Sponsored

Gen. 6 Mustang S550 for Dummies [Primer on news and rumors]

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Here is a quick crash course for the newbies.

MUSTANG

-TO SEE THE FIRST OFFICIAL PICTURES LEAKED BY AUTOWEEK, CLICK HERE

-THE MUSTANG WILL OFFICIALLY BE UNVEILED ON DECEMBER 5TH. It has already been revealed to journalists do they can prepare their articles for the big day. For more info, CLICK HERE.

-The new Mustang is slated to come out for the 2015 MY. It will be riding on an all-new platform based on a larger sedan platform. The new platform's name is S550.

-IRS (independent rear suspension) will be gained. CONFIRMED TRUE

-Weight will most likely be lost. Ford's goal is to shed up to 5% off the car (roughly 150-200 LBS) depending on trim. The 2.3T will weigh roughly 3200 LBS. 200 LB WEIGHT LOSS CONFIRMED TRUE

-The new design will keep all of the traditional Mustang bits: long hood, short deck, RWD, and affordable. Ford employees that have seen the new Mustang said that the S550 will be more evolutionary than revolutionary than the S197. For more details, CLICK HERE. To see the face of the new Mustang, CLICK HERE. For a giant compilation of all of the S550 sketches floating around the web, CLICK HERE.

-Based on spy pix of an early mule, we will be seeing a new exhaust resonator that Ford has patented.

-The V6 will carry on next generation as the base engine. CONFIRMED TRUE

-EcoBoost 4 cylinder will be seen in this generation, confirmed by Ford executives. Displacement will be 2.3L, with power up to 270-300 HP. This engine will slot in between the V6 and the 5.0L. CONFIRMED TRUE. WILL ALSO COME WITH OPTIONAL PERFORMANCE PACK.

-The Coyote is NOT going anywhere. Also direct injection, which the heads have already been designed for, will not be making it to the warmed-up 5-0. Power is said to be in the 430-450 HP range. CONFIRMED TRUE

-Recent rumors have also suggested that Ford will bring a new model to the table, believed to be the GT350, to compete with the new Z/28 from Chevy. The engine, codenamed Voodoo, will be 5.2L (5.4L has also been floating around) in displacement and will have some "left field" technology in it. It is rumored to have a flat-plane crank, but this rumor has little credibility. Power will fall between 500-600 HP. Ford engineers were able to get 600 HP out of the beast, but was scaled back for durability reasons. This car has been spied recently, showing us its functional cooling scoops, carbon ceramic brakes, 305 section front tires, and quad exhaust tips.

-Spy pictures of covered vehicles have been caught with what appears to be six-piston monoblock calipers on rotors with a significantly increased diameter. Rear brakes have appeared to change minimally, using a familiar dual-piston floating caliper. CONFIRMED TRUE WITH 15” FRONT DISKS ON GT PP

-CLICK HERE for a complete list of confirmed and unconfirmed rumors for the S550.

______________________________________________________________________________________

OTHER FORD PRODUCTS

-The Focus is set to get a minor refresh soon, with the ST and the regular models getting facelifts. AWD and 300 HP will be coming to the new Focus, either as the refreshed ST or the new RS.

-Fusion will be getting a ST treatment foe the 2015 MY. 400 HP and AWD is rumored, as well as the 2.3L EcoBoost.

-The next-generation Taurus will move to a modified Fusion platform.

-The next-generation Edge will also be on a modified Fusion platform. Expect the EB 3.5TTV6 to make an appearance. See the leaked image of the new Edge, HERE. See the concept HERE

-The next-generation F-150, slated to come out for the 2015 MY, is moving to an all-aluminum body. Weight savings will be up to 700 LBS for the new 1/2-ton. It will remain very close to the Atlas Concept's styling. Expect a reveal at the Detroit Auto Show.

-With the continuation of the Navigator (see below), the Expedition is going to receive a redesign and will most likely use the EcoBoost V6 and Coyote engines. Because the 2015 F-150 frame was not ready in time when the development started on the new Expy, the big beast will soldier on with the existing platform until 2018.

-As of right now, and it pains me to say this as a Ranger owner, we will NOT be seeing the T6 Ranger here in America. It will be left to dominate for the rest of the world. Ford employees want to bring it back and build it, but the big boys are ignoring their outcries. But there are still numerous reports of them still running around the Dearborn area.

______________________________________________________________________________________

THE LINCOLN REVIVAL

-A RWD Lincoln coupe (and maybe sedan) will spawn from the Mustang's platform. Expect it to release in the 2017-2018 MY. It will be built at the Flat Rock assembly plant along-side the 2015 Mustang.

-For 2015 the Navigator will receive a refresh. The 5.4 will be dropped in favor of the 3.5 EB. It will soldier on with the existing frame, as the F-150 frame wasn't ready on time for the 2015 MY. It will no longer be a tarted-up Expedition by 2018, it will be designed and constructed by Lincoln for the first time in the 'Gator's history. The expected engine lineup is the EcoBoost V6, Coyote 5.0, and a new EcoBoost V8. It is possible for Ford to later on drop the Coyote to create an EcoBoost-only lineup. It will be on the new F-150's platform and will also use an extensive amount of aluminum body paneling. A Vista-style glass roof will be making it on to the Navi. Despite the monstrous power available, it will still have class-leading FE. This will not be a cheap truck, it is going to be in the leagues of the Range Rover with the Navi's style and luxury.

