Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
I just ask 1 thing though... why cant people learn how to do it and learn the SKILL involved in doing so. Having ford create an algorithm to do it for you is such a millennial way of thinking (no offense millennials). We used to take pride is man handling a manual transmission car and the skill involved in doing so... is that so bad? Now you also mention flat foot shifting? We did this in everything back in the day, with skill, you can flat foot shift anything. Again I stand behind the term SKILL. I used to beat the wheels off my vortech supercharged 96 gt, because no matter what it was, by todays standards, it was still slow (but for that time, was far from it). But we used to take the same pride in being fast enough with the gearbox to be able to yank through gears and not lift our foots off the throttle... skills, where have they gone?

I'm not trying to argue with you, just wanting to point out fully my point of view. If someone has a logical argument for why people dont need to possess skills any more I'm all for listening with open ears and an opened mind.
You hit the nail on the head, people are just lazy and claim they don't have the time in their lives to learn a new skill when a computer can do it for them! Reluctantly, I am a millennial and if there is a faster/easier way to do something that is what most of my friends want. I agree with you, there is a certain satisfaction with mastering (or at least getting better at) a skill. This is lost on most of my friends, and frankly it is just sad.

I'll keep rowing my own gears and rev matching til they take it away from me. Then I'll gravitate back to the classics again.
Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
As a 50 year old. That has owned a 50-50 mix of manuals and autos thru out my life. I think the skill involved in shifting a manual transmission is WAAAAY over rated by the manual only crowd. I believe a monkey could be trained to shift a manual. No offense to manual owners. But some guys try to make it sound like it's rocket science. In reality. It's a very simple act that just takes a week or two of practice to get. And a short time longer to perfect.
This too. Although most of my friends have no idea why I'm making all this extra noise downshifting, they do think it is rocket science! Fear of the unknown... seems so difficult lol

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
As a 50 year old. That has owned a 50-50 mix of manuals and autos thru out my life. I think the skill involved in shifting a manual transmission is WAAAAY over rated by the manual only crowd. I believe a monkey could be trained to shift a manual. No offense to manual owners. But some guys try to make it sound like it's rocket science. In reality. It's a very simple act that just takes a week or two of practice to get. And a short time longer to perfect.
Yeah, anyone can do it, but to do it well is the key.
My sister in law drives a manual and sucks at it. Replaces clutches on a Honda Accord every 50,000 miles.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
It's funny how ridiculous this whole manual purist thing sounds. Like hipster who end up all wearing the same thing, how does that work ? (JK)

The new automatics that are being put in cars these days allow people to enjoy their car in a whole different way then ever possible before. Same goes for rev matching manuals and synchros. Takes a way all the hasstle and just let's you drive the car the way you enjoy it the most.

Do you also still pump the brake instead of trusting the ABS system ?

To each their own I guess, but stop the ridiculous arguments. So let everyone enjoy their car in their own way, the options are there for a reason.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I just ask 1 thing though... why cant people learn how to do it and learn the SKILL involved in doing so. Having ford create an algorithm to do it for you is such a millennial way of thinking (no offense millennials). We used to take pride is man handling a manual transmission car and the skill involved in doing so... is that so bad? Now you also mention flat foot shifting? We did this in everything back in the day, with skill, you can flat foot shift anything. Again I stand behind the term SKILL. I used to beat the wheels off my vortech supercharged 96 gt, because no matter what it was, by todays standards, it was still slow (but for that time, was far from it). But we used to take the same pride in being fast enough with the gearbox to be able to yank through gears and not lift our foots off the throttle... skills, where have they gone?

I'm not trying to argue with you, just wanting to point out fully my point of view. If someone has a logical argument for why people dont need to possess skills any more I'm all for listening with open ears and an opened mind.
The same argument goes for any piece of technology that is evolving over time. Why can't people learn to double clutch? Why can't people learn to signal with their hands? Why can't people learn to ride horses? ...I know, a bit extreme, but the point stands.

