Sponsored

Any Current Ecoboost Owners Test Driven the 2020 High Performance Ecoboost?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Customer appreciation day tomorrow and look what just came in. Time to see if it lives up to all this hype, not to mention a free hotdog. And, it's a manual too so I can compare it to my poor "gutless" V8. Highway mileage, according to the sticker is only 2 more than the GT (4 less than the regular 2.3 manual).

https://www.thoroughbredford.com/ne...0a0e0ae747b5717587e22e82.htm?searchDepth=4:20

Don't forget to ask about the $800 option, by Ford Performance...
Sponsored

AGM2018

I have indeed driven a 2020 EB HPP, albeit without the handling package. The active exhaust, in my opinion, has a nice tone to it. The car, which in all probability had 87 octane gasoline in the tank, felt a little quicker on the "seat of the pants" meter...but, it wasn't a dramatic "OMG! this is soooo fast!" difference. I drove a 19 EB PP immediately after the 20HPP test drive for a direct comparison. The new engine in the HPP benefits from revving higher, with no significantly noticeable decrease in acceleration as the revs climb to the engine's redline...I only got it to highway speed (65ish) but, it still had plenty "juice" left when I eased off the "fun pedal." I couldn't tell a real difference in the handling between the two cars in my ~15 minute or so test drive in each. The handling package, according to multiple reviews, makes a noticeable difference in handling. We will have ask Jake (a member on the forum with a shiny new 2020 EB HPP) how it handles.

I think, just my opinion mind you, if both cars had 91/93 octane gas and were broken in, the difference between the 19 EB PP and 20 EB HPP would be noticeable, especially towards the upper end of the engine's power band, where the 20 EB HPP's engine will, again, according to multiple reviews, continue to accelerate and not "Fall On Its Face" like the 19 EB PP does. With a tune, the 18-19 EB PP will (probably) be equal or close (or perhaps exceed), to the acceleration of the 20 EB HPP.

Those currently in the market to purchase an EB will have to make the decision if they desire to secure a great deal on 19 EB or if they want the new 20 EB, with the option (if they purchase the EB HPP trim level) of getting a new engine, with several improved and fortified engine components. If one may get a good deal on a 2020, I think the 2020 is a worthy upgrade over the 18-19 EB's. But, with great discounts on remaining 19 EB's, I completely understand why many people may forego purchasing a 20 EB. YMMV :) :)

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
See. I am interested myself, I don’t ever see the higher end power spectrum often. I pull hard onto highways etc, but mostly commuting driving is where I appreciate the low rpm torque. If they both would be similar then don’t think I’d be interested myself

wait til tuners start hitting this new engine though. I think j we might be pleasantly surprised

AGM2018

See. I am interested myself, I don’t ever see the higher end power spectrum often. I pull hard onto highways etc, but mostly commuting driving is where I appreciate the low rpm torque. If they both would be similar then don’t think I’d be interested myself

wait til tuners start hitting this new engine though. I think j we might be pleasantly surprised

Penguin,

I think they will both be "similar" but, the new 20 EB HPP's torque band/curve, according to Ford, is tuned to be 40% wider than the previous 2.3. So, in theory (time and road experience of drivers will truly tell) the low end torque curve of the new 20 EB HPP should be better/stronger and in turn, accelerate harder/quicker than the 18-19 EB. Again, this is all theory/conjecture until enthusiasts purchase enough 20 EB HPP's to report their real world driving experiences. And I agree with you on the aspect of what tuners will be able to achieve with this engine; I won't be surprised if they are able to "coax" 30-35 horsepower and 30-40 FT/LBS of torque from a "mild tune" on this engine.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Well, here's my honest review.

My sales guy let me and the wife take it, no questions asked. The miles to empty said 21 when we got in. You can't find 93 octane around here. Drove the approximate two miles to BP and put five gallons of 92 in the tank. I told my wife that this could be as fast or close to our GT just so I could get an honest opinion from her too.

To start off, I'll just say I'm not a fan of the active exhaust in any mode (but I am spoiled). To me, it would be better stealth and quiet.

The car is pretty strong all the way to redline, but the gearing seems really short. I tried three 0-60 pulls, but you have to shift to 3rd to keep it out of the red before you get to 60. The best I got was 5.5. In comparison, the best I've gotten in the GT is 4.7, but I can run 2nd gear out to almost 75. I didn't want to keep abusing it, so I didn't try anymore. With the stock rubber, I might get to 5.3, but it needs more than 265's for launching.

I don't think without a tune, it will get very close to a stock GT. My wife's comment after a couple runs to about 70 were, "I thought you said this was going to be as fast as our car." Obviously, there's at least a noticeable enough difference, so it just wasn't me.

