Another 9 second Hellion car/ now with “predator” 5.2/GT 350 heads

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
So Hellion did get back to me and gave me a quote for an air to water intercooler.It is not cheap even with a discount and free shipping but it may be worth it.

I already have an external pump but I would still need to get a trunk mount ice tank and fittings .it was a hassle figuring out all the fittings I needed when I did the ice tank on my KB car but it looks like these guys have a tank you can order with all the right fittings and hoses .
https://pnrwelding.net/ice-tanks/fu...h-gt500-half-moon-shaped-tanks-choose-options

I may try a grill delete first but I am not a fan of the way it makes the cars look.
Sponsored

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Could go old school and get one of the co2 intercooler spray bars lol. If you still have the stock grill that is definitely covering up a fair amount of your intercooler. I ran a 10.2 @140 a few weeks ago and my iat went from 90 to 109. This is with no grill and a boost works 4.5" intercooler.
Taking a close look at my grill I don’t really see how the delete is going to get more flow to the intercooler as most of it is blocked by the bumper .
I am leaning toward a methanol kit but I also came across this .
http://designengineering.com/intercooler-sprayer-kit/
I can get it for $400 from amazon so it would be the next cheapest option to a grill delete (other than waiting for cooler fall air . Lol)

I am still considering a methanol injection kit and have had great advice from several forum members .Most are recommending the alkyl injection kit by Julio but I like that SNOW makes a “direct fit” kit for the 15-17 mustang .
There also seems to contradicting information on whether you need a tune or not.
I have read on here that you just have to watch your STFT to make sure the tune is pulling fuel if needed .
Some local guy scared me by saying he had seen motors spraying methanol “hydrolock “

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
May be some will sell the “ultimate” cooling mod pack .
that contains all below .

1. Killer chiller
2. Air to water intercooler/7 gallon ice tank with EWP external pump .
3. Spray meth
4. Co2
5. Grill delete
I may start with # 5 and work my way down(or up ) the list . Lol

amg1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Probably better to just get the water to air intercooler

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably better to just get the water to air intercooler
I know but its expensive( at least $2300 in all not including labor) and I am afraid it will "heat soak" once the water gets warm.
Right now staying out of boost on the street it says about 3 degrees above ambient . It will rise a bit in boost but recovers quickly since I am not at WOT/peakboost for sustained period(like I would at the strip)-
I spoke to Julio at alkyl control and he convinced me that the methanol kit would be just right for what I need it to do.
I will be doing 50/50 since its only to keep temps down. My tuner says we will need to get some logs on the street to make sure its fine before the strip.
I have also been having issues with my MSD 2 step blowing an ECU fuse, I tried a different box first and same thing so I assume its the harness.
Next time the car is in the shop ( the 18 is in now getting the whipple treatment) I hope to have the Aerospace brakes/alkyl kit and 2 step sorted out in time for cooler weather .I think my ET R's are also done (last time out was spin city) so the ET pros on 15 wheels will come in handy

Sponsored

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Friend is running meth on his hellion kit and it drastically reduced IAT's. No tune.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
The air/water's are strictly for track use. Within minutes the ice will melt, and the water will just circulate warm water.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tell me about it .... I have an ice tank in my KB car.
I wonder if you can run an ice tank with a killer chiller?

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Could always convert the car to alcohol:rockon:, then drop the intercooler all together! Drop weight and pick up a good bit of power and not have to worry about iat's.

P.S. that was 97% a joke. I don't know of a single coyote on alcohol. Would take a massive fuel system to support, and street driving would be damn near impossible.

Rlhay2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper
Pretty cool that Hellion is monitoring this thread!

My preference for a street car is the biggest A/A that will fit!
Methanol will lower the IAT temps and add some knock resistance. Almost redundant with E85 though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alkyl kit is installed .
I also installed aerospace front street brakes which should drop some weight . They are pretty . We had problems Installing the double caliper rears and have to send the brackets back as they forgot to countersink the holes for the bolts but they have been great in taking care of me

So for now stil running stock rear brakes and 17 ET R’s . The last time out they were spinning but I may not have got them hot enough as the lines are still deep
I was going to run brand new 15 ET pros with the double brakes which may hold the car at a higher rpm on the 2 step and build more boost .
I also had to change the harness of the 2 step as the old one kept blowing an ECU fuse (swapped the MSD box and same thing was happening) Hoping that fixes the issue but i have several spare fuses just in case ( car won’t start when the fuse blows) .
I may get a chance to “tune” the alkyl kit tomorrow.
It will be in the 70’s but I plan to turn up the boost by 1-2 psi . .
This track typicaly is not strict regarding safety gear so I should get a few passes .

