Sponsored

Parking Brake on or off everytime you park? And other things we do out of habit.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
This lady at the gym literally just takes off once she starts her car. Like damn, i wonder if she lets her car heat up in the mornings.
I do this.
The pile of junk should work like it is supposed to.
This isn't the 1960's..........
Sponsored

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I always turn off everything (radio, hvac, wiper, lights) before shutting the car off. Nothing more annoying than turning the car on and being surprised by the radio, or a blast from the air vents.

I don't think there is any point in letting it idle before shutting it off on a modern turbo car, and definitely not on a non-turbo, but what do I know.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You guys are worried about a tiny bit of strain on the transmission from a very slight slope when you are driving around a car with 460 hp that under throttle, puts a lot more strain on the transmission than a tiny slope? Also, no reason to run the car in the garage or wherever for 45 seconds when you're done driving it. And, unless it's a manual, no need to set the parking brake on a flat surface.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I like to do it in the off chance something fails even if its an auto.
In a MT car I use the E brake and leave it in gear(i have forgot to put it in gear on flat ground).
Dont really see a negative, and the positive is there for the 1 in a trillion chance i or the car fucks up, lol.

As far as warming the car up. Nah. 30 secs or so and take off, basically long enough to get settled. If you have to drive immediately, dont loose sleep over it, just keep it slow and smooth. Modern mass produced cars warm up better under load so long as your not doing a brake stand to rolling burnout leaving the driveway while its below freezing outside. As fun as that would be.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
And, unless it's a manual, no need to set the parking brake on a flat surface.
No need to set the p-brake on a flat surface even if it is a MT car. It's not going anywhere if you leave it in gear. Try pushing a MT car on flat ground with its transmission in 1st gear, clutch engaged, p-brake not applied and I think you'll understand.

Norm

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I do this.
The pile of junk should work like it is supposed to.
This isn't the 1960's..........
??
You should always start your car and wait for it to come down off idle, before driving it. (try it once)

Internal components operate differently, than when they are warm vs cold. It only takes about 20 seconds, for immediate surfaces to normalize and oil to be circulated. If you remote start walking up to it, by the time you get in and belt on/etc.. it will already come down off of starting idle, to running idle.

You can HEAR the engine, lull into a calm. That is called a cold start.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Decades of driving manuals, set the parking brake every time I parked, left cars with it set for weeks at a time, many of these cars saw a decent amount of track time (so they weren't just "garage queens"). Never had a single issue with a parking brake, no modification required, etc.

I think people are way overthinking this :D

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Auto..? What is a parking brake...?

Manual..? Always and every time...!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
??
You should always start your car and wait for it to come down off idle, before driving it. (try it once)

Internal components operate differently, than when they are warm vs cold. It only takes about 20 seconds, for immediate surfaces to normalize and oil to be circulated. If you remote start walking up to it, by the time you get in and belt on/etc.. it will already come down off of starting idle, to running idle.

You can HEAR the engine, lull into a calm. That is called a cold start.

Yeah, I used to occasionally go out to the garage, start my '16, come back in, let it sit for a few (or just sit in it till it warmed up a bit).

Now with the '19 I just remote start it (sometimes with my iPhone :D), so BTT I get to the car, it's had a nice warm up cycle.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hahaha, I did go through an initial phase of setting the parking brake in the '19 (A10) out of habit, I had some serious muscle memory developed for my stop process :D

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
With a Manual I always use the Parking break.

Never bother with a automatic and I've never had a auto transmission go bad and i'm older than dirt. I say BS to the whole idea of ruining your transmission if you don't use your parking brake.

Last edited:

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I've always used the parking brake. It's called the parking break. In an automatic if you don't use it you're relying on the transmission to keep you parked which is putting unnecessary wear on one of the most expensive parts of your car. That's why they give you a cheap parking break to use to take that pressure off of it. Use it people.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
We have a fork lift at work that will sound an alarm if you get off of the seat without setting the parking brake. I expect to see this on cars some time in the future.

That said, I've driven a lot of manual vehicles, mostly trucks, and almost always set the parking brake, but rarely on an automatic. Old habits are hard to break and I've been driving now for over 42 years.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
No need to set the p-brake on a flat surface even if it is a MT car. It's not going anywhere if you leave it in gear. Try pushing a MT car on flat ground with its transmission in 1st gear, clutch engaged, p-brake not applied and I think you'll understand.

Norm
I understand full well what you mean. But with all my MT cars, I've used the parking brake in lieu of leaving it in gear. Or if it was on a fairly steep decline/incline, I would leave it in 1st and use the parking brake as added insurance.
Sponsored