The fact is that as generations change, the driving habits change based on the technology available when said generation comes of driving age. It's nothing new.

If the purist mentality is, "I want only true manual, non assisted transmissions on the road for those rowing gears", then the reality is that within a very short period of time, you'll be enjoying your auto transmission or walking.

It doesn't have to be an all or nothing environment - because of how these cars are programmed, it's incredibly simple to allow one user to have a "purist" driving experience, while another lazy driver like me to get some satisfaction of rowing through gears while the computer says, "let me give you a hand and rev the engine perfectly for you from stops and during shifts".

:)

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Meh, other things for Ford to concentrate on. Like why not have car tuned for 93 (98 in UK) octane, better compression ratio.
Ford was behind GM in the handling game, so mag ride was a key improvement.
The performance numbers are based on 93 octane, I believe. The ecu can compensate for other octane levels.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
You hit the nail on the head, people are just lazy and claim they don't have the time in their lives to learn a new skill when a computer can do it for them! Reluctantly, I am a millennial and if there is a faster/easier way to do something that is what most of my friends want. I agree with you, there is a certain satisfaction with mastering (or at least getting better at) a skill. This is lost on most of my friends, and frankly it is just sad.

I'll keep rowing my own gears and rev matching til they take it away from me. Then I'll gravitate back to the classics again.
Im a Millennial and prefer stick shift, so do many people i know my age, maybe it's a UK thing. My experience is it's the older generation with their dodgy legs and knees who prefer the auto

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It's funny how ridiculous this whole manual purist thing sounds. Like hipster who end up all wearing the same thing, how does that work ? (JK)

The new automatics that are being put in cars these days allow people to enjoy their car in a whole different way then ever possible before. Same goes for rev matching manuals and synchros. Takes a way all the hasstle and just let's you drive the car the way you enjoy it the most.

To each their own I guess, but stop the ridiculous arguments. So let everyone prefere their driving experience the way they prefere it.
There is no doubt that autos are now the faster option. I still prefer the feel of a manual, but I am not afraid to admit that I will never match what can be done with a modern auto.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Ridiculous comparison, one's for safety another isn't. After having an auto M3 for two weeks while my manaul M3 was being repaired, no way id go for auto again, sure it was probably fractionally faster but felt slower and so boring. And the BMW DCT is one of the best auto gearboxes.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Only after driving through a puddle.. gotta dry out them linings or you won't stop!:D

I also think of manuals as a built in theft device.
most young punk thieves can't drive a stick!

I like the old guy in the video. "they can't drive a stick? That's not manly!":lol:

Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Im a Millennial and prefer stick shift, so do many people i know my age, maybe it's a UK thing. My experience is it's the older generation with their dodgy legs and knees who prefer the auto
It is a UK (and global) thing. I think it also has to do with lower costs. Manuals are cheaper. And when you're paying all of that VAT, $8/gallon for gas, exorbitant car prices, etc.. Every bit you can save helps!

The ratio of manuals to autos sold globally is much more skewed to manual, than the U.S.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
In an attempt to change the focus here.

What do we expect dual mass fly wheel and dual clutch will mean for the manual ? How would it change the feel and performance ?

Outgoing manual felt sluggish, slow and heavy to me, wouldn't describe it as a nice transmission. What would change ?

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

just adding some cents to the manual vs auto discussion.
I have grown up using stick, however considering that some of us use our cars as daily drivers an automatic box is a rather nice option. Driving in traffic jams, around town an automatic is perfect for the task.

But yes for more aggressive driving a manual box is more entertaining, may not be as quick but it is not as digital as driving a performance car with e.g. s-tronic, PDK etc.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
But we used to take the same pride in being fast enough with the gearbox to be able to yank through gears and not lift our foots off the throttle... skills, where have they gone?.
Can't answer for everyone, but all my spare time is spent honing my skill at making horseshoes.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP