Sponsored

Sensor failings. You could have one too!

OP
OP
Blyman93

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
FWIW, the 18s are different from the 15-17 cars PCM wise and that's what's taking Cobb and some of the others longer to release their software. To my understanding, it was like starting over new. I'm curious as to whether Ford did anything different within the new calibrations to account for the failure. I'm going to try to do some digging on that and see what I can find out. When/if I do, I'll make sure to update everyone on here.
This guy and this quote are what this forum needs. Not the back and forth attacking various ideas or methods. When addressing the most important issue for us Ecos, "the boom" and possibly having a major solution, we should employ humble attitudes willing to find data by any means. One way isn't better than another if it's truly to help.

I wish I had the talent and knowledge some of you guys have to be able to contribute like this lol
Sponsored

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Ordered my sensor from eBay a few days ago. Didn't even look at my stock one to see if it's the old one. Nor did I try to monitor it to see if it's on its way out. Cheap piece of mind.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
[MENTION=27727]Marvinmadman[/MENTION] can you share the link? Thanks

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Thanx. I am checking because shipping in Europe costs at least as much as the sensor itself and I thought I could get a better shipping quote from another vendor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I have numerous friends that are employed within various positions at Ford: Engineers, FSEs, Master Techs, Assembly Technicians, etc. I try not to go into specifics, especially online, because I'm not going to risk telling too much and getting someone into trouble for giving me information that's considered confidential by Ford.
I appreciate your discretion.

Hope? Don't take things so literally. We have mounting evidence that if/when the older sensors fail that they cause a disasterous set of operating conditions.
Respectfully, what we have is a few posts on an online forum. I don't know you, which is why I'm asking about who you're getting your information from at Ford. I'm a skeptic by nature, so before I act I like to have hard data, or at the very least a directive or recommendation from an authoritative source. I don't view anonymous posters on an online forum as authoritative. Forums are great for getting people's opinions, but I'm not willing to replace critical engine parts based on opinion--especially when the engine is functioning properly.

If you have the old sensor and a way to monitor it while having no desire to spend money, then don't replace it. It's as simple as that.
It's not a matter of money. As you note, although this is an inexpensive part it serves a critical function.

I'm trying to help. I have nothing to gain or lose by sharing what I know other than to potentially help others avoid a big catastrophe.
And I appreciate your willingness to help. I don't believe I ever accused you of an ulterior motive, but I apologize if I've given you that impression. Obviously, I'm a data-driven kind of guy. I've been burned too many times by technicians replacing functioning engine components to "fix" a problem they don't fully understand. I just think we should make decisions about engine maintenance based on knowledge and data rather than hope and fear.

I'll attempt some inquiries with Ford and see what I come up with.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I'm data driven too. That's why I went to the trouble to retrieve my old sensor and test it. Multiple tuners have posted datalogs of exactly what happens when the sensor fails. I have my datalogs of what happens when the sensor fails showing both the hpfp dropping pressure and the car leaning out. What other data source is required when you have the data from the actual car itself?

I understand people wanting hard data. I don't act on opinions either, but I guess I fail to understand what more people want. We aren't going to get a letterhead from Ford confirming the issue, so all we have is what we've acquired. I can trust the evidence and data of what I've seen. Others can choose as they please. No hard feelings.

I don't mean that to sound harsh or like I'm being rude, but I just don't know what more people want. If the people tuning your car cannot be trusted, then why is anyone letting them?

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I'm data driven too. That's why I went to the trouble to retrieve my old sensor and test it.
That works for you. Again, I don't know anything about you or your qualifications.

Multiple tuners have posted datalogs...
You mean the tuners who have a vested interest in explaining why their tuning work didn't cause the multiple EcoBooms their customers have experienced?

I don't mean that to sound harsh or like I'm being rude, but I just don't know what more people want. If the people tuning your car cannot be trusted, then why is anyone letting them?
No worries, dude, I stopped being offended by internet comments a long time ago. I believe this very much is a difference in philosophy. From my persepective the overwhelming majority of EcoBooms have occurred on cars with aftermarket tunes, which tells me there are a lot of people out there who don't fully understand what they're doing with these engines.

I believe the relatively few EcoBooms on untuned engines can be explained by typical manufacturing defect rates and the fact the engine is producing 300+ horsepower with relatively little displacement. In other words, the EcoBoost Mustang already lives on the ragged edge and is intolerant of the kind of manufacturing defect which on a typical engine would result in a simple repair rather than puking parts onto the road.

Also, while I maintain what I consider to be a healthy wariness of all with whom I do business, I don't believe in the myth of the evil corporation out to screw over its customers. Corporations don't remain in business when they don't treat their customers fairly (unless they have a really good Washington lobbying arm, but that's a different subject). Has Ford treated some of its customers unfairly? Probably. That's why I maintain the wariness. But I believe Ford must be doing something right with the majority of its customers, otherwise it wouldn't still be selling cars & trucks.

Ford took a tremendous risk with the EcoBoost engine in its iconic muscle car, and it has a vested interest in ensuring its engines DON'T explode. The Mustang is the only car Ford will manufacture starting in 2020, and the longevity/durability of the EcoBoost engines installed in these early cars will play a big role in keeping the model viable down the line. It seems to me if Ford knew of an issue with these sensors it would be a no-brainer to issue a recall for the very reasons you are suggesting everyone replace theirs: it's cheap and easy to do.

The bottom line for me is my engine is still under warranty, and I'm simply not willing to jeopardize it mucking about under the hood--especially when it's properly functioning, and ESPECIALLY when the engine is so obviously intolerant of technical mistakes by those who work on it. I believe your advice is more appropriate for those already out of warranty, or those who believe their servicing dealership is forgiving enough to overlook engine modifications (or those who don't care about the integrity of any remaining warranty).

I'll post whatever I find out from my inquiries, and I encourage anyone else concerned about this issue to contact Ford as well. If enough people ask questions it might encourage Ford to act.

ecoboosting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Ecoboost PP
thanks for sharing this Justin! going after work to pick up a sensor from ford today.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone following this with a UK/Export-model stang, I've got a 2016 EBM (RHD) it had the "old" sensor. I've bought the new one and i'll report back when it arrives (next week) - $42 all in (Inclusive of shipping and taxes).

FWIW - My current one wasn't failing, wasn't even close to it actually. never broke over 90psi (only when letting off after wot it spiked to 109, and lowed at 45)

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
My car is a 2017 EU spec EcoBoost. My sensor was not failing either, but it was the old type and I acted proactively by ordering the new version. $23 (20 euros) was all I paid, because I sent it to a friend of mine in the US who is coming to Europe in June. It's very easy to replace, so there is no second thoughts here. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for this thread [MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION].

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
man screwing mine out totally chewed away the threads! it was completely bound and there was no going back, hopefully I can get a new fuel line fast..
used the 12mm and the 24mm as instructed.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
man screwing mine out totally chewed away the threads! it was completely bound and there was no going back, hopefully I can get a new fuel line fast..
used the 12mm and the 24mm as instructed.
Part number for the line?

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I am under the understanding that it is part # 9J280A