Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
"Blip" = "rev match"
Yes but the current 6-speed auto rev-matches, but it does not blip.

I want it to make crazy loud blips like BMW M-DCT does or like you can do in a manual when down changing yourself.

So hoping the 10-speed can do proper blips so I can make lots of noise, yes I am a hooligan. :D
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I believe the BMW M2 blips the throttle on the stick shift, will the Mustang do something like this? I agree, the loud blips on the E92 M3 were intoxicating.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
The 18 will.
Haven't heard that from Ford (regarding the manual) and I believe it's hearsay at this point.

They added this to the current generation of Mini's as well (F56?) and it's reallllly annoying. C7 Vettes also have it. Hopefully it can be permanently defeated, because I can rev match and heel-toe my own downshifts, thank-you-very-much. It's part of what makes driving a manual enjoyable for me.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't heard that from Ford (regarding the manual) and I believe it's hearsay at this point.

They added this to the current generation of Mini's as well (F56?) and it's reallllly annoying. C7 Vettes also have it. Hopefully it can be permanently defeated, because I can rev match and heel-toe my own downshifts, thank-you-very-much. It's part of what makes driving a manual enjoyable for me.
K. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
I know 6MT auto rev matching is becoming very popular on numerous different models. The Camaro and even the Civic Type R both have it. I would welcome it on Mustangs.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
This is what annoys me about Ford, they seem to spend more time advertising quiet exhausts/magneride (zzzzzz) than on things most people would want on a performance car, like auto rev matching on stick shifts.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
The majority of manual drivers are not fantastic at the heel-toe technique. I think including the feature would actually help the longevity of the manual transmission - I'm an example where it would actually make me think about the 6spd vs the new 10.

With that said, having a defeat option available within the car's settings would be a smart thing to do, and shouldn't be very difficult to implement.

Since-64'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (soon)
If they do include rev-match on the 6pd manual transmission it sure would be nice to have the ability to turn the feature off for those of us that want to do our own heel-toe action and be pretend race car drivers on the weekend :p

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
If they do include rev-match on the 6pd manual transmission it sure would be nice to have the ability to turn the feature off for those of us that want to do our own heel-toe action and be pretend race car drivers on the weekend :p
"Vintage race cars". Don't top level modern race cars use sequential shifter and automated rev matching? :D

I've lots of rev matching experience with and without double clutching for a dog ring gearbox and to save syncro wear. I'm looking forward to trading to a 10A. :D

Sponsored

VenomousSVT

about to take the plunge
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger WideBody ScatPack
Forgive me for sounding stupid or sounding like an ass.... But what the hell Is auto Rev matching on a manual car? Do people not blip the throttle on their cars when they downshift without thought process? I've driven like this for 20 years now and it's just the way I drive.... I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone needs the car to Rev for them and magically know if they are up shifting or downshifting to Rev match for them.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Forgive me for sounding stupid or sounding like an ass.... But what the hell Is auto Rev matching on a manual car? Do people not blip the throttle on their cars when they downshift without thought process? I've driven like this for 20 years now and it's just the way I drive.... I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone needs the car to Rev for them and magically know if they are up shifting or downshifting to Rev match for them.
The car knows what gear you are in, it knows how fast you are going, it knows if your foot is on the brake, it knows the gear ratio. For a computer it isn't hard to exactly match RPM on downshifts. Good heal/toe braking is not easy. Normal around town driving doesn't really lend itself to practice.

It would seem logical for Ford to include this since it's supposed to have no-lift shift for upshifts.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Forgive me for sounding stupid or sounding like an ass....
You're forgiven ;)

As was already mentioned above - if a true car purist thinks they're buying any new car with a manual because they want "full control" over the vehicle, they're absolutely lying to themselves.

All new cars have the capability to rev match, as braking and throttle input is entirely controlled by the computer - the user gets to recommend what they want for input, but the computer ultimately decides if it's ok to do so.

So to answer your question - no, most people are not rev matching or heel-toeing their way through gears. They're letting the syncros match revs as the gear is slid into place. In fact, I would guess that rev matching hasn't been a common practice for the majority of manual drivers for decades now.

Here's the way I look at it - the "save the manuals" group is losing. Every generation causes an exponential drop in drivers who actually care about rowing through gears. A simple addition in technology such as this could prolong the life of the manual transmission - a feature that as I mentioned already exists. By the same token, it should be fairly easy to remove should the user still want to pretend to be a purist / race car driver.

I don't want to see manuals go away any more than the next person, but some times a community can be their own worst enemy.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
This is what annoys me about Ford, they seem to spend more time advertising quiet exhausts/magneride (zzzzzz) than on things most people would want on a performance car, like auto rev matching on stick shifts.
Magneride is actually a key thing people want in a performance car.
Sponsored