Where this car really shines is in the handling. I took the same 35 mph ramp at 75 that I take in my car. It had just the slightest bit of understeer, but it was planted really well. You put 285's all around on this thing, and it would be right there with the GT PP2. The steering feedback was really really good. It just felt a little more predictable than the GT on 305's. Don't know if this could have been due somewhat to the tires or just the lighter front end. I'm sure the Sport Cup 2's would have made a difference, but I never drove my car on them.

Anyone who buys one of these will not be disappointed. It was a much more pleasurable driver than the '18 EB A10 convertible I drove. I wouldn't say with the M6 it was much faster, but the handling was at a completely different level. This car will be quick with the A10. With the A10 it will hold its own no doubt to an M6 GT. It's going to need some serious help to match the A10 GT.

To summarize, would I trade my GT PP2 for it? Not in a heartbeat. I'm just too old school and love me some V8 rumble. But, I could drive the HPP everyday and enjoy the hell out of it. But, if you're going to buy this car, the handling package is a must have option.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Well, here's my honest review.

My sales guy let me and the wife take it, no questions asked. The miles to empty said 21 when we got in. You can't find 93 octane around here. Drove the approximate two miles to BP and put five gallons of 92 in the tank. I told my wife that this could be as fast or close to our GT just so I could get an honest opinion from her too.

To start off, I'll just say I'm not a fan of the active exhaust in any mode (but I am spoiled). To me, it would be better stealth and quiet.

The car is pretty strong all the way to redline, but the gearing seems really short. I tried three 0-60 pulls, but you have to shift to 3rd to keep it out of the red before you get to 60. The best I got was 5.5. In comparison, the best I've gotten in the GT is 4.7, but I can run 2nd gear out to almost 75. I didn't want to keep abusing it, so I didn't try anymore. With the stock rubber, I might get to 5.3, but it needs more than 265's for launching.

I don't think without a tune, it will get very close to a stock GT. My wife's comment after a couple runs to about 70 were, "I thought you said this was going to be as fast as our car." Obviously, there's at least a noticeable enough difference, so it just wasn't me.

Where this car really shines is in the handling. I took the same 35 mph ramp at 75 that I take in my car. It had just the slightest bit of understeer, but it was planted really well. You put 285's all around on this thing, and it would be right there with the GT PP2. The steering feedback was really really good. It just felt a little more predictable than the GT on 305's. Don't know if this could have been due somewhat to the tires or just the lighter front end. I'm sure the Sport Cup 2's would have made a difference, but I never drove my car on them.

Anyone who buys one of these will not be disappointed. It was a much more pleasurable driver than the '18 EB A10 convertible I drove. I wouldn't say with the M6 it was much faster, but the handling was at a completely different level. This car will be quick with the A10. With the A10 it will hold its own no doubt to an M6 GT. It's going to need some serious help to match the A10 GT.

To summarize, would I trade my GT PP2 for it? Not in a heartbeat. I'm just too old school and love me some V8 rumble. But, I could drive the HPP everyday and enjoy the hell out of it. But, if you're going to buy this car, the handling package is a must have option.
Thank you. Great review. No one would expect a GT owner to buy one but I think Ford may get some import buyers to considering it.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I think that is a honest assessment.
Perhaps it was the free hotdogs? But do understand, He drives a PP2... and liked the handling and lightness of the front end. He just didn't like the power delivery, or the 0-60 pulls.

I don't expect the HPP to cause v8 owners to trade theirs in, but I do expect the high performance 2.3 to steal v8 sales. Specially after a few "tuned" HPPs do some drifts...

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Does anyone know of a 2.3 HIPO Ecoboost being run on a dragstrip ? I am thinking the 2.3 HIPO has closer to 350 horsepower than 330. I would like to see some timeslips from dragstrips for the 2.3 ecoboost 2020 Mustang. Chassis dyno numbers would be even better.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Based on what I'm reading, stock for stock, the HPP doesn't feel different than the non HPP ecoboost. Handling is better, but that is to be expected.

Doc69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger, 2020 HP Ecoboost in November
I’ll be getting one Dec 5th...I’ll let you know !
Regards

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Last edited:

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I have only owned V8 powered Mustangs ,but I may be one who will buy a Hi-PO 2.3 liter 4 Mustang. I think I could have a lot of fun driving the snot out of the Hi-PO 2.3 Ecoboost until I find an allocation for a GT500. The rear seat delete kit from Ford Performance will fit the Ecoboost. Removing the rear seat should be more noticeable on the Ecoboost than on the GT500 for increased performance.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I think a tuned HPP is more potent of a car, than a tuned GT.

Doc69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger, 2020 HP Ecoboost in November
The HPP is here, I pick it up today !
Regards

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Congratulations on your purchase. What color is it ? I looking forward to your impressions of it.
Sponsored