2018 Mustang GT Wont Run

mmacoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550
did you disconnect maf by mistake or pinch a wire? make sure its that????.. car possible have a bad ground on the battery?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
did you disconnect maf by mistake or pinch a wire? make sure its that????.. car possible have a bad ground on the battery?
I actually had the intercooler off the car so yes, I did have the MAF unplugged but I've now triple checked and its securely plugged in. Not sure on the battery. It cranks fine. Just won't run and the dash is going crazy. Hoping that once Rob gets me my stock tune to load, I can reload the PBD tune and it will be resolved. Fingers crossed.

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
You probably had to email him your stock tune to start. Do you have it in your sent folder?

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I actually had the intercooler off the car so yes, I did have the MAF unplugged but I've now triple checked and its securely plugged in. Not sure on the battery. It cranks fine. Just won't run and the dash is going crazy. Hoping that once Rob gets me my stock tune to load, I can reload the PBD tune and it will be resolved. Fingers crossed.
Do you have a loose hose clamp or connection? It could be unmetered air getting in.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Just pulled the battery and took it down to be tested O'Rieleys. Confirmed bad cell. Pretty sad for a car with 4,500 miles. It should be under warranty from Ford, so I'll go scoop one up tomorrow when the parts department re-opens. Thanks to Brent Davis for the tip. Really hoping this is my issue!

OP
OP

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Quick update: I replaced the battery and the dash returned to normal immediately. Rob at PBD sent me my stock file and it loaded perfectly. Started the car, and it barely ran. Long story short, if you have a Procharger and decide to weld a BOV to the intercooler tank, DONT! I assumed incorrectly that as long as it was on the "hot side" of the IC, it would have no affect on the MAF on the cold side tank. I was wrong. A huge thanks to our friendly neighborhood ProChargerTech for diagnosing the problem, and to Rob at PBD for his help and patience! Now time to pull this thing apart again and move the BOV to the charge tube between the blower and IC.

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Goodness. Glad it's coming together. Sorry about the BOV relo. I wouldnt have thought it would matter.

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
Just pulled the battery and took it down to be tested O'Rieleys. Confirmed bad cell. Pretty sad for a car with 4,500 miles. It should be under warranty from Ford, so I'll go scoop one up tomorrow when the parts department re-opens. Thanks to Brent Davis for the tip. Really hoping this is my issue!
Wow man, glad to be able to share my experience as well. My car did the same exact thing as yours especially when you said the dash was acting all crazy. My battery was under warranty and they replaced free of charges. Funny thing is you wouldn't think it's the battery especially that it starts up just fine and all that BUT it indeed was my battery as it was your too.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Quick update: I replaced the battery and the dash returned to normal immediately. Rob at PBD sent me my stock file and it loaded perfectly. Started the car, and it barely ran. Long story short, if you have a Procharger and decide to weld a BOV to the intercooler tank, DONT! I assumed incorrectly that as long as it was on the "hot side" of the IC, it would have no affect on the MAF on the cold side tank. I was wrong. A huge thanks to our friendly neighborhood ProChargerTech for diagnosing the problem, and to Rob at PBD for his help and patience! Now time to pull this thing apart again and move the BOV to the charge tube between the blower and IC.
Ouch. A wastegate can be put on the hot side end tank but not a BOV unless you move the MAF to the cold pipe after the intercooler (GT350 Procharger style). Different tuners have different opinions on this, but it can be done.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Yeah, That's a lesson learned for sure. So, back to the drawing board. Have to plug the hole in the IC tank and figure out where on the charge tube after the blower to mount the BOV. Honestly i'm just happy there's not an issue with the ECM or something else more expensive. One of these days I'll get to try out the new methanol system!

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I just battled loading a tune revision from the tuner. Initial attempt to load failed. Was getting the eror taht the X4 needed to be updated. Sooooooooooo...Had to software update the X4 which required flashing the car back to stock before hand. Finally got that all resolved and was ready. I checked the batt voltage before loading and saw it was at 11.8VDC (its been cold here and the car has sat a while) so I got out the charger and hooked it up and loaded the tune just to be safe. Tune loaded fine. Had to relearn crank trigger (P0315) which is not uncommon on these S550's according to multiple speed shops locally. Drove the car and the issues the tune was to address were worse rather than better. So reloaded the previous tune and got a failure forcing me to reflash the car again to factory. Don't know if it was due to sagging voltage, or that the previous tune was corrupted while doing the X4 software update. I set the car back to the factory tune again. that was my only option on the X4. that all went fine. I decided to try the previous loaded tune again. To be cautious I hooked the charger back up, AND blew both tune revisions out of the X4, and then reloaded them both back on the X4 and reloaded the again and this time the tune loaded clean and with no P0315 or relearn. Drove the car and its now back to where it was before trying to get better drive ability on shifting flare issues/firmness at light - mod throttle, decel fuel cut off active, and a more manageable idle closer to 750 in Drive.

DAG! I miss the simplicity of my 2014! That car tuned and loaded tunes like a dream. All of this updating and reloading and relearning is making an old man out of me. So I'm taking it to the my local tuner who works closely with the people tuning it to work the drive issues out. Then all I have to do is enjoy it or decide to sell it and buy down to a 14 again...........or heck maybe I will just buy a vette or a challenger. I'm getting too old for all of this modification stuff.

OP
OP

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Finally got the car put back together this afternoon. For the first time since I bought the car, the dash battery voltage is reading over 14V. The car used to only read approx 13.5v prior to this cluster F**k. In fact, I had previously taken my car to the dealer because I was suspicious of a charging/battery issue. They said my dash voltage was normal and everything checked out fine so I didn't think much of it. Fast forward to today and the car runs flawlessly. Literally better than it has ever ran since installing the supercharger. I honestly think the bad cell in my battery was causing all kinds of havoc with the car, including the tune. I'm using the same file as before, except now the transmissions is behaving pretty much like stock without all the little quirks that drove me (and Rob Shoemaker) nuts. I'm smiling ear to ear, but at the same time frustrated that the dealer failed to diagnose such a simple problem.
The meth system is installed and ready to test as well. I'm going to pick up some M1 next week and see how it goes. Again, thanks much to Brent Davis for the tip on checking the battery! I don't think my dealer would have ever figured it out since the car cranked normally.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
^^^ Is the voltage reading you are referencing with the car running or with the key on engine off?