4pt harness for autocross

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Hey guys wanted to reach out for some advice. I am starting to get a little more aggressive when I go to events. This past weekend it felt like I was rolling all around the front seat and it was exhausting holding myself with the steering wheel. I started to think of a harness and if it might help secure me better. I see that American Muscle sells a bunch of them. I was eying the corbeau 4pt harness in blue, as there doesn't seem to be anything else available for the 18+

Since I have the standard ecoboost cloth seats, would a 4pt harness work with those? Would it help me and hold me in one spot better?

Now as much as I would love a recarro, I'm not small and can not fit in one. In fact I am not certain if there is a racing seat I could fit in. Also it's a DD and I like the stock seats for that, so I am not really looking to replace the seats at all. I do not use the rear seats for anything other than throwing my helmet or a jacket back there. No one sits back there. I do not do hpde and have no plans to in the near or distant future. Autox is cheaper and safer which I like. Is a 4pt harness right for me and will it help me?

I did search and most all of the info I found was for hpde so hoping some of the more avid autox'ers can chime in.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Schroth Quick Fit Pro and yer done.

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit#3317

I just installed one, helps if you have a rear seat delete but it's not a biggie. I found it helpful to clearance the trim panel on the driver's lap belt side. It also doesn't interfere with the functioning of the OEM seatbelt on the street including the pretensioner.

Without seat bolsters though you still might have a problem, all you can do is try it and see. I have Recaros so not sure what your results will be like.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

I just installed one, helps if you have a rear seat delete but it's not a biggie. I found it helpful to clearance the trim panel on the driver's lap belt side. It also doesn't interfere with the functioning of the OEM seatbelt on the street including the pretensioner.

Without seat bolsters though you still might have a problem, all you can do is try it and see. I have Recaros so not sure what your results will be like.
Hey thanks man. I just looked and realized they don't work for the 18+ mustangs or maybe vehicles in general. Did something change with the seatbelts in the 18's?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

This. I love mine. Makes an enormous difference even on the base seats. You can focus on steering and don't have to spend energy holding yourself in position. That also allows you to drive with 'light hands', which helps you be more precise.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I've used a 6 point G-force in my other car for autocross, a harness bar was needed for installation. Keep in mind that the used of a harness in a car without a roll bar or cage can be dangerous. The likelihood of a rollover at an autocross is insignificant but I would never use the harness on the street or on track. In the event of a rollover without other means of protection, your neck may be whe thing supporting the weight of the car.

Sponsored

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Hey thanks man. I just looked and realized they don't work for the 18+ mustangs or maybe vehicles in general. Did something change with the seatbelts in the 18's?
Another satisfied Schroth Quick Fit customer here. I use them for autocross and track days both; they're great, and made a huge difference for me since I didn't realize how much I was "helping" the car by leaning into turns, and sliding around in the seat on hot days.

Install on the 2018 is tricky because of the smaller seat belt buckles; you'll need a 2017 receptacle and have to replace the one in the back seat to get the Quick Fit to connect properly. Install isn't too bad; there are some helpful YouTube videos out there.

Posted by another forum member

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've used a 6 point G-force in my other car for autocross, a harness bar was needed for installation. Keep in mind that the used of a harness in a car without a roll bar or cage can be dangerous. The likelihood of a rollover at an autocross is insignificant but I would never use the harness on the street or on track. In the event of a rollover without other means of protection, your neck may be whe thing supporting the weight of the car.
I'm not sure how this would be any different than a factory 3 pt...

FWIW, MotoIQ review in an S197. Install is largely the same (easy) as are the benefits.
https://motoiq.com/tested-schroth-quick-fit-harnesses/4/

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure how this would be any different than a factory 3 pt...
A 3 point allows you to duck, or be forced, toward the center of the vehicle when the roof suddenly gets significantly lower. A harness keeps your torso in place and, without a roll bar or cage, your head is what keeps the roof in place. It's been a few years, but PCA-NNJR would not let you use a harness on track without a bar or cage, you'd get a reminder at tech inspection if you had a harness.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A 3 point allows you to duck, or be forced, toward the center of the vehicle when the roof suddenly gets significantly lower. A harness keeps your torso in place and, without a roll bar or cage, your head is what keeps the roof in place. It's been a few years, but PCA-NNJR would not let you use a harness on track without a bar or cage, you'd get a reminder at tech inspection if you had a harness.
Yeah, though really depends on if the tensioner is loose on the 3 pt.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That tensioner would need to be pretty tight to restrain the "other" shoulder, no?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That tensioner would need to be pretty tight to restrain the "other" shoulder, no?
Yeah I suppose. For an autocrosser this thing is perfect. It has given me a dramatic improvement. Now I just need some recaros to make it even better.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I suppose. For an autocrosser this thing is perfect. It has given me a dramatic improvement. Now I just need some recaros to make it even better.
LOL, I understand completely, I've cranked myself down tight for autocross and it absolutely helped. That was with a nice fitting seat, I'd have to lose quite a few pounds to fit in a Recaro these days.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, I understand completely, I've cranked myself down tight for autocross and it absolutely helped. That was with a nice fitting seat, I'd have to lose quite a few pounds to fit in a Recaro these days.
I fit...just not excited about dropping the $1500-2000 on seats...

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Good advice, thanks man. Ya I was wondering about that too. I have no intentions for hpde at this time and just wanted to use them for autox since I slide everywhere. I looked at what it takes to throw in a roll bar. Its a little more involved than I am willing to do at this point.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Another satisfied Schroth Quick Fit customer here. I use them for autocross and track days both; they're great, and made a huge difference for me since I didn't realize how much I was "helping" the car by leaning into turns, and sliding around in the seat on hot days.

Install on the 2018 is tricky because of the smaller seat belt buckles; you'll need a 2017 receptacle and have to replace the one in the back seat to get the Quick Fit to connect properly. Install isn't too bad; there are some helpful YouTube videos out there.

Posted by another forum member
Any links to the 17 buckle? Is it an easy swap?
Sponsored