-MKX will be redesigned for the 2015 MY, and move to the new Fusion's platform.

-The Aviator is now expected to make a revival as an Explorer-based mid-size SUV. This will either lead to the termination of the MKT or more likely make the MKT a fleet/livery-only model. The moniker "MKA" was recently trademarked by Ford.

-The Lincoln MKZ will be receiving a performance model for 2015 (possibly Red Label), it is going to have around 400 HP and AWD.

-The MKS will be redesigned and also moved to the Fusion platform for the 2016 MY. A performance model (again, possibly Red Label) is going to develop 475-500 HP to give it a bump from its mid-size partner.

-A 2.9L TTV6 is being developed, with power rivaling the current 3.5L EB. Coming with it is a nine-speed automatic co-developed by GM and Ford. This will be a Lincoln-exclusive powertrain.

This is what we know as of 12/3/2013

Any bullet saying "CONFIRMED TRUE" has been confirmed by official information from Ford.
Sponsored

groundnpounder

Good info thanks!

Glad to hear v8 isn't going anywhere. The trend of manufacturers ditching high displacement engines in favor of smaller forced induction engines has me worried. I see why they need to do that to meet future federal fuel economy standards but I wish they'd still keep the big engines at the top end of the range.

blackstallion4209

The Stallion
Threads
Reaction score
As for the rumor that a RWD Lincoln will spawn from the 6gen mustang, MT may have some bad news. apparently Lincoln will make no sort of "halo" model, and instead will focus on volume models like the MKZ, upcoming MKC (escape-based), and overhauling the other cars in the lineup. They don't plan on expanding the lineup. I hope this isn't true, a Mustang-based Lincoln could sell decently, and would bring some excitement to the brand. IMO the 2nd gen CTS (especially V) started Cadillac's resurgence, so why can't the same work for Lincoln?
link: MT

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
There is a high possibility that the next MKS will be RWD. The new Taurus will be moving to a stretched Fusion platform, but we still don't know about the MKS. I have heard too much evidence to believe a hunch that MT might have.

So basically I'm dismissing it.

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
UPDATED INFO

New information is underlined.

Sponsored

Grimm

Threads
Reaction score
Interesting new info thx. So it's officially going to be riding on the same platform as the current Mustang and not get a new separate platform code #/name? What will make the 2015+ Mustang a new (6th) generation then since the generations are usually separated by different platform codes? Just because it changes looks?

It's too bad it's not a completely new lighter platform. Was really hopin for that weight reduction.

How confirmed is this btw?

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
It was confirmed from two different employees from Ford.

Don't be too sad, though. Heavy modification is under way. With new sheetmetal also comes the potential for weight savings. You can shave 200 LBS off of a car on an existing platform, but it will definitely take some work.

I'd still call it a sixth generation car, however. The styling will be all-new and not a variation or continuation of the same thing. Also, the powertrains may be altered. The new Focus is currently ridding on the last-generation platform (Europe's, that is) so just because it may be riding on the same structure, it will still be an entirely different car.

blackstallion4209

The Stallion
Threads
Reaction score
This is awful news IMO. They may heavily modify the platform and even cut 200 lbs, but unless all the weight savings come off the front it'll still have a pretty poor weight distribution front to rear. My fears from the IRS mules seem to have been realized. :( it also makes me wonde if that horribly bolted together interior from the mule is actually the next interior too (but put together properly) ugh freakin Ford. I don't see a RWD 4-door spawning anymore either

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
A few things, Black.

It isn't all bad. Now we know it's on a proven platform with excellent capabilities. Think of how great of a performer the GT500 is. Now imagine it with a lighter, better-handling IRS setup. It is also possible that Ford will be able to modify the firewall to allow the engine to sit closer to the driver, thus bettering the weight distribution.

There is no way that the interior shown was going to be close to what we are going to see. It was a mish-mash of what we already had, most likely just to test out software. The Mustang is going to be a world-class car. Most likely that will mean it will gain a world-class interior as well.

AND DON'T WORRY. Lincoln is still going to get their full-size RWD car.

blackstallion4209

The Stallion
Threads
Reaction score
I sure hope you're right. I've been planning on getting a 50th anniversary Mustang since i got mine. I'm hoping ford doesn't screw it up

Sponsored
OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
With the products Ford has been rolling out with lately (Escape, Fusion, Focus) I think Ford knows what their doing. :cool:

I'll also add this... the V6 Mustang is already lighter than the 3.6L Cadillac ATS, which rides on the new Alpha platform. That is what the next Camaro is supposed to ride on and apparently "crush" the Mustang with.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Can't say I'm not disappointed to hear that it will be the same platform as now, but I'll keep optimistic like Thed and put faith in Ford knowing what they're doing. They know that the next Camaro is moving to the lighter Alpha platform so I'm sure this decision was made with that considered.

blackstallion4209

The Stallion
Threads
Reaction score
Thed you're lying because it contradicts what MT and the rest of the GM fans there think! Plus who needs reliable sources these days?

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
M/T can kiss my ass. They're just speculating a speculation from another website. I hate their journalism (if you can even call it that), sometimes.
Sponsored