Sponsored

Best Oil and Filter for my Engine?

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
API - SN Plus for New Modern Engines ..........Full Synthetic ........
Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
There is no reason not to use Valvoline at all, it costs 25 bucks(currently on sale 22, LOL) bucks at wally world for a 5 qt jug, why guess and risk, it is 100% warranty compliant, cost effective, brand recognized with all recommendations checked off.
Supertech is also warranty compliant, and is 30+ % cheaper. I'm comfortable with the fact it meets the more stringent dexos1 Gen 2 spec rather than the Ford WSS spec.

I used it last change with stock MC filter and probably will continue to do so...
Which proves my point that everyone has their favorite. :)

I don't want them to start looking at excuses if sht hits the fan why I used bigger/wrong oil filters, bla bla, I don't see any benefit of using a bigger filter anyway if you change it between 5-7k miles which most people do anyway . Nope stick to stock filter and 100% verifiable oils with this engine.
Assuming you change the oil at specified intervals and use the proper grade (5W-30), I very much doubt engine oil will ever be at issue for a warranty claim involving an engine failure--no matter what spec it meets (or doesn't meet). The difference in wear protection from one brand to another is statistically insignificant, and other oil related problems probably won't come up during the warranty period.

The issues that make Ecoboosts go ecoboom during the warranty period (even the 100K extended variety) will never be mistaken for using an oil that doesn't meet a particular specification.

People who are interested in this topic should be concerned about the long game; I plan to be driving this car ten (or more) years from now. Meeting warranty requirements is the easiest part of choosing an oil--it just has to be the proper grade, and certified to the latest API rating of SN. Opting for a specification beyond that is for concerns beyond warranty preservation.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
As long as the oil meets the specs, any oil is fine. Change interval is more important. Filter, spend the money for a better brand that does not rhyme with scam.

Seriously, when have we heard about an oil related failure? It just does not happen, or VERY rarely.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Supertech is also warranty compliant, and is 30+ % cheaper. I'm comfortable with the fact it meets the more stringent dexos1 Gen 2 spec rather than the Ford WSS spec.
So you're just going by price rather than full specifications, got it.

Which proves my point that everyone has their favorite. :)
Wrong, I am not choosing Valvoline for brand, I choose Valvoline because they meet all specs on paper and that gives me comfort for a few extra bucks, the fact that Valvoline is a better recognized brand is just a bonus.

Assuming you change the oil at specified intervals and use the proper grade (5W-30), I very much doubt engine oil will ever be at issue for a warranty claim involving an engine failure--no matter what spec it meets (or doesn't meet). The difference in wear protection from one brand to another is statistically insignificant, and other oil related problems probably won't come up during the warranty period.

The issues that make Ecoboosts go ecoboom during the warranty period (even the 100K extended variety) will never be mistaken for using an oil that doesn't meet a particular specification.

People who are interested in this topic should be concerned about the long game; I plan to be driving this car ten (or more) years from now. Meeting warranty requirements is the easiest part of choosing an oil--it just has to be the proper grade, and certified to the latest API rating of SN. Opting for a specification beyond that is for concerns beyond warranty preservation.
Is this oil not good for a long term plan?

Have you not seen warranty denials on this site alone? I have seen people try to deny warranty on the oddest things that have no logical reasoning and seeing how these engines have a higher chance of experiencing a failure than a Corolla, you wouldn't want a luck of the draw one of these guys asking, "hey is this supetech oil even warranty compliant?" I have not seen a definitive answer if the Ford oil spec is required or not or might hinder warranty, if the GF-5 is equivalent why did they go through the trouble for getting the 946? So the few extra bucks for peace of mind is good enough for me.

Everyone is always first to give advice as a fact, but when a failure happens and you get canned none of them are there to bail you out.

Last edited:

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the oil meets Ford spec, what else is there?

Change it on schedule and you're good to go. It matters very little what was paid for it, if it meets spec. Mobil 1 to WalMart. Meets spec, I don't care.

Again, show me an oil related claim where the oil failed and killed an engine. Can't? I've seen and heard of filters being an issue, and certainly filters not safetied and falling off, but a claim due to oil not lubricating enough? Nah.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
So you're just going by price rather than full specifications, got it.
You are making a strawman argument and cherry picking my position. Price is a consideration, but first and foremost Supertech is the proper grade and meets the most stringent performance standard I'm aware of. If Ford's WSS standard exceeded the dexos standard you can be sure they would be advertising as such. If I see data that suggests this is the case I'll switch.

Wrong, I am not choosing Valvoline for brand, I choose Valvoline because they meet all specs on paper and that gives me comfort for a few extra bucks, the fact that Valvoline is a better recognized brand is just a bonus.
I didn't say you chose Valvoline based on brand, I said it's your favorite. Clearly, you value Ford's standard more than I do. It would likely become my favorite too if there were data showing its performance justified the higher price. I haven't seen the data, have you?

Is this oil not good for a long term plan? Have you not seen warranty denials on this site alone? I have seen people try to deny warranty on the oddest things...
I'm sure it's a fine oil, I just don't think it's worth the price difference. Have you seen a warranty denial because the owner didn't use an oil meeting Ford's WSS spec? If so, please share a link; I'd like to read about it.

Everyone is always first to give advice as a fact, but when a failure happens and you get canned none of them are there to bail you out.
This is true. As of this moment however, I don't believe any data exists that shows Valvoline oils meeting the dexos standard perform better than Supertech oils meeting the dexos standard. I'm always happy to be proven wrong; just show me the data.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
So to meet spec, you need oil that is as approved for WSS-M2C929-A
That's to meet Ford's recommendation. Ford's recommendation isn't a warranty requirement. I posted that link in response to Brian's claim that you needed to use full synthetic oil to meet warranty requirements. The owners manual clearly says semi synthetic oil is recommended. That's one of the reasons I don't follow all of Ford's recommendations. I follow warranty requirements, but not necessarily recommendations.

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking the turbo bearings are the riding factor. Synthetic is best at the high temps there.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
That's to meet Ford's recommendation. Ford's recommendation isn't a warranty requirement. I posted that link in response to Brian's claim that you needed to use full synthetic oil to meet warranty requirements. The owners manual clearly says semi synthetic oil is recommended. That's one of the reasons I don't follow all of Ford's recommendations. I follow warranty requirements, but not necessarily recommendations.

Isn't WSS oil specifications? It must meet spec to be compliant is not? How sure are you it is recommendation? cause it sure reads specification to me that's my beef, I'm not worried about brand X. BTW it isn't my responsibility to prove a negative, it is simple of is it a requirement or not, it looks like your just assuming.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Isn't WSS oil specifications? It must meet spec to be compliant is not? How sure are you it is recommendation? cause it sure reads specification to me that's my beef, I'm not worried about brand X. BTW it isn't my responsibility to prove a negative, it is simple of is it a requirement or not, it looks like your just assuming.
Yes, I'm making some assumptions, but based on evidence and reason, not just hunches.

For example (and in addition to all the other assumptions I've posted on this thread) I assume that any oil meeting the dexos 1 Gen 2 standard will outperform Ford's WSS specification owing to the fact that there are any number of conventional oils, including one from Valvoline, that meet the WSS specification, while all oils meeting the dexos 1 Gen 2 standard are synthetic or synthetic blends.

Would you choose Valvoline Daily Protection 5W-30 over Supertech full-synthetic 5W-30 simply because the Valvoline product meets the recommended Ford spec?
Sponsored