Sponsored

Swapped from Lund to Palm Beach Dyno

15dib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Sometimes I wish I would've kept my xcal lol.
Sponsored

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You've said it yourself that the vmp/tvs/Whipple boys are given more timing than when I originally got mine tuned. You were a little ticked off by it. I haven't heard of any Palm Beach Dyno blowing up any car issues either. I'm sure it's more than a 15-20hp increase, different types of dynos on different days. You'll tend to make less on a mustang dyno vs a dynojet
Every car and every brand of blower is different.. That was a long time ago, and we've learned some things about the "fine line" with these engines.

The tune that Ken is running is no different than the tune that Lund is running. Think about it.. Ken worked for Lund Racing for a long time. If we shoved 19-20 degrees of timing into ours, we would pick up a bunch more power. There's no magical formula to making more power. Fuel/Spark, and cam timing optimization. That's it. We've nudged up to 17.5-18 degrees cautiously over the past 2 years of tuning on these engines.

Lund Racing was willing to work with you on the tune. But it was going to be 100.00 for a retune, since they had to go back in and redo fueling from the ground on up with the new injectors. I spoke to them today about it. But, 19+ degrees of timing on 93 octane is not a good idea. I don't care what Ken says. And, there are some blown up motors that have been quietly swept under the rug in the past year.

I'm not saying this stuff to be ugly.. I do care about what happens to your vehicle. So, I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Thanks,

Travis

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ken B. here also, he has the 15+ game on lock. My start up tune has been so good I haven't even data logged for him because I like it so much.
I'm not sure I'd say that.. Lund Racing has tuned the highest HP supercharged and turbocharged S550's out there. And, the sheer number of cars tuned is far greater. Almost zero instances of failure.

Obviously, he is a capable tuner. No knocking his ability. But, I don't agree with how aggressive he's getting with pump gas tunes. It leaves no margin for error or even a bad tank of fuel.

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Every car and every brand of blower is different.. That was a long time ago, and we've learned some things about the "fine line" with these engines.

The tune that Ken is running is no different than the tune that Lund is running. Think about it.. Ken worked for Lund Racing for a long time. If we shoved 19-20 degrees of timing into ours, we would pick up a bunch more power. There's no magical formula to making more power. Fuel/Spark, and cam timing optimization. That's it. We've nudged up to 17.5-18 degrees cautiously over the past 2 years of tuning on these engines.

Lund Racing was willing to work with you on the tune. But it was going to be 100.00 for a retune, since they had to go back in and redo fueling from the ground on up with the new injectors. I spoke to them today about it. But, 19+ degrees of timing on 93 octane is not a good idea. I don't care what Ken says. And, there are some blown up motors that have been quietly swept under the rug in the past year.

I'm not saying this stuff to be ugly.. I do care about what happens to your vehicle. So, I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Thanks,

Travis
Great info Travis .
Out of curiosity how much timing was in the E85 tune when you made 900+ with the 3.2KB/3.5 upper /7.88 lower?
I know that combo should see 19-20 psi but I see 22-23 peak(above 7200 rpm).

OP
OP
Obsol3te

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP

Thanks,

Travis
I understand where you're coming from Travis and I've never had a problem with you. But as I said in a previous post it seems like I was bugging Jon the way he'd respond to dataloging or other issues.
I'm aware they wanted a fee for the retune for the larger injectors. He wanted $150 for the retune. I weighed my options and from the opinions of a bunch of others on this forum I decided to just take the plunge and give Ken a shot. I know he used to work with Lund, I don't know or really care for the terms he left on but he did. I wish he'd have a presence on this forum so he can speak his mind as well, i'm not too savvy on most of the ins and outs of tuning, but [MENTION=9610]jayman33[/MENTION] can speak for him im sure and so can a bunch of other satisfied customers. I've ran both "finished" tunes on my cars and again just from a driveability standpoint the Palm Beach tune is much more linear and easier to drive and the MPG rose substantially. As for the power difference? I'll never know because I never hit the track on the Lund tune.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I'm sorry to say, I'm just doing an NA e85 tune with Ken right now for my headers and sniper.....But lurking for a few months gave me time to realize who I would work great with me. He seemed to be the guy.
[MENTION=23883]1badrz28[/MENTION] when are you getting your Sniper setup, installed and tuned? Mine is going on next Saturday then a couple days for tuning. Curious to see your numbers and how it drives/runs after Ken is done.

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
Ive seen him alot at Palm Beach raceway over the years. When I bought my 2012 gt500 i asked him about tuning it. He refused cause it had a vmp throttle body and 21psi of boost. Had an arrogant as fuuk attitude too. Then a couple years later i had a 2013 gt auto. Back when they where still barely around. Refused to tune it again cause it had a 90mm frpp throttle body and was too new. I got a half ass tune for free from jlt to prove it could be tuned and went 10.5 on a 150 shot. So I think he can tune but after speaking with him many times in person i dont believe ill ever give him an opportunity to tune anything i own again. He just has this "i dont give a shit" attitude that i dont like.

Sponsored

1badrz28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=23883]1badrz28[/MENTION] when are you getting your Sniper setup, installed and tuned? Mine is going on next Saturday then a couple days for tuning. Curious to see your numbers and how it drives/runs after Ken is done.
Just pulled the intake today and finished porting the TB. Sniper should show up late next week, I ordered PBD e85 tune yesterday and wont be on the rollers until May or so. I won't drive the car in the winter.

Last edited:

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Ive seen him alot at Palm Beach raceway over the years. When I bought my 2012 gt500 i asked him about tuning it. He refused cause it had a vmp throttle body and 21psi of boost. Had an arrogant as fuuk attitude too. Then a couple years later i had a 2013 gt auto. Back when they where still barely around. Refused to tune it again cause it had a 90mm frpp throttle body and was too new. I got a half ass tune for free from jlt to prove it could be tuned and went 10.5 on a 150 shot. So I think he can tune but after speaking with him many times in person i dont believe ill ever give him an opportunity to tune anything i own again. He just has this "i dont give a shit" attitude that i dont like.
Not trying to start anything here but who are you talking about ?

Ken or Lund ?

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
No tuner out there is going to make everyone happy, it's honestly impossible. I understand the post but no reason to make it a Lund vs Ken debate. Both are very dependable and legit tuners and you can't deny their success.

One thing that did bother me is someone stating a tune from Ken is like a tune from Lund. If you haven't checked the logs or seen each tune specifically in person I would say that's a bold and loaded statement.

We've worked directly with customers and our own cars with Ken at Palm Beach Dyno and he's been easy to work with, he's a gifted tuner and he knows what he's doing. Is he picky? Sure - but he knows what works.

Another comment was the blown motors being swept under the rug, I'd like to know exactly whom. Travis if you're going to make a statement like that you better be able to name the people and the situation or it's just hearsay.

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
No tuner out there is going to make everyone happy, it's honestly impossible. I understand the post but no reason to make it a Lund vs Ken debate. Both are very dependable and legit tuners and you can't deny their success.

One thing that did bother me is someone stating a tune from Ken is like a tune from Lund. If you haven't checked the logs or seen each tune specifically in person I would say that's a bold and loaded statement.

We've worked directly with customers and our own cars with Ken at Palm Beach Dyno and he's been easy to work with, he's a gifted tuner and he knows what he's doing. Is he picky? Sure - but he knows what works.

Another comment was the blown motors being swept under the rug, I'd like to know exactly whom. Travis if you're going to make a statement like that you better be able to name the people and the situation or it's just hearsay.
Who said I was talking about Ken? We've lost a few engines. And if every tuner out there is being honest, I think they've all done the same. There's a reason that we cap ignition timing at a certain spot. Risk versus reward isn't worth it when you're playing with a customer's very expensive engine.

I have no problem with Ken. I know that he is a talented tuner. I emailed him tonight to try and come to some resolution with this stuff. What I DO have a problem with is when it turns into a Lund versus PBD debate where Lund gets accused of being a sub-standard tuner. I know it's not Ken doing it directly.

The personal stuff between Lund and Ken is just that.. Personal. I don't like to air things out, and I don't like these petty arguments. But stuff like this forces my hand, because I will back up Lund Racing any day of the week. They've done too much for a lot of folks.
Sponsored