Sponsored

Ford Confirms 2019 Shelby GT500 Mustang, Supercharged V8 Over 700HP [Teaser Video]

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I have studied it frame by frame a number of times now. Something is definitely going on out back that hopefully allows for a 335/345 any poke.
Ok so its not just me! 335 or even 345 would be pretty awesome.
Sponsored

Reactions: _M_

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Def CGI, no?
The clip was 100% computer generated. The older car at the beginning, the wheel closeup - everything. I see CAD elements from start to finish. So while this may be close I suspect you'll see a variation in detail (some anyway) by the time the car is produced.

Ok so its not just me! 335 or even 345 would be pretty awesome.
Definitely not just you. But as I intimate up above, a CAD based video (and from whatever point in the design phase) may not be a 100% accurate rendering of what we will see. I certainly hope they will punch out a quarter panel that allows more room. Wouldn't make sense from an economies of scale perspective but hey, you never know. The front fenders were certainly addressed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I learned that Powertrain hit some silly numbers with the engine very early going but the rest of the drivetrain wasn't up to snuff, hence it being dialed back. I also wonder at what point legal has an influence considering the target market.
Bmac had good intel on the engine as Ford was there. They just dialed it back for good reason. Personally, I never saw it being much more than 700 because it probably was more than what the car needed in order to accomplish its mission which clearly (based on the video) isn't a heavy drag-strip (only) influence.
Yeah I suspected this once people started waffling. Thus the cycle of validation. Often we don't really find the limits till we're testing in the environmental chamber or on the track. This is a one area where GM has a big advantage: they have something like 100 full powertrain dynos (engine, trans, driveline), with Ford having about a tenth of that. That will be one focus Hackett will have: reduction of drivable prototypes with an emphasis on even more extensive use of analytical tools and dynos.

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
THANK YOU Ford-- will hopefully keep Bullitt ADMS in check (yeah right, who am I kidding, in Cali they add ADMs to skateboards)

Sponsored

intoadaze

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ivann
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 5.0
Def CGI lol

Looking at that rear wing, maybe it’s a GT500 R/KR variant? They might have a regular GT500 with a smaller spoiler?

MF_AutoDesigns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Looks like we guessed right on the return of the "floating" style badges for this gen :) . Here's our Coyote version for reference:
mcrtch.jpg

Excited for more info on this beast!

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
ZL1 1LE is 3837 lbs. I'm expecting within about 50 of that. A base GT PP is within about 40 of a 1SS, for reference.
Yes and has lighter DSSVs (than Magneride), a lighter manual, and a bunch of lightweighting. The GT500 will probably have heavy Magneride suspension, a HEAVY DCT (heavier than autos), and the heavy GT350 brakes, coolers, intercoolers and massively heavy supercharger.

ZL1 manual: 3,883
ZL1 auto: 3,944

You're dreaming if you think it'll be a sub 4k car.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Yes and has lighter DSSVs (than Magneride), a lighter manual, and a bunch of lightweighting. The GT500 will probably have heavy Magneride suspension, a HEAVY DCT (heavier than autos), and the heavy GT350 brakes, coolers, intercoolers and massively heavy supercharger.

Itll have chassis components lighter than the GT350 such as rumored composite engine cradle. Possibly Carbon roof. And carbon seat frames. Are all 3 options ive read about rumored to be coming.

Also GT500 early spy photos show larger brakes than the GT350 they are def not the same as the GT350.......

Where is this DCT trans you speak of Id expect it to get the A10.

I def think it can stay under 4k weight. Plus add in the carbon GT350 wheels that I bet will be an option at the very least.

Putting the GT350R wheels as an option on the GT500 makes sense for Ford to get more out of the developmemt cost of those wheels too.

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
Yeah I suspected this once people started waffling. Thus the cycle of validation. Often we don't really find the limits till we're testing in the environmental chamber or on the track. This is a one area where GM has a big advantage: they have something like 100 full powertrain dynos (engine, trans, driveline), with Ford having about a tenth of that. That will be one focus Hackett will have: reduction of drivable prototypes with an emphasis on even more extensive use of analytical tools and dynos.
To me, that’s kind of a scary proposition (the Hackett part of your post) I’m not an engineer, but I understand this the reality of product development in 2018. However, it does stand to reason that despite the best efforts of simulations, or “virtual” testing, vehicles have to live in the “real world” not the virtual one. Not only that, even brand new cars have problems that can be head scratchers such as focus/fiesta DPS6 clutch problems, or F150 door latches that get wet and freeze. I guess my point is, going forward, we might be entering a time where more issues crop up that begs the question of was something vetted enough? Or are these tools so good, that they know what/how something will fail or how many and account for it?

HotLap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
Yeah, thats pound to power ratio is almost identical to 2014 GT500. I was really hoping for a better number. Hopefully the rest of the car is built right to maximize the power and minimize the weight penalty
Not apples-to-apples I realize, but I had a 2007 GT500 and now have a 2017 Gt350 and while the overall weight may be close, the new chassis improvements including Magnaride and other suspension /braking upgrades smoke the 2007...seriously not even in the same ballpark...obviously Ford will utilize these improvements on the GT500 as well. Still, sorry to hear it's gaining weight, weight kills everything, performance, handling, braking, fuel mileage, etc!!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Trying to wrap my head around the weight of a bigger than GT350 rotor/caliper combination as well as the wheels I see which absolutely look similar to a base GT350 wheel but most likely in 20" diameter. You don't see spokes done like the ones in this new clip done in fiber. Which makes me believe even more so that a R/KR variant (or a Track Pack option) will be available with fiber wheels, RSD, etc. Unless it got killed by management as somebody was reporting some time ago...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

1200px-Box.agr.jpg
Sponsored