Sponsored

GT350 as a DD...Yes or no?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I DD mine. What do you have to loose, unless you plan on flipping the car. Didn't Carrol Shelby say "these cars are meant to be driven"!?!? IMO the 50th annie LE is probably the better choice for a garage queen as those are more limited than the GT350. Either way, sounds like a great problem to have. Cheers!
On that note, a dealer by me recently just ate a big juicy fat one to finally get rid of their 50th Ann car that they've been sitting on forever. They took it on trade and it's been sitting for nearly a year until now. Frankly, no one cares about anniversary cars anymore unless there's a level of prestige that is far beyond measure or they're a collector that has the means to care.
Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
IMO the 350 is a bad candidate for a DD. Not very good MPG, expensive tires & brake pads, small gas tank, and isn't the easiest to get in/out of.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine but not for that purpose.

PONYKAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2014 GT500
On that note, a dealer by me recently just ate a big juicy fat one to finally get rid of their 50th Ann car that they've been sitting on forever. They took it on trade and it's been sitting for nearly a year until now. Frankly, no one cares about anniversary cars anymore unless there's a level of prestige that is far beyond measure or they're a collector that has the means to care.
You make a great point about the 50th LE. Probably needs to be kept in museum quality with low to no miles to be worth anything of significance. Of course, it's guys like us who say this now, then when everyone has driven them into the ground there will only be a few left and they will sell for good amount at Mecum to the collectors :)

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I daily drove mine for about a month. I stopped because I just didn't feel right putting short-trip miles on it. By the time I got it up to operating temperature I was turning it back off again. There isn't much fun to be had on my commute anyway.

Plus there's the fact that I'm constantly worried about leaving it outside all day - especially with all the idiots and break-ins at my workplace parking lot. So I guess it ended up being more stress than it was worth to DD. That's just me and my circumstance - there's certainly nothing wrong with DD'ing it. It's tame when you want it to be and the clutch is light and easy to live with.

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I daily drive mine but I'm retired. I do look for excuses to run to the store though. I had a HHRSS and a 2004 GTO to drive instead of the 350 but I ended up selling them because they just sat. When given the choice I jumped in the 350. I am mindful of where I park and don't take it to Wal Mart.

earlSpilner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base (arriving Dec 2015)
I DD mine generally during the summer and have 27,000 km on mine and recently needed tires. They are fine to DD.

PONYKAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2014 GT500
I DD mine in the nice months being up north. 35K a year is a lot to put on ANY car though.
I DD mine in Central/Southern CA, so it's always a beautiful day in the neighborhood. We have canyons too :)

I second the notion that 35k is a lot per year. Might be a good idea to go with a hybrid or electric DD to save a few pennies.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
It's a great DD, as long as you are ok with putting a ton of miles on it and dealing with door dings, scatches, and random acts of life, go for it!

Sponsored

nhgaudreau

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I DD mine. Makes driving to and from work pretty darn fun.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I also vote no DD. It's not the worst in the world, but with its high maintenance cost and the mileage depreciation, you can do better. It eats oil and a 10 quart change is over a hundred bucks. The mileage sucks. I also kept finding holes in traffic and then I'd be tempted to hit it like a stereotypical, ahem, Mustang driver.

The track, and fun weekends for me. It makes driving it even better because I associate the car with fun, not riding the clutch for three miles in heavy traffic - which is soul crushing.

PONYKAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2014 GT500
I also vote no DD. It's not the worst in the world, but with its high maintenance cost and the mileage depreciation, you can do better. It eats oil and a 10 quart change is over a hundred bucks. The mileage sucks. I also kept finding holes in traffic and then I'd be tempted to hit it like a stereotypical, ahem, Mustang driver.

The track, and fun weekends for me. It makes driving it even better because I associate the car with fun, not riding the clutch for three miles in heavy traffic - which is soul crushing.
I guess the first thing we must all agree on is what does DD really mean. I don't have traffic (hard to believe, but true), but others have stop and go congested commutes. I wake up everyday looking for a reason to drive mine, but it depends on what your DD is. If it were a LA, Chicago, or NYC commute I wouldn't DD anything. I'd be using public transportation or moving into the cities.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I guess the first thing we must all agree on is what does DD really mean. I don't have traffic (hard to believe, but true), but others have stop and go congested commutes. I wake up everyday looking for a reason to drive mine, but it depends on what your DD is. If it were a LA, Chicago, or NYC commute I wouldn't DD anything. I'd be using public transportation or moving into the cities.
No traffic? Are you open to adopting?
Sponsored