay going all the time. in my other car I have zero difference that I can tell by ear between sound quality of wired/wireless CarPlay.

I have an iPhone SE. (iPhone 5) so I think it will fit there just fine with a charger and not move.

only issue I have with sporks charger is such a long cord! I wonder if it would be possible to cut it, and reduce its length 90% and just splice the wires back together.
I’m actually glad it has a long wire: it will allow me to run it to and hide the wire in the center console. :)

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
I am circling back on the wireless carplay dongle. DO NOT BUY IT!!! IT IS JUNK!

I received it on Sat, Dec 14th. Between my order on Dec 3rd and receipt of the device, I received several emails from the merchant about firmware updates, etc. All technical stuff about getting the device to work. That made me nervous that I purchased this hoopty thing way too early in development. So once I received it, I tried it without doing the firmware update. It did not work, I could pair and activate but the display of the Sync3 was stuck on the dongle's connecting screen. That is the known issue in the emails I had received. I then proceeded to update the firmware per their instructions. No issues there. Re-attached the unit to Sync3 and I have the same issues, I can pair and activate but the screen is stuck on 'Connecting'. Music from my phone is playing over carplay while the connecting screen is shown. Google Maps and Waze function like they are not connected to carplay. I do get the Carplay prompt and screen on my phone but the Sync3 is stuck with there overriding screen. Carplay still works perfect via USB/Lightning cable.

Since Saturday, I have sent the merchant roughly 15 emails, at first asking questions but the last 10 have been twice a day, 'Have you received my emails?' email.... NO RESPONSE!

This morning I called AmEx, which I used to pay for it. They quickly 'suspended the charge' and opened a case with the merchant. The closure date on the case is Feb 7, 2020. By that date, the merchant can send me a new working unit and I have to verify with AmEx I have and it works. If by Feb 7, the merchant has not produced a working unit or voluntarily refunded the money, AmEx will make the chargeback official with the merchant. On the AmEx site I already see the charge removed from my balance. This is exactly why I use AmEx for most purchases, they protect their customers from this BS.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am circling back on the wireless carplay dongle. DO NOT BUY IT!!! IT IS JUNK!

I received it on Sat, Dec 14th. Between my order on Dec 3rd and receipt of the device, I received several emails from the merchant about firmware updates, etc. All technical stuff about getting the device to work. That made me nervous that I purchased this hoopty thing way too early in development. So once I received it, I tried it without doing the firmware update. It did not work, I could pair and activate but the display of the Sync3 was stuck on the dongle's connecting screen. That is the known issue in the emails I had received. I then proceeded to update the firmware per their instructions. No issues there. Re-attached the unit to Sync3 and I have the same issues, I can pair and activate but the screen is stuck on 'Connecting'. Music from my phone is playing over carplay while the connecting screen is shown. Google Maps and Waze function like they are not connected to carplay. I do get the Carplay prompt and screen on my phone but the Sync3 is stuck with there overriding screen. Carplay still works perfect via USB/Lightning cable.

Since Saturday, I have sent the merchant roughly 15 emails, at first asking questions but the last 10 have been twice a day, 'Have you received my emails?' email.... NO RESPONSE!

This morning I called AmEx, which I used to pay for it. They quickly 'suspended the charge' and opened a case with the merchant. The closure date on the case is Feb 7, 2020. By that date, the merchant can send me a new working unit and I have to verify with AmEx I have and it works. If by Feb 7, the merchant has not produced a working unit or voluntarily refunded the money, AmEx will make the chargeback official with the merchant. On the AmEx site I already see the charge removed from my balance. This is exactly why I use AmEx for most purchases, they protect their customers from this BS.
Thank you for the update! From what I was reading these things are SUPER finicky. One thing I read is to try not touching anything on Sync3 or your phone for 1-2-ish minutes after turning your car on. Worth a shot.

In regards to the wireless charging pad I ordered, USPS mixed up shipping labels and I received some odd dog toy thing. Seller reshipped on Monday and I should have it today/tomorrow.
Sponsored