Sponsored

GT Fastback or GT Convertible? Putting deposit down tomorrow... CANNOT DECIDE!

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
it was too humid in the summer and too cold in the winter..
100% tell you this is not an issue with the 2015+ verts... I've been in single digits and could not tell.

Anyway... this is my first vert and my next car will be a vert as well.

They do get too hot during the summer months... this summer I have a goal to leave mine up more than I have in the past so I don't cook my skin. Maybe put the top up at 85 degrees vs. 91 degrees previous summers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Okay, Iā€™ve realized that this is what will influence my decision the most: the 0-60 difference. If the Vert is like 0.2-0.3 sec slower, eh, I probably wonā€™t notice it... but, if itā€™s 0.5 or higher, thatā€™s where it becomes an issue/noticeable in my opinion. The issue is that I really cannot seem to find any reliable 0-60 times for the 2018 GT Vert. :frusty:

BTW - Sales guy text me, asked if we could reschedule for Tuesday morning... so I have more time to decide! :cheers:

Last edited:

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
a DD in NJ means you get to use the top down for no more than 6 months out of the year...while it looks good topless, not a fan of the looks with the top up. My vote is Fastback. Timeless.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, Iā€™ve realized that this is what will influence my decision the most: the 0-60 difference. If the Vert is like 0.2-0.3 sec slower, eh, I probably wonā€™t notice it... but, if itā€™s 0.5 or higher, thatā€™s where it becomes an issue/noticeable in my opinion. The issue is that I really cannot seem to find any reliable 0-60 times for the 2018 GT Vert. :frusty:

BTW - Sales guy text me, asked if we could reschedule for Tuesday morning... so I have more time to decide! :cheers:
You shouldn't base the 0-60 time for your decision on a vert, IMO. If you care about it so much, get an auto.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Depends on what you will use it for and how long you will keep it. I would do a convertible for a weekend/nice day car - especially if you won't keep it forever. Hardtop for a daily driver, long term car. Hardtop if you want to do any type of high performance driving events.

Sponsored

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
The Stingray vert lines look good. I don't like how the Mustang vert looks. The coupe looks much nicer, that's my 2 cents

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
My ā€˜08 is a convertible...and I enjoy driving it.
However, when you cannot avoid driving by the landscaperā€™s mower as he blows grass, dust, dirt and who knows what into your interior, eyes and lungs or the big rig belching diesel exhaust into your face; you begin to question the need for a top down, wind in your hair experience.
In the Summer, the guy driving with his top down in the blazing sun and heat...he must be having a great time right?
Uh no, not really, heā€™s really getting a good sunburn and sweating is ass off...but the experience looks memorable.
I know, Iā€™ve been that guy.

The ā€˜16 is Fastback, and as another member stated; the Fastback looks better.
Anyone who desires owning a convertible should do it once during their life.
With all that said, the ā€˜08 will my be my first and last drop top.
The Southern heat is absolute hell in the summertime with a vert. I've owned 2 convertible mustangs....I won't own another. I was always concerned about people stealing shit. Always concerned about staining the top. Heaven forbid you keep it past 10 years....replacement tops are not cheap!

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
get the fastback and with the cost difference buy a nice used motorcycle. you want open air fun there it is in spades!

Sponsored

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I like convertibles but the ones I really love are usually roadsters. I'd have the top down on my S2000 all through the dry Florida "winters" and then put the hardtop back on for the summer/rainy season.

My thing with convertibles is I hate how they look with the top up, unless the car is designed solely as a convertible/roadster (S2000, Miata, Z8 etc). The aesthetics on convertibles that are based off of coupes just looks off to me IMO.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
You shouldn't base the 0-60 time for your decision on a vert, IMO. If you care about it so much, get an auto.
I... am getting an auto... itā€™s in the OP... :crazy:
And, as already stated, I feel as though the ~4 sec to 60 is roughly perfect for a daily, however, a .2-ish difference is fine, but a .5+ is more than noticeable and puts me at the same as my current 2016, which I feel is almost fast enough but not quite. ā€œRecoveringā€ .2 seconds via mods wouldnā€™t be much of a challenge, a half second or more, though, means Iā€™d likely have to boost.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Why rant???? We like what we like. My vert is a weekend car....That's what I wanted. Worked out great for me. My DD is an F150. Never gonna change that:thumbsup:

I think a better analogy would be there are coupe drivers and there are vert drivers....:cheers:
Yeah, when I had my convertible I had the same F-150 daily driver / Mustang Vert weekend combo. I parked in garage 90% of the time, so I didn't notice the extra heat of the black soft top most of the time.

One of the nice things about the convertible is getting in & out of the backseat with the top down... no roof to duck under. So when we had a family outing with wife & 2 kids, the roof would be down just so we could get in & out of the car easily.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Iā€™ll just post the same thing I always do: either youā€™re a convertible person and thereā€™s no substitute or youā€™re not (so donā€™t buy one)
A good way to put it.

I would say I'm not a convertible person by your definition, but I love my '70 convertible. It's great when the temperature is right, I'm not driving too far on the highway, etc. I don't really want another convertible as a daily, though.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I... am getting an auto... itā€™s in the OP... :crazy:
And, as already stated, I feel as though the ~4 sec to 60 is roughly perfect for a daily, however, a .2-ish difference is fine, but a .5+ is more than noticeable and puts me at the same as my current 2016, which I feel is almost fast enough but not quite. ā€œRecoveringā€ .2 seconds via mods wouldnā€™t be much of a challenge, a half second or more, though, means Iā€™d likely have to boost.
Then get the fastback. You save 120 lbs. Every bit helps.
Sponsored