Performance Blue at Chicago Auto Show

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
Well, I know how I I will be ordering mine. I do wish they would bring back Avalanche Gray though, or something similar to Porsche's Chalk color.
My raptor is avalanche grey. Wish they’d offer it for the GT500. It’s a great color.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My pictures from seeing it today. Those brakes are unbelievably huge. As are the exhaust tips (my entire fist fit inside...)
0211191022b.jpg
0211191022a_20190211190451975.jpg

speedrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Thanks for posting, I wonder what will change from this "prototype version" and the production version?

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Why is the passenger side part of the main grill closed? Or it appears to be? With all the coolers and hood vent i would think you would want as much airflow as possible? Why would it be blocked?
gt500 grill.JPG

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Can anyone tell where the air for the coolers on either side below the fogs exits? Does it just dump into the wheel well? Turn into an air curtain? I hope all that positive pressure isn't just going into the wheel well, especially since there are NO vents above or behind on the fender.

Sponsored

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Why is the passenger side part of the main grill closed? Or it appears to be? With all the coolers and hood vent i would think you would want as much airflow as possible? Why would it be blocked?
gt500 grill.JPG
The drivers side is open for the airbox feed. The passenger side is closed because you dont want as much air as possible in there. Any additional, non-necessary air for cooling is just building pressure under the hood, causing lift on the front end, causing the hood to lift up at high speeds. They only want what air is necessary for cooling and no more.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The drivers side is open for the airbox feed. The passenger side is closed because you dont want as much air as possible in there. Any additional, non-necessary air for cooling is just building pressure under the hood, causing lift on the front end, causing the hood to lift up at high speeds. They only want what air is necessary for cooling and no more.
Yeah, there's definitely an engineering rationale, but that visual asymmetry does make me nuts, I hated it on my GT before I hacked out the front grill :D

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
That caliper clearance is bad for a street car. On track it is going to be far worse. One piece of rubber from the track will fill that gap and the clear coat at the very least is gone.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Yeah that is probably correct. I assume there is logical engineering behind it but asthetically I don't like it. And for my purpose, driving around town, occasional 1/4 mile run the extra airflow I assume would be more beneficial.

On a side note where is that air going when it hits a brick wall? Wouldn't the next logical place be to the opening next to it? So doesn't the air (to some degree) get pushed through the opening anyway?

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I was at the show Saturday morning when it opened and sadly the GT500 was not there. They only had the Bullit and the heritage GT and a few regular Mustangs. I even asked and they said no it wasn't at this show. They must have displayed it for the charity event then shipped it out before the show opened. They did have the 400hp Explorer there. Gorgeous.

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
That caliper clearance is bad for a street car. On track it is going to be far worse. One piece of rubber from the track will fill that gap and the clear coat at the very least is gone.
Lol, been there done that. I'd be less worried about rubber. The real worry is rocks/pebbles. Many times have I had pebbles jump into the wheel area and lodge themselves between brake calipers and inner wheel barrels. I once had a large enough pebbled jump up, into the wheel area and find its way between the wheel's inner lip and the strut/knuckle area and gouge the shit out of a wheel (close wheel-to-strut clearance).

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup. You want to direct as much airflow [as needed] to the area in need (and than make sure it is exhausted enough per application req). In this case, to the heat exchangers. What you dont want is air just going all over the place creating drag and front-end lift.

Simple answer: Because efficient airflow management.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can anyone tell where the air for the coolers on either side below the fogs exits? Does it just dump into the wheel well? Turn into an air curtain? I hope all that positive pressure isn't just going into the wheel well, especially since there are NO vents above or behind on the fender.
The wheel well has vented liners. The air coming into the side heat exchangers exits into the wheel well via these liner vents. There are no fender vents other than that, from what I saw on the car,. Obviously nothing like the GT350. So, I assume they just deal with the turbulence and pressure... There aren't even fascia side curtains to help pull the wheel well air out and around the side of the car - just the vented side-skirts.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Mrs. Muligan and I attended the First Look for Charity at the Chicago Auto Show last night - a black-tie affair that provides an opportunity to attend the show the night before it opens to the public.
Damnit! How did you get tickets? I had a friend that was going to try and get an extra for me but she couldn't make it work.
Sponsored