Last edited:

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Alkyl kit is installed .
I also installed aerospace front street brakes which should drop some weight . They are pretty . We had problems Installing the double caliper rears and have to send the brackets back as they forgot to countersink the holes for the bolts but they have been great in taking care of me

So for now stil running stock rear brakes and 17 ET R’s . The last time out they were spinning but I may not have got them hot enough as the lines are still deep
I was going to run brand new 15 ET pros with the double brakes which may hold the car at a higher rpm on the 2 step and build more boost .
I also had to change the harness of the 2 step as the old one kept blowing an ECU fuse (swapped the MSD box and same thing was happening) Hoping that fixes the issue but i have several spare fuses just in case ( car won’t start when the fuse blows) .
I may get a chance to “tune” the alkyl kit tomorrow.
It will be in the 70’s but I plan to turn up the boost by 1-2 psi . .
This track typicaly is not strict regarding safety gear so I should get a few passes .
Ordered a vaccum pump setup from Aerospace for my fox a while back. Crank mandrel bolt pattern was drilled off center. They whipped me up a new one and incorporated a male register to fit my SFI balancer and omitted the integrated v-pulley. They had the new customized unit back to me in a few days. Their QC process needs work, but they will make it right and do it quickly!

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally got to make a pass with the methanol kit to try and tune it .Also had the front aerospace brakes installed but still waiting on a bracket for the “double “ rears.
I got a tip on initial setting from a fellow member who also has the alkyl kit on his Hellion car .

I had made a few hits on the street but nothing longer than 4-5 seconds before hitting the rev limiter or doing insane speeds. Fuel on the logs looked fine without the tune making any changes .Temps would start of in the 90’s and hit at most 115.

It was hot yesterday with ambient temps in the mid 90’s(DA was 3000 ft.) so I thought I could not have a better day to find out if my IAT’s would stay down and the tune not pull timing.
I decided to risk the 100 mile drive. I usually never go this far in this car due to potential tow cost home.(pretty comfortable driving the 18/whipple the distance as I did the day before)

The brakes will now only hold the 2 step at 3000 on the lowest boost (16 psi )setting but not higher as it pushes through . May be with the double pistons rears it will .
I had also thought the ET R’s were done (was spinning the last time out ) but they seemed to hook after a very long burn out .
It definitely felt stronger than I remember on the back end and it was pulling all the way
The methanol activation light came on(hard to tell when but it’s set up to come on at 8 psi based on buddy’s set up ) Unfortunately the OBD seems to have quite reading during the pass and the data log was just just noise .it won’t read any data now .
I did look at the IAT in the OEM gauge and it looked like 115 at the end of the pass .
That’s the fastest 1/8 and trap speed to date ....in 3000 ft DA on the lowest boost setting . It’s gome 151 mph on 1 psi higher in cooler weather/lighter front wheel/tire- 17x4.5 race stars/phoenix bias ply . Since I was driving a 100 miles I had 17x7 race stars/street radials on. I did loose some weight from the brakes so that might be a wash.

I had some bad luck on my way back(after celebrating that I was driving home .lol) . I had not aired up the tires and caught the exhaust/cutout on some road imperfection . Pulled the midpipe off the down pipe . Midpipe is banged up real bad and flattened at one point .
I was able to limp it back 100 miles but I think I am deaf now !
That midpipe with the cutouts were too low and I really should have replaced it as it was hitting the transmission cross memenber anyway .
It looks like the damaged part may be part of the Hellion pipes so going to see if I can get a replacement of have my exhaust guy come up with something.
403ED0FE-3D7C-42A2-9435-9872DE55B56C.jpeg
F2D89466-7E96-4A75-8DF3-BBA0E63E0870.jpeg
CB320020-14B5-462D-AA67-6716D5F9B086.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rear brakes are done but supplied lines not long enough because of the T for the double calipers so another wait .
Look good though.
The 15 inch wheels with the ET pros I had planned don’t look like they will fit without grinding on the calipers .
I am hoping the double calipers will help to build some boost . This is my last resort as I want to avoid a transbrake .
Also thinking of just dropping the cat back and running “open header style “ instead of the cutouts on my next trip to the strip .
My stock cat back is all “modified” with resonators at various points and I don’t think I can sell the car like that so I will be doing the bassani 3 inch pipe when I am done racing .
8E4AA3E2-CEDE-4A40-96B5-2EC80D52FDA1.jpeg

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Is that the drivers side or passenger side of the car ?
Sponsored