Sponsored

2.3t oil coolers

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
As I have been interested in the subject lately . I have found 2 direct fit oil cooler kits and at least 2 other universal bolt on kits thermostatic of course . I think the biggest difference between the 4 is mounting brackets and locations to mount.
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Are we bumping into oil temp limits? Wasn't aware that we had oil temperature issues or were towing trailers :lol: Thought the Ecoboost has a pretty big sump...

OP
OP
Brian V

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I plan on doing some track time next year.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
I posed the question before...for things like track night in America or autocross events, the performance package + bigger intercooler should suffice. No one I asked for track advice in here said anything about needing an oil cooler. If you're really aggressive, you might need a differential oil cooler (like the gt350 has). 2016 and above have a differential temperature sensor, as I guess a few 2015 owners got a nasty suprise when they overheated the rear diff...

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
You might consider running without an oil cooler first to see what kind of temps you experience. You might find the oil cooler isn't worth the added weight and complexity on the track.

Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
You might consider running without an oil cooler first to see what kind of temps you experience. You might find the oil cooler isn't worth the added weight and complexity on the track.
^ ^ Good advice there, gents! +1

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
<snip>2016 and above have a differential temperature sensor, as I guess a few 2015 owners got a nasty suprise when they overheated the rear diff...
IIRC, this is not an accessible value, right? It's tied into the BCM in order to display a 'time-to-pull-over-for-awhile-pardner' message on the cluster(?)

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
My car has been on track once, and it was not even a track day. Basically MMP does what they call Wide Open Wednesdays where you can basically do one lap of the track, and then pull off and line up to do it again. A lot like autocross actually.

I was doing the east track, and my oil temps (via the interpreted gauge) were floating with the red zone... even after 1 lap. I would argue to say that for any sustained aggressive driving an oil cooler is mandatory.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I was doing the east track, and my oil temps (via the interpreted gauge) were floating with the red zone... even after 1 lap. I would argue to say that for any sustained aggressive driving an oil cooler is mandatory.
Can you give more specifics? Is your car modded? What were the track conditions (elevation, temp, etc.)? Type of track (autocross, oval, etc.)?

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
IIRC, this is not an accessible value, right? It's tied into the BCM in order to display a 'time-to-pull-over-for-awhile-pardner' message on the cluster(?)
Yeah, Ford didn't put it into the electronic gauge cluster unfortunately...I would think you could access it in Torque with a bluetooth OBDII connector ;) IIRC, the computer throws a code and you get an overheated differential message. The code self clears once the condition is gone. I'd imagine in the Ecoboost, you'd need a pretty twisty track to get the diff that hot...

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
My car has been on track once, and it was not even a track day. Basically MMP does what they call Wide Open Wednesdays where you can basically do one lap of the track, and then pull off and line up to do it again. A lot like autocross actually.

Do you have a PP car? The extra (coolant) cooling capacity might factor into this...

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
The "reported" oil temperature [a digital representation of an analog gauge] is NOT the "oil temperature", it is an "inferred" temperature based on cylinder head temperature - as there is SOME correlation.
This is NOT the OIL temperature.
Towing is not the only reason oil temperatures rise.
ANY load on the engine does this - increase your HP, you have increased your "load", temperatures rise.
I race 1/4 mile and soon PDX SCCA, so...

Ford has one sensor on the oil - an analog pressure sensor on the oil filter block.
To install an actual temperature sensor requires a "T" in that same line and some sealant tape. Monitoring that will require a guage or using an analog monitor (SCT with an analog tap).
Making this display on the dash isn't an option - no input available.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
Can you give more specifics? Is your car modded? What were the track conditions (elevation, temp, etc.)? Type of track (autocross, oval, etc.)?
It is a road course. Formerly the Miller Motorsports Park, but now called the Utah Motorsports Campus. I was running the east track. Elevation is right around 4500ft'ish and I ran it in September 2015 so the temps were probably in the upper 80s low 90s.

My car at the time... I think just an Accessport and exhaust.

Do you have a PP car? The extra (coolant) cooling capacity might factor into this...
Yeah, it is a PP car.

The "reported" oil temperature [a digital representation of an analog gauge] is NOT the "oil temperature", it is an "inferred" temperature based on cylinder head temperature - as there is SOME correlation.
This is NOT the OIL temperature.
Towing is not the only reason oil temperatures rise.
ANY load on the engine does this - increase your HP, you have increased your "load", temperatures rise.
You are spot on there. Inferred based on coolant temp, oil pressure and I am sure a few more things. Assuming you are using the OE viscosity oil, it's probably safe to assume that if you are pushing it into the red it is time to take a break. If you are running some different viscosity oil that inferred gauge is useless.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered a 1/8" NPT temp sensor, going to plumb/wire it in for SCT datalogging (analog input) - it's an AEM piece with a pretty good track record, comes with a datasheet and "equation".

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Ordered a 1/8" NPT temp sensor, going to plumb/wire it in for SCT datalogging (analog input) - it's an AEM piece with a pretty good track record, comes with a datasheet and "equation".
Cool! I'll be watching this space closely to see what kind of actual temps you get.
Sponsored