Sponsored

Anyone trade down from a GT to an Ecoboost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jww92201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
sure did and the eco turns so much nicer, of course I don't care to go fast. Overall the eco gets 30% better MPG. Both PP and 2015.
I agree to some degree, I have both but I enjoy the ecoboost more.
Sponsored

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I'm thinking of trading down from my GT to and ecoboost. The GT is just way too fast for me and it scares me.
I feel like this might be sarcasm...

The ecoboost is a strong/capable little engine. The biggest issue I had was driving a PP Eco 15 was the most boring experience of my life. Quickish? Yea kind of. Compelling with the sounds and feel of a Mustang? Not really. Felt like I hoped into a two door ST with RWD. And when I was sitting pretty in my ST, I sure as heck wasn't about to trade for something not that much different.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
I feel like this might be sarcasm...

The ecoboost is a strong/capable little engine. The biggest issue I had was driving a PP Eco 15 was the most boring experience of my life. Quickish? Yea kind of. Compelling with the sounds and feel of a Mustang? Not really. Felt like I hoped into a two door ST with RWD. And when I was sitting pretty in my ST, I sure as heck wasn't about to trade for something not that much different.
Ditto........

I have 650HP stroked LS3 in my Corvette and it is slow by today's standards.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
In before this thread gets shut down...

I wonder if all car forums are this bad? The amount of disrespect. Coming from a VW, no wonder people stereotyped mustang owners as being douchebags. This is very apparent with the way people act on this forum. Go stroke your ego somewhere else.

Sponsored

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP

I wonder if all car forums are this bad? The amount of disrespect. Coming from a VW, no wonder people stereotyped mustang owners as being douchebags. This is very apparent with the way people act on this forum. Go stroke your ego somewhere else.
You must be new to the internet. Go to Jalopnik, LS1Tech, Fuel Slut, YellowBullet, SVTPerformance etc. You will be shamed out of there in a heart beat.

This place is relatively mild. No different than anything you'd hear at the bar from your buddies talking shit just to talk shit.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'd just like to remind everyone of one of the particular rules of the forum:

3. Inter Model Bashing — To reiterate, the forum will not tolerate any bashing of another member's choice of vehicle, options/equipment, modifications, stock vs. non stock etc. Respect for all models (EcoBoost, V6, GT, GT350, etc) is expected of all members. Posting in a thread or section related to a specific trim/model for the sole purpose of bashing the vehicle will not be tolerated on the forums.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/announcement.php?f=56

Thank you.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
87 octane in a GT ? Why ?

Your not saving much and it doesn't run the same, there is a performance difference.

As for mileage...I avg 21-22 combined and I don't baby it either..
I run 87 octane in my GT/PP. That's what the manual calls for. The engine is purported to lose about 1% of its power when on 87, which to me is imperceptible.

I've run 87 at the track (AutoX and a single HPDE session) and couldn't tell a difference from when I've run 93. On the other hand, five bucks per tank does add up over the course of a year -- it may only be a couple hundred dollars, but it's there.

Even though 99% of the time I drive pretty conservatively I still only average between 19-20mpg (the city driving on my commute drops the average). However, I've not noticed this figure changing with 93.

My butt dyno cannot tell a difference between the fuel grades, I have no discernible pinging or performance subtractions, and the car doesn't seem to care. Therefore, I stick with 87 and call it good.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette

It isn't that bad. Porsche ones are the worst. BMW owners have to pass an "asshole" before they get a test drive, the Corvette one has the Z06 factor, but these guys have a bit of "class" warfare. Mostly GT guys that look down to anyone with less than a V8.

I think people should buy what they like, that they can afford. I am retired and really don't care what people think about what I drive and what I do.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I run 87 octane in my GT/PP. That's what the manual calls for. The engine is purported to lose about 1% of its power when on 87, which to me is imperceptible.

I've run 87 at the track (AutoX and a single HPDE session) and couldn't tell a difference from when I've run 93. On the other hand, five bucks per tank does add up over the course of a year -- it may only be a couple hundred dollars, but it's there.

Even though 99% of the time I drive pretty conservatively I still only average between 19-20mpg (the city driving on my commute drops the average). However, I've not noticed this figure changing with 93.

My butt dyno cannot tell a difference between the fuel grades, I have no discernible pinging or performance subtractions, and the car doesn't seem to care. Therefore, I stick with 87 and call it good.
I can't prove but I am 99% sure I am getting better mileage using 87 octane.

Sponsored

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

It isn't that bad. Porsche ones are the worst. BMW owners have to pass and "asshole" before they get a test drive, the Corvette one has the Z06 factor, but these guys have a bit of "class" warfare. Mostly GT guys that look down to anyone with less than a V8.

I think people should buy what they like, that they can afford. I am retired and really don't care what people think about what I drive and what I do.
True. I've definitely seen worse. It's hard to get an honest, unbiased opinion on here because of the whole v8 superiority complex. These same guys remind me of another crowd who likes to compensate. The brodozers (giant lifted trucks that serve no purpose). But it's cool. I like driving something different and proving the whole no replacement for displacement theory wrong.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
To add some mileage context. For future buyers.

GTPP 93 Octane: 16 MPG Average mix, 24 MPG highway, 25.5 MPG highway is the best.

Overall Fuel economy for 16000 miles is 18.9.

I could see someone going to an Ecoboost for the inherent neutral handling on the performance side.

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
Not to hijack but since mentioned...does anyone know what the HP loss if for the GT on 87? Think the 435hp is on 93, have seen the 1% figure in articles, I guess that is believable. My '12 V6 was 305 on 87 and 313 on 93 so thats only 2 o r 3%. However when I switched it would stumble a little a first like it had to relearn.

I have been switching between 87 and 93 have not noticed any difference even with spirited driving.

Does anyone think there is any risk running on 87? Should I switch to 93 at least after warranty?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Not to hijack but since mentioned...does anyone know what the HP loss if for the GT on 87? Think the 435hp is on 93, have seen the 1% figure in articles, I guess that is believable. My '12 V6 was 305 on 87 and 313 on 93 so thats only 2 o r 3%. However when I switched it would stumble a little a first like it had to relearn.

I have been switching between 87 and 93 have not noticed any difference even with spirited driving.

Does anyone think there is any risk running on 87? Should I switch to 93 at least after warranty?
No risk, the recommended fuel for the coyote is 87 octane. 93 'may' provide a very slight performance upgrade (it's not noticeable as you found out), but will not provide any other benefits. It will not add any longevity to the engine, it will not clean your valves better or provide better fuel economy. The only thing I noticed running premium fuel was my wallet seemed to feel quite a bit lighter.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.