Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm cool with electric motor augmented-V8. That thing will be a rocketship!
Yeah... that's not what it will be though. "... will deliver V8 power..."

Meaning the hybrid version will deliver power similar to a V8. Hybrid much more likely to be 4 cylinder + electric.
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Stuff like this is inevitable. The writing was on the wall. It's still going to be a Mustang though.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A hybrid Mustang...
..the worst idea ever!! Just what we need, more complexity and weight in cars. :tsk:

Hybrid cars - another scam by the big automakers to make new cars even more expensive!

:rant:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
S650 should be clean sheet...some say the "6" corresponds to the relationship between it and the new D6 platform...It will more than likely have a stablemate (pun)...Lincoln Coupe.
S197 was created from the D2C platform...so it was never fully Mustang's.
The S197 and S550 have a lot in common sans IRS, A-pillar position, wider stance and other mounting points.
Mustang has had a history of using existing platforms from day one...
Falcon, Pinto, Fairmont, Jag/LS/Thunderbird...etc.
This time the Mustang needs to be lighter, more fuel efficient and have more in common with a 911 than a Camaro. IMHO we will see a hybrid and/or torque vectoring awd by mid decade.
This is from another thread. Sounds exciting to me.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
..the worst idea ever!! Just what we need, more complexity and weight in cars. :tsk:

Hybrid cars - another scam by the big automakers to make new cars even more expensive!

:rant:
I heard that hybrids are only being put in cars so that the government can install mind reading devices. Pass the tinfoil, conspiracy theorists unite!:lol::D

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I'm guessing these plans were set in motion ages ago. Good move by Ford. And there's no sense complaining, guys, it's only a matter of a couple decades before sports cars no longer even exist and cars are all driving themselves. Enjoy your manual V8's while you can.

StangFever2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
Wrong. They have no reason to do this as Chevy still produces only V8s in their half tons and the people buying the 5.0L F-150 are directly comparing to that, often times.

Ford gave the Coyote different cams in the truck that are more suited to low-end torque than the Mustang, which is why it produces 385 hp and not 435. This is not to say that it develops more peak torque, but more area under the curve in the low to mid-range.
Like hell they didn't! They purposely made the 5.0's "feel slow" by making the throttle response so slow and making it upshift too soon at part throttle. There is no reason why a truck should be in 6th gear at 45 mph. I also shouldn't have to the press the pedal halfway down just to get it to move with any sense of urgency.

Explain this to me then:

Stock: Traction control off...WOT = slight squealing of the tires then it hooks!
Tuned: Traction control on...WOT = no traction...none! I have to pedal it up to about 30 then it'll hook at WOT!

Don't even get me started on the transmission strategy. A 30 mph WOT hit = 2nd gear only. Why? I have to drop to 20 to get 1st or manually shift it down myself. I have 3.31's so 1st is good until about 42 so a downshift to 1st shouldn't be a problem at 30. Less so now that the redline is set to 6600. The 5.0 doesn't have turbos so it needs to use rpm to do it's work so why prevent it from downshifting to the lowest gear possible? The MPT tune on my F150 woke it the hell up! My truck goes sideways on the 1/2 upshift now!

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
The V-8 will stick around for at least another 25 years. It will take a lot of policy changes and federal mandates to kill it, and it will be slow. Displacement, hybrid, etc. is up in the air for the v-8, but there will be a v-8.

Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
If the new s650 changes a lot it puts better numbers at the track and its appealing to my eyes i will buy it and if they ditch the v8 i will keep my s550 GT and never sell it. Just have both.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
Food chain:

Shelby GTXXX - $55k

Hybrid - $45k

GT (V8, to be clear) - $37,5k

Eco - $29,999

StangFever2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
When the v8 does go away the mustang should not be produced. The mustang goes hand in hand with the v8 and i guarantee the first year the v8 is not an option the mustang sales will plummet, causing ford to bring the v8 back, or to just kill the mustang all together
I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't see why it has to be either a small turbo V-6 or a N/A V-8. Why not a smaller V-8 with turbos?

Fuel efficient and yet it's "badassery" is left intact!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]iD4fM6-hPX4[/MEDIA]"]

Status
Not open for